First Australian C-130 squadron and first non-American squadron to receive the C-130 with 12 C-130As received in 1958. These served the squadron till 1978 when converted to the C-130H model. For a short period in 1999 to 2000 the squadron received four C-130Es while sister squadron was converting to the C-130J. During November of 2006 the squadron began conversion to the C-17 Globemaster III.
First Received C-130Es in 1966 at RAAF Station Richmond. Began conversion to the C-130J when the first arrived on September 7, 1999. It should be noted that 486 Squadron provides maintenance for RAAF C-130s.