Collection of aircraft mishap pictures

Military aircraft accidents/mishaps.
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by boff180 » 20 Dec 2005, 01:47

TC, this was a very serious incident from a few years ago...

It happened in the Ukraine; some smart prat parked an IL-76 on the flight line for static... its tail petruding out over the crowd line.

The Su-27 clipped the Il-76's Tail during a low pass sending the aircraft into a cartwheel

Only problem, the Su-27 went into the crowd and killed alot of people.

As a direct result of this accident; crowdline distances from the display line were increased again in europe!!!

Andy
Andy Evans Aviation Photography
www.evansaviography.co.uk

F-16.net Moderator
F-16.net Moderator

by TC » 20 Dec 2005, 02:04

D@mn, you'd think they'd have learned something from Ramstein '89.

Beers and MiGs were made to be pounded!

F-16.net Moderator
F-16.net Moderator

by TC » 20 Dec 2005, 02:11

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=9 ... _id=950224

Yes, it was a writeoff following a demo flight.

Beers and MiGs were made to be pounded!

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by JR007 » 20 Dec 2005, 04:06

TC,

The driver went to prison, as I recall for that one as they were way outside the approved airshow routine.

Here's a couple more...
Attachments
Su27-Ukraine1.jpg
Su27-Ukraine2.jpg
Su27-Ukraine4.jpg
Su27-Ukraine.jpg
Burning debris never reversed on anyone…

JR

F-16.net Moderator
F-16.net Moderator

by TC » 20 Dec 2005, 06:50

D@mn. In shot #2, is that the K-36 (with stabilizing drogues deployed) that I see just above the fireball, or is it some random chunk of debris? If anyone got out of that, it would be a miracle, and if he SURVIVED, it would be an even BIGGER miracle. I just hate that he had to take some folks with him.

From what that Eagle mishap looked like, it looks like he tried to land it hot, and at the wrong AOA, and sheared the gear off. Am I right? Despite the writeoff, it does look like they would have been able to cannibalize quite a bit off of that bird. If the pilot did that for being reckless and/or stupid, he deserved to go to prison. I know another similar incident involving two Eagles in Iceland which resulted in a fatality...but that's a story for another day class.

To Err is Human. To Forgive is NOT ACC Policy.

by agilefalcon16 » 20 Dec 2005, 13:42

Yes, those photos of the Su-27's are sad and even somewhat disturbing. I've found (if anyone's interested) a short video that shows multiple aircraft accidents/crashes. Some involve aircraft like: V-22, Mig-29, B-52, Su-27, and some Russian heliocopers. Some of these are very sad. :cry:

Here's the link: http://mm.256.com/

*Note* There's multiple videos at this site, look for the one named: "Number of plane crash movies although the first one is of a fighter breaking the sound barrier. Some good ones".

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by JR007 » 21 Dec 2005, 03:38

TC,

Yup, that’s one of the K-36s that saved both guys back sides. It was a bad deal, not flying as briefed, poor airshow setup with aircraft too near the flight line, flying to close to the crowd line, the list goes on and on…

I had to find some info about this but it looks like they are appealing their sentences.

News / 24 June 2005 | 13:55
Ukrainian court sentences air show crash pilots

The military appeals court of the Central Region has sentenced those guilty of the Sknyliv tragedy to 6-14 years in prison, M&C News reported.

The decision was adopted by a court session in Lviv today.

Pilot Vladimir Tonopar, who was the commander of the Su-27 aircraft at the time of air show at the Sknyliv aerodrome on 27 July 2002, was sentenced to 14 years in prison. He was also ordered to pay 7.2m UAH to the state as compensation for losses caused as a result of the crash.

The second pilot, Yuri Yegorov, was sentenced to eight years in prison and ordered to pay 2.458m UAH.

Anatoly Tretyakov, the commander of the 14th air unit, as well as the deputy flight commander, Yuri Yatsyuk, were sentenced to six years and ordered to pay 700,000 UAH each.

The court gave Anatoly Lukinykh, the head of the flight safety chief of the 14th air unit, a four-year suspended sentence and ordered him to pay 200,000 UAH.

Oleg Dyubetsky, who was responsible for flight preparations, was found not guilty in the absence of corpus delicti.

After the verdict was read out, Tonopar said that "this is not a court, but a parody of a court" and that he would appeal to the court of appeals at the Supreme Court of Ukraine.

The four people who received sentences were arrested in the court room.

14:26 2002-07-29
Su-27 Crash at Lvov Air Show Is Post-Soviet Ukraine's Worst Tragedy

Final figures released indicate that 83 people died and 199 were injured as a result of a disaster at the Sknilov aerodrome near Lvov, in which an Ukrainian Air Force Su-27 taking part in an air show crashed into the crowd. The tragedy occurred on Saturday at 12:45 local time, when the plane, which was performing an advanced manoeuvre, suddenly began to lose height and plunged into spectators. Both pilots managed to eject.

The catastrophe in Sknilov is the worst in post-Soviet Ukraine's short history. The press service of the Ukrainian Ministry of Emergency Situations announced that 18 bodies remain unidentified due the seriousness of the injuries they received. Criminal proceedings have been launched against the pilots of the Su-27. Ukrainian Defence Minister Vladimir Shkidchenko immediately tendered his resignation to President Leonid Kuchma after the disaster. A day of mourning has been declared in Ukraine today. The presidents of Russia, France, Georgia and Moldavia, as well as the German Chancellor and the Council of Europe have offered their condolences.
Burning debris never reversed on anyone…

JR

F-16.net Moderator
F-16.net Moderator

by TC » 21 Dec 2005, 05:12

Oh ok, I thought you meant the Eagle driver was arrested. So it was the Flanker crew. I got my stories mixed up there. Why arrest the WSO? What did he do? To my way of thinking, he was just along for the ride. The aircraft commander is ultimately the one responsible for what goes on in the jet.

To Err is Human. To Forgive is NOT ACC Policy.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by parrothead » 21 Dec 2005, 05:22

TC, I think you have your answer right in your closing statement.

To Err is Human. To Forgive is NOT Ukranian policy.
No plane on Sunday, maybe be one come Monday...
www.parrotheadjeff.com

Previous