Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by VarkVet » 02 Feb 2008, 21:21

My eyes have seen the glory of the Lord and the esthetics of the Flightline

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by StolichnayaStrafer » 03 Feb 2008, 06:18

That's a bummer- glad the pilot is ok! :shock:

I wonder if it was due to the same problem that got them all grounded in the first place. :?
Why is the vodka gone?
Why is the vodka always gone... oh- that's why!
Hide the vodka!!!

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by VarkVet » 04 Feb 2008, 19:01

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by VarkVet » 10 May 2008, 17:25

Air Force officials release findings on F-15 accident

5/7/2008 - HICKAM AIR FORCE BASE, Hawaii (AFPN) -- Pacific Air Forces officials here released the results of its investigation May 6 of the F-15D Eagle crash that occurred approximately 60 miles off of Oahu Feb. 1.

The accident investigation board, convened by PACAF officials, determined that there was no clear and convincing evidence to determine a root cause for the mishap.

However, the AIB did find sufficient evidence to conclude that both rudders failed in a mid-range position to the left, most likely due to a failure involving the Aileron-Rudder Interconnect. This failure induced a yawing, rolling motion to the left that the pilot was unable to correct.

Unable to get the aircraft to respond to his controls, the pilot safely ejected from the aircraft and suffered only minor injuries. The aircraft was destroyed upon impact. The financial loss of the aircraft totaled $43,777,279. No other property damage or injuries to military members or civilians resulted from the mishap.

The aircraft was assigned to the 199th Fighter Squadron at Hickam Air Force Base and was part of a two-aircraft basic fighter maneuvers training mission, involving one-on-one offensive and defensive maneuvering.

Source: http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123097626