Can modern LPI radars be detected by modern RWR systems?

Discuss air warfare, doctrine, air forces, historic campaigns, etc.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by user12344 » 11 Sep 2015, 22:00

Can modern LPI radars be detected by modern RWR systems ?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 11 Sep 2015, 22:13

Since there are only two "modern" LPI radars flying and neither has been used as such vs any foreign fighter, that question cannot be answered.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by smsgtmac » 11 Sep 2015, 23:12

user12344 wrote:Can modern LPI radars be detected by modern RWR systems ?

The specifics of the question are too vague to answer without further clarification. To begin with, let's assume you mean at some useful range.Then ask if by 'detect' is it meant the system receiver receives a signal? Then the answer is yes if it is in the bandwidth of the receiver. If by 'detect', it is meant that the RWR discerns the signal as anything but noise, then the answer is not very likely. If by 'detect', it is meant that the RWR not only discerns the signal as something other than noise, but also determines it is actually looking at a threat and provides useful warning to the operator, then the answer is there is an extremely, excessive, impossibly ridiculous low probability that the RWR will detect the LPIR, as the LPIR itself is designed to have a very low probability of intercept against dedicated, ground based systems that make a RWR's signal detection and processing performance look like a child's toy.

Now I have a question. If you are going to keep throwing out these highly abstract and simplistic questions that take far more time than most people I know have just to drill down to the essence of the question, much less answer it, Could you do us a favor and start a "User 12344 Has A Question" thread and progressively populate it as something occurs to you to ask?

While I may be on the one end of the spectrum of original thread-to-total post ratios ( I think I've started 4 threads or so), I believe you are approaching championship status on the other end with around 15 out of 22ish comments as 'question starter' threads. If you're going to be around here any length of time at all, I shudder to think at what the future holds if you don't start collating the requests. But I also think it is in your own best interest to dial back on the proliferation, because if you don't, then pretty soon people won't be offering any feedback at all.
--The ultimate weapon is the mind of man.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 12 Sep 2015, 10:49

smsgtmac wrote:

The specifics of the question are too vague to answer without further clarification. To begin with, let's assume you mean at some useful range.Then ask if by 'detect' is it meant the system receiver receives a signal? Then the answer is yes if it is in the bandwidth of the receiver. If by 'detect', it is meant that the RWR discerns the signal as anything but noise, then the answer is not very likely. If by 'detect', it is meant that the RWR not only discerns the signal as something other than noise, but also determines it is actually looking at a threat and provides useful warning to the operator, then the answer is there is an extremely, excessive, impossibly ridiculous low probability that the RWR will detect the LPIR, as the LPIR itself is designed to have a very low probability of intercept against dedicated, ground based systems that make a RWR's signal detection and processing performance look like a child's toy.

Now I have a question. If you are going to keep throwing out these highly abstract and simplistic questions that take far more time than most people I know have just to drill down to the essence of the question, much less answer it, Could you do us a favor and start a "User 12344 Has A Question" thread and progressively populate it as something occurs to you to ask?

While I may be on the one end of the spectrum of original thread-to-total post ratios ( I think I've started 4 threads or so), I believe you are approaching championship status on the other end with around 15 out of 22ish comments as 'question starter' threads. If you're going to be around here any length of time at all, I shudder to think at what the future holds if you don't start collating the requests. But I also think it is in your own best interest to dial back on the proliferation, because if you don't, then pretty soon people won't be offering any feedback at all.

I second the motion :thumb:
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by snypa777 » 28 Nov 2015, 01:02

Well, they are called "LPI", not "NPI" so i would say if a system is optimized to detect certain transmissions its possible, if the RWRs gear is sub optimal then obviously no, its the same story for any emissions detection.
"I may not agree with what you say....but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

by laos » 03 Dec 2015, 12:19

The example of LPI radar is Frequency-modulated continuous-wave radar. For sake of the example let’s say has an average power of 0.1W, can detect ocean-going ship at range of 20 miles, itself being detected at range of 1 mile. Can it be detected ? Sure and so what.

by gideonic » 03 Dec 2015, 12:33

smsgtmac wrote:If by 'detect', it is meant that the RWR discerns the signal as anything but noise, then the answer is not very likely.
What about VLO aircraft ? Compared to a 4th gen. aircraft, for tracking a F-35, you might need orders of magnitude of more power in your signal at a similar range.

I guess that changes the picture right ? Or are you essentially saying that it's nigh impossible for an F-35 to detect that a F-22 is tracking it via RWR ?

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by eloise » 03 Dec 2015, 14:20

gideonic wrote: What about VLO aircraft ? Compared to a 4th gen. aircraft, for tracking a F-35, you might need orders of magnitude of more power in your signal at a similar range.

I guess that changes the picture right ? Or are you essentially saying that it's nigh impossible for an F-35 to detect that a F-22 is tracking it via RWR ?

Surely RCS also matter alot for detection range of radar vs ESM
IMG_20151203_131654.jpg