Russian Guided Weapons

Discuss air warfare, doctrine, air forces, historic campaigns, etc.
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by StolichnayaStrafer » 14 May 2009, 00:14

skyhigh wrote:Why not deploy speedbrakes and chop engine power while diving, just like a dive bomber, to control its rate of descent and not kamikaze onto the deck?

That would earn you a nomination for the illustrious Darwin Award and get you a nice plot at Arlington National Cemetery. Diving slow at a target nowadays is certain death- nobody would be that stupid. Didn't you ever hear of the phrase "speed is life"???
Why is the vodka gone?
Why is the vodka always gone... oh- that's why!
Hide the vodka!!!

by thegreekness » 14 May 2009, 02:03

skyhigh wrote:
thegreekness wrote:Modern jets fly so fast that one tiny miscalculation would hurl the bomb way off target. Basic high-school physics...

Why not deploy speedbrakes and chop engine power while diving, just like a dive bomber, to control its rate of descent and not kamikaze onto the deck?

that's called a "stall" - I'm sure you know what that is. Usually bad for aiming, avoiding enemy fire, and flying in general.

(Referencing my own quote here) When you get to high school, read more physics books, less video-game guides.
"You wanna get out of the way? We're trying to land here..." - Hot Shots

F-16.net Moderator
F-16.net Moderator

by TC » 14 May 2009, 03:39

I'm afraid no one here has really gotten it right, but Stoli, you get half credit for not wanting to stay in a slow dive for too long. It does give the gomers a good firing solution.

Greek, you also get half credit on small miscalculations leading to large misses.

Skyhigh...do some better research.

If you guys really want to learn about how CCIP works, I'd suggest PM'ing Gums or finding some of his posts on CCIP bombing in the A-7 and the Viper. He's the real deal. Been there, done that, and gotten several T-shirts. He can teach us all a thing or two on how dropping GP bombs accurately really works. For example, the Stuka method Skyhigh speaks of is dead, buried and gone. Dropping stupid bombs is still done, but nowhere near as often as it once was.

by skyhigh » 14 May 2009, 08:53

TC wrote:For example, the Stuka method Skyhigh speaks of is dead, buried and gone. Dropping stupid bombs is still done, but nowhere near as often as it once was.

The tactic would still be viable with a third world standard air force, equipped with Cold War subsonic light bombers (e.g. Il-28), dogfighters (e.g. Hawker Hunter) and red rocketships (i.e. MiG-21s).

But a first world air force (like the PLAAF) would have a squadrillion (half-jokingly) Russian and indigenous PGMs in its arsenal.

by thegreekness » 14 May 2009, 14:00

seriously dude - let it go
"You wanna get out of the way? We're trying to land here..." - Hot Shots

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by StolichnayaStrafer » 14 May 2009, 14:52

Skyhigh- it's not the third world aircraft that you have to worry about so much, it's the ground fire from the third world AAA, troops and SAMs that you need to worry about. Just look at all of the aircraft that were shot down by the North Vietnamese and the Afghani Mujahadeen as a couple of examples.

You seriously need to read some books, man. Video games are NOTHING like the real thing. I myself have been reading about aircraft and air combat since I was a kid in the 60s and I don't know squat about what some of these guys and gals here do for real with these things. We will never know as much as the people that design, build, fly, or maintain aircraft. However, we can learn more and make reasonable observations by our questions and comments.

Just chill out and relax, the Forum is always here- and post counts don't win prizes or money either. :wink:
Why is the vodka gone?
Why is the vodka always gone... oh- that's why!
Hide the vodka!!!

Previous