C-130 engine failure question & video

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is C-130 related.

by cambridge1 » 26 Feb 2015, 22:59

I filmed this Qatar owned C-130 take off:

Engine 4 failed. Is that the engine on the far right of the plane if your looking at it from the rear ?

Anyway it made an emergency landing within 1 hour of my video and it got down ok. So how much does an engine cost if say it was a total write off? $500,000 us dollars each?

Thanks.

by h-bomb » 27 Feb 2015, 04:18

Per Daegel Rolls-Royce AE 2100 cost just under 2 mil:

http://www.deagel.com/Turboprop-Aircraf ... 09001.aspx

Repair cost of course depend on the real issue.

F-16.net Editor
F-16.net Editor

by Jon » 27 Feb 2015, 15:39

Yeah, you would think it would have to be pretty catastrophic for an entire engine to be replaced.

by wbh » 02 Jul 2015, 02:46

There are many reasons for an engine shutdown ,in flight ,that do not mean that the engine completely failed.
There could be a propeller malfunction , generator failure ( without disconnect ) ,fire or overheat ( usually associated with bleed air leak ) or visible fluid leak. These can be repaired on the ground & the engine returned to service.The killer is low power section oil pressure , this is almost always a total failure ,requiring replacement . I have had only one oil pressure related failure in nearly 6,000 Hrs of C-130 flying ,most models ,80% of which was Engineering Flight Test or FCF's. FCF /Test pilots ,like myself, experience all kinds of non failure type shut downs.I'm 75 years old & still here to write about it.

by patriot0311 » 07 Mar 2017, 09:35

cambridge1 wrote:I filmed this Qatar owned C-130 take off:

Engine 4 failed. Is that the engine on the far right of the plane if your looking at it from the rear ?

Anyway it made an emergency landing within 1 hour of my video and it got down ok. So how much does an engine cost if say it was a total write off? $500,000 us dollars each?

Thanks.

I'm sorry, but I didn't see an engine failure. Yes, that is #4 and the prop was still turning. If they had a prop or engine failure, the prop would be feathered & stopped. Also, they were turning to the right, that would never happen with an engine/prop problem. You NEVER turn into a dead engine. You level the wings, fly straight ahead, get the gear up, get your speed up and execute the emergency checklist, ASAP. They may have been doing a crew check ride, where they actually pull engine power back. However, the #1 engine is the critical engine and would never be pulled back. Did they have fire trucks waiting for their landing? We pulled them back for engine out landing practice too! In fact, losing the #4 engine, when you are light, is not really any big deal, IF you go "by the book". We practiced them many, many, many times. :shock: :D

by wbh » 14 Mar 2017, 21:50

Minimum control speed for the C-130/l-100 is as follows . It is the minimum speed ,KIAS,at which directional control of the airplane can be maintained under the following conditions : A. Failure of the critical engine , number one (1) , left hand most engine. B.Propeller windmilling on NTS ( negative torque preventative system ). C. Full right rudder. D Five (5 )degrees bank away from the dead engine ,right bank. E. landing gear down. F. Flaps 50%.G. remaining engines ,2,3,& 4 at max power 19,600 inch pounds of torque. if this occurs the recommended maneuver speed is 150 KIAS ,this is why the flight manual,(Dash-1,Natops AFM ) all recommend raising the Landing gear and accelerating to 150 KIAS as soon as possible if engine failure occurs on takeoff at or above Minimum Control Speed ,The airplane can be safely turned in either direction at 150 KIAS in the aforementioned condition and even better if the propeller is feathered. this airspeed permits safe entry into the traffic pattern or an Instrument approach.On the FAA Airline Transport Pilot ,ATP, the No. one throttle is retarded to flight idle on takeoff at Minimum control speed and the successful candidate must complete the takeoff and fly an instrument approach with No. one in flight idle ,all the way to landing.