ACH-47A Guns-a-go-go

Helicopters and tilt-rotor aircraft
Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by charlielima223 » 09 Nov 2018, 07:47

We all know the the CH-47 to the premiere heavy lift utility helicopter for the US Military. In operations in Afghanistan the CH-47 proved to be invaluable with their speed, range, and ability to operate at higher altitudes over conventional rotary-winged aircraft. While wondering aimlessly on the interwebs I came across a gunship version of the CH-47.

https://www.businessinsider.com/this-mo ... hip-2015-9

Has me wondering if they could resurrect a gunship version of the CH-47

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by hythelday » 09 Nov 2018, 18:01

They could, but why?

IIRC Chinook was the most shot down helo in Afghanistan - in terms of absolute numbers, dunno about relative. Big target for RPGs and HMGs, even for gunners using Kentucky windage.

It could probably carry more weapons than an Apache, but then again will there ever be a target environment rich enough to expend them all before bingo fuel?

Chinook is fast, but high speed isn't a priority for attack helos, and now there also are tiltrotors. Hiding in the folds of terrain features will definitely be harder with it.

It's big, so it will always take up more space than Apache or Cobra aboard ships, where space matters.

Maybe once they figure out lasers they'll need something bigger than Apache to carry it. Chinooks might not be still relevant by then.

Why didn't they go forward with it in the first place by the way?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 09 Nov 2018, 23:04

Got AC-130 for that.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

by viper12 » 10 Nov 2018, 09:38

I'm pretty sure Discovery Channel made some documentary about this program some 20 years ago, but I can't find it.

If you want to read more about this program, there's this website : http://www.chinook-helicopter.com/chino ... agogo.html

As to why a Chinook gunship isn't resurrected, it's pretty simple ; the capabilities it offered 50 years ago can be covered by a mix of attack helicopters, armed drones, AC-130's and fighter jets, while the costs and risks such a gunship entails are pretty unreasonable nowadays.
Everytime you don't tell the facts, you make Putin stronger.

Everytime you're hit by Dunning-Kruger, you make Putin stronger.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by KamenRiderBlade » 10 Nov 2018, 17:06

Doesn't the AC-130 do this job better?

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by edpop » 11 Nov 2018, 03:06

Saw Chinook gunships in action in Vietnam in 1967............along with AC-130 gunships. At night it was quite a spectacle to see them working over a target. Had to feel sorry for the guys on the other end.
Vietnam veteran (70th Combat Engineer Battalion)(AnKhe & Pleiku) 1967
Retired from Chrysler Engineering

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by charlielima223 » 11 Nov 2018, 03:28

I get it that Special Operations have the AC-130 but last I checked, USAFSOC doesn't have that many of them in inventory. According to af.mil fact sheet page there are only 17 in active service...

https://www.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-Sheets ... 6/ac-130u/

I mean I agree that there is plenty of overlapping capability when you add in CAS from fixed winged assets and attack helicopters yet one thing I see lacking is an dedicated attack helicopter organic to the 160th SOAR. If they don't have a Cobra, Apache, Spooky, or Reaper tasked/assigned to them they have to rely on an attack version of the MH-6 and MH-60

I'm pretty sure the 160th do not have Apaches or Cobras in their regiment.

I'm just throwing some ideas around is all.