Turkey's Long Range Air Defence System Acquisitions

Discuss air warfare, doctrine, air forces, historic campaigns, etc.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

airforces_freak

Banned

  • Posts: 458
  • Joined: 15 Jun 2011, 03:26

Unread post17 Jan 2018, 01:33

Turkey has now signed 3 seperate contracts for 3 seperate long-range air defence systems;

The first controversial step was the S-400 acquisition from Russia which will use Turkish IFF systems;
The second with EUROSAM for a derivative of the SAMP/T-Aster: http://www.eurosam.com/newsroom/#/1188
And the third signed today with ASELSAN-ROKETSAN-TUBITAK-SAGE, a wholly indigenous solution: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkey ... eal-125826

On top of all this Turkey has PAC-3 missiles protecting NATO infrastructure in Turkey.

What would be the advantages and disadvantages of fielding 3 seperate Air Defence Systems + 1 NATO system?
Offline
User avatar

XanderCrews

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 5916
  • Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 19:42

Unread post17 Jan 2018, 02:14

airforces_freak wrote:Turkey has now signed 3 seperate contracts for 3 seperate long-range air defence systems;

The first controversial step was the S-400 acquisition from Russia which will use Turkish IFF systems;
The second with EUROSAM for a derivative of the SAMP/T-Aster: http://www.eurosam.com/newsroom/#/1188
And the third signed today with ASELSAN-ROKETSAN-TUBITAK-SAGE, a wholly indigenous solution: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkey ... eal-125826

On top of all this Turkey has PAC-3 missiles protecting NATO infrastructure in Turkey.

What would be the advantages and disadvantages of fielding 3 seperate Air Defence Systems + 1 NATO system?


Additional expense and Byzantine style decision making
Choose Crews
Offline
User avatar

neptune

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2885
  • Joined: 24 Oct 2008, 00:03
  • Location: Houston

Unread post17 Jan 2018, 03:25

XanderCrews wrote:...On top of all this Turkey has PAC-3 missiles protecting NATO infrastructure in Turkey... 3 seperate Air Defence Systems + 1 NATO system? Additional expense and Byzantine style decision making


...."Who??" would attack the Turks and their 240+ F-16C/D with 4 Boeing 737 AEW&C and all supported by 7 KC-135R tankers?
- Syria, not so much after their dismantlement by the civil war?
- Russia, not after buying the impenetrable S-400!
- Iran, who supported the loser Syrian regime?
- Greece, over little islands?

- No One!, NATO is the "Big Fist" that hangs out in the background while watching both Iran and Russia from Turkey. Soon, Turkey will begin to receive the 100+ F-35As, courtesy of their NATO membership and those will replace their older F-16s. Not to mention the LHD development with potential for the extra few F-35Bs.
:wink:
Offline

airforces_freak

Banned

  • Posts: 458
  • Joined: 15 Jun 2011, 03:26

Unread post17 Jan 2018, 11:37

I think Turkey of late perceives threats from Egypt, Saudi Arabia/UAE and Armenia. Turkey is also concerned that the YPG could get its hands on SRBM's if State actors begin to arm it. Syria is very fluid at the moment and you never know when Syria (Asad), Iran or Russia side with the YPG. E.g. Look at the Houthis in Yemen firing SRBM's at Saudi Arabia.
Offline

hornetfinn

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2769
  • Joined: 13 Mar 2013, 08:31
  • Location: Finland

Unread post18 Jan 2018, 14:06

I just stumbled upon this very interesting analysis document:
https://setav.org/en/assets/uploads/201 ... sis_26.pdf

It's made by SETA which is Turkish research institute. Interesting to see their point of view about this issue.
Offline

airforces_freak

Banned

  • Posts: 458
  • Joined: 15 Jun 2011, 03:26

Unread post14 Feb 2018, 10:37

Turkey makes a further additional order for S-400 systems from Russia.

The second deal is for another 4 systems and includes licensed production of "non-critical components".


Turkey has always been interested in the Rockets as it has its own long-range IFF systems and Radar systems.

http://tass.com/defense/989931
Offline
User avatar

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 5332
  • Joined: 22 Jul 2005, 03:23

Unread post15 Feb 2018, 14:27

Turkey needs to be booted out of the F-35 program. With them cozying up to Russia this way there's no way in hell F-35 data doesn't make it back to Moscow.
"There I was. . ."
Offline

mtrmen

Banned

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 15 Feb 2018, 21:07

Unread post15 Feb 2018, 21:22

sferrin wrote:Turkey needs to be booted out of the F-35 program. With them cozying up to Russia this way there's no way in hell F-35 data doesn't make it back to Moscow.


Here we go again...

1) It is so childish to claim such nonsense theories. And yes, your puppet FETO false soldiers would do such treachery when ordered just to harm Turkey. But sorry, they are kicked out from the army and can't help you...

2) Perhaps the U.S. should be booted out of the F-35 program for openly supporting and arming FULL MARXIST/COMMUNIST/TERRORIST group of PKK/YPG which has been harming Turkey for 30 years. But, sorry. I forgot that U.S. is the super power and so strong that your some Muslim/Turkish hatred generals and politicians CAN DO ANY STUPID THING they want, but can not be criticised...
Offline
User avatar

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 5332
  • Joined: 22 Jul 2005, 03:23

Unread post15 Feb 2018, 23:03

mtrmen wrote:
sferrin wrote:Turkey needs to be booted out of the F-35 program. With them cozying up to Russia this way there's no way in hell F-35 data doesn't make it back to Moscow.


Here we go again...

1) It is so childish to claim such nonsense theories. And yes, your puppet FETO false soldiers would do such treachery when ordered just to harm Turkey. But sorry, they are kicked out from the army and can't help you...

2) Perhaps the U.S. should be booted out of the F-35 program for openly supporting and arming FULL MARXIST/COMMUNIST/TERRORIST group of PKK/YPG which has been harming Turkey for 30 years. But, sorry. I forgot that U.S. is the super power and so strong that your some Muslim/Turkish hatred generals and politicians CAN DO ANY STUPID THING they want, but can not be criticised...


Better safe than sorry. Go buy some T-50s to go with your S-400s sweetie.
"There I was. . ."

Return to Air Power

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests