Comparison by Spurts

New and old developments in aviation technology.
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 20 Aug 2020, 11:13

That's what I figured, thanks for confirming.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by madrat » 20 Aug 2020, 12:37

Best I could find F/A-18 with IMER

https://nara.getarchive.net/media/priva ... ?zoom=true

and

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by disconnectedradical » 20 Aug 2020, 15:54

Wouldn't Super Hornet have issues with rocket pods due to the way the pylons are canted outwards? I suppose they can modify the mounting system or have a special adapter, but I would imagine that's extra weight.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 20 Aug 2020, 16:04

disconnectedradical wrote:Wouldn't Super Hornet have issues with rocket pods due to the way the pylons are canted outwards? I suppose they can modify the mounting system or have a special adapter, but I would imagine that's extra weight.

That's what was discussed earlier. I assumed, incorrectly, that the weapon computer just moved the pipper on the HUD a few degrees off center since rocket pods were listed in the NATOPS, but I was corrected by 35_aoa.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 28 Sep 2020, 13:54

Okay, the Super Hornet is finished for now. I need to go back and fix the F-16s loadouts for the AG missions, then I move on to the Typhoon.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by eloise » 29 Sep 2020, 04:48

sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:Okay, the Super Hornet is finished for now. I need to go back and fix the F-16s loadouts for the AG missions, then I move on to the Typhoon.

:D super hornet seem to take less time than F-16?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 29 Sep 2020, 10:57

It did. Which was very surprising to me.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by eloise » 29 Sep 2020, 14:46

Consider the range and speed of Meteor, it is such a shame that it can't be used for air to ground role

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 29 Sep 2020, 16:03

eloise wrote:Consider the range and speed of Meteor, it is such a shame that it can't be used for air to ground role

That body with an AESA seeker, multimode/multimission programing, multipurpose warhead. Could be neat. In the meantime, I need to get the F-16 redone for CAS and maybe deep strike too.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by hornetfinn » 30 Sep 2020, 06:57

eloise wrote:Consider the range and speed of Meteor, it is such a shame that it can't be used for air to ground role

What targets do you see for that kind of missile? It has quite small warhead and seeker and fuze are not well suited against small ground targets. With another seeker and new software it might be usable against SAM firecontrol radars but I'm not sure anybody would bother developing that when there is AARGM-ER available.

How about surface-to-air version of Meteor? It would need a booster and other upgrades, but it would likely have pretty impressive performance for such a small missile. Of course there are already missiles like ESSM Block 2, CAMM-ER, Barak 8 and Stunner/Skyceptor available.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by eloise » 30 Sep 2020, 07:53

hornetfinn wrote:What targets do you see for that kind of missile? It has quite small warhead and seeker and fuze are not well suited against small ground targets. With another seeker and new software it might be usable against SAM firecontrol radars but I'm not sure anybody would bother developing that when there is AARGM-ER available

Mainly SAM fire control or search radar. There are AARGM-ER available but you can't carry as many AARGM-ER as Meteor and with a ramjet engine, Meteor can sustain high supersonic speed for longer period of time.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by hornetfinn » 30 Sep 2020, 09:06

eloise wrote:
hornetfinn wrote:What targets do you see for that kind of missile? It has quite small warhead and seeker and fuze are not well suited against small ground targets. With another seeker and new software it might be usable against SAM firecontrol radars but I'm not sure anybody would bother developing that when there is AARGM-ER available

Mainly SAM fire control or search radar. There are AARGM-ER available but you can't carry as many AARGM-ER as Meteor and with a ramjet engine, Meteor can sustain high supersonic speed for longer period of time.

I can definitely see the advantages of such a missile. I think it might well be possible with advanced AESA seeker which could act both in anti-radiation and radar modes. With GaN technology it should have pretty impressive bandwith coverage, although definitely not anything like a dedicated missile like AARGM-ER. Even better would be if it also had IIR seeker for very high accuracy due to small warhead.

But anyway, these comparisons by spurts are really interesting. Than you spurts! I have to find some time to study them thorougly.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 01 Oct 2020, 13:50

Touch up of the F-16 is going to be delayed. Something broke in the wave drag calculation when I had to modify it for the SHornet. I thought my modification was compatible with my F-15/16 model data, but apparently not.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by eloise » 02 Oct 2020, 09:14

sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:Touch up of the F-16 is going to be delayed. Something broke in the wave drag calculation when I had to modify it for the SHornet. I thought my modification was compatible with my F-15/16 model data, but apparently not.

The complexity and details of your estimation is unbelieveable

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 02 Oct 2020, 11:58

I was able to fix it. Now I am re doing CAS and then I'm all set to start the Tiffy.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer

PreviousNext