Danish F-16s for Argentina

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is F-16 related.
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by ricnunes » 28 Mar 2024, 19:04

Corsair1963 wrote:Actually, in the case of Argentina I think something like the M-346FA would have been a far better option. It would be brand new and cheap to both own and operate.

Offers good performance and can be equipped with advanced weapons.

Actually the FA-50 Golden Eagle which is a very similar aircraft to the M-346FA was (seriously) considered by Argentina but it was blocked by the UK because the aircraft contained UK made components (such as the Ejection Seat and other components, if I'm not mistaken). Considering that the M-346FA is an Italian aircraft and how close the Italian defence industry is to the UK defence industry, I would say that there's a considerably big chance that the M-346FA may also have UK made components and as such this aircraft sale to Argentina could also be blocked by the UK.
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call EW and pretend like it’s new.

by laos » 30 Mar 2024, 13:54

The sale of Danish F-16s to Argentina requires US approval. I can't imagine the U.S. would not have consulted the UK on this decision. There are probably restrictions in this contract that we don't know about that ensure the security of British interests in the Falklands.

The planes as exported outside NATO require new software, changes to IFF, communications, etc. In the course of these changes, I am able to imagine restrictions being imposed that will reduce the air-to-ground mission capability of these aircraft.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by ricnunes » 30 Mar 2024, 14:35

laos wrote:The sale of Danish F-16s to Argentina requires US approval. I can't imagine the U.S. would not have consulted the UK on this decision. There are probably restrictions in this contract that we don't know about that ensure the security of British interests in the Falklands.

The planes as exported outside NATO require new software, changes to IFF, communications, etc. In the course of these changes, I am able to imagine restrictions being imposed that will reduce the air-to-ground mission capability of these aircraft.

Well for that matter then I think that these F-16s should also have restrictions to reduce their air-to-air capabilities as well since something like twelve (12) "unrestricted" F-16AM's should be more than able to deal with four (4) Eurofighter Typhoons which is what the British have in the Falklands and Argentina will receive 24-28 of them.
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call EW and pretend like it’s new.

by dtmdragon » 11 Apr 2024, 02:44

ricnunes wrote:
laos wrote:The sale of Danish F-16s to Argentina requires US approval. I can't imagine the U.S. would not have consulted the UK on this decision. There are probably restrictions in this contract that we don't know about that ensure the security of British interests in the Falklands.

Well for that matter then I think that these F-16s should also have restrictions to reduce their air-to-air capabilities as well since something like twelve (12) "unrestricted" F-16AM's should be more than able to deal with four (4) Eurofighter Typhoons which is what the British have in the Falklands and Argentina will receive 24-28 of them.

I'm thinking that by the time the Argentine F-16AM are operationaly capable the RAF Typhoons will have received thier upcoming ECRS Mk 2 radar upgrades. Combine that with the Meteor BVR missile plus a few more airframes stationed in the Falklands and I don't see any credible threat? Plus the US will control the tap of F-16 parts and weapons...

F-16.net Webmaster
F-16.net Webmaster

by Lieven » 12 Apr 2024, 11:24

According to the Argentinian media, President Milei underwent medical check-ups as preparations for a back-seat ride in a Danish F-16.

The head of state left for Miami and will then travel to Austin, Texas. At the end of his International tour, the president will travel to Denmark where he will meet with Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen. In Copenhagen, the leaders will sign a contract on the purchase of 24 F-16s to expand the Argentine Air Force fleet.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by boff180 » 12 Apr 2024, 18:40

dtmdragon wrote:I'm thinking that by the time the Argentine F-16AM are operationaly capable the RAF Typhoons will have received thier upcoming ECRS Mk 2 radar upgrades. Combine that with the Meteor BVR missile plus a few more airframes stationed in the Falklands and I don't see any credible threat? Plus the US will control the tap of F-16 parts and weapons...

Completely agree, that's 12 F-16AM's taking on four Typhoons which means a standard loadout of 16 Meteors at once.

That's assuming there are only four. In any real world situation if tensions rise there will be more than 4 Typhoons deployed plus a Carrier carrying F-35s near-by and at least one Type 45 Destroyer that can engage them from 75 miles away.

The threat they pose is minimal.
Andy Evans Aviation Photography
www.evansaviography.co.uk

by friberi » 16 Apr 2024, 13:05

It's done!

danish-f16-argentina-et-199.jpeg

In the background: ET-199

F-16.net Webmaster
F-16.net Webmaster

by Lieven » 16 Apr 2024, 14:14

Thank you for posting this Friberi, and welcome to the forum!

Also wanted to add that the first 4 F16Bs and 2 F-16As should arrive in Argentina in 2025, with completion of the deliveries in 2028.
The home base for the aircraft will be the VI Air Brigade in Tandil, and maintenance will be performed at the Río Cuarto Material Area.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by LinkF16SimDude » 16 Apr 2024, 22:17

More images on The Aviationist with some Twitter/X links:

https://theaviationist.com/2024/04/16/a ... aks-cover/

by friberi » 17 Apr 2024, 03:42

Lieven wrote:Thank you for posting this Friberi, and welcome to the forum!

Also wanted to add that the first 4 F16Bs and 2 F-16As should arrive in Argentina in 2025, with completion of the deliveries in 2028.
The home base for the aircraft will be the VI Air Brigade in Tandil, and maintenance will be performed at the Río Cuarto Material Area.

Thank you very much for the welcome! There is a lot of information and images in the Argentine forums, and we are very happy to have unlocked a historical issue that should have happened 20 years ago.

Here are some images of the official patches.

peace-condor-f-16-program.jpg

peace-condor-f-16-program-patch.jpeg

F-16.net Webmaster
F-16.net Webmaster

by Lieven » 17 Apr 2024, 13:49

LinkF16SimDude wrote:More images on The Aviationist with some Twitter/X links:
https://theaviationist.com/2024/04/16/a ... aks-cover/

Gotcha!

Image posted by the Argentinian Ministry of Defense showing single seat F-16s that appear to have been doctored to add the livery and markings of the Argentinian Air Force.

Image posted by the Argentinian Ministry of Defense showing single seat F-16s that appear to have been doctored to add the livery and markings of the Argentinian Air Force.

The first F-16BM with the Argentinian insignias. The aircraft, the F-16BM 86-0199/ET-199, is painted in dark grey “Have Glass” color scheme, with full color Argentine flag and roundel. The F-16 is loaded with an inert GBU-31 JDAM and BRU-61 rack with four GBU-39 Small Diameter Bombs. [Photo by Forsvarsministeriet]

by mirageaero » 17 Apr 2024, 13:58

I have visited this site for many years, because I love this bird.

Today, finally, I decided to register.

Regards to all.

by garceswester » 17 Apr 2024, 15:04

Felicitaciones Fuerza Aerea Argentina!!!

F-16.net Webmaster
F-16.net Webmaster

by Lieven » 17 Apr 2024, 20:45

mirageaero wrote:I have visited this site for many years, because I love this bird.

Today, finally, I decided to register and I want to share the official patch of the Argentine F-16.

Thank you for sharing and welcome to the forum!

F-16.net Webmaster
F-16.net Webmaster

by Lieven » 17 Apr 2024, 20:46

garceswester wrote:Felicitaciones Fuerza Aerea Argentina!!!

Congrats with your first forum post in 18 years! :D

Previous