F-15X: USAF Seems Interested

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 6702
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post19 May 2020, 03:03

131stfwfan wrote:Another key element as to why the USAF came to Boeing with the need for F-15EX:


Skyborg would be artificially intelligent software used to control the flight path, weapons and sensors of large numbers of UAVs. Automating flight control, in particular via artificial intelligence, is seen as necessary to allow a single person, perhaps a backseat pilot in a fighter aircraft, to command multiple UAVs at once.



Full link: https://www.flightglobal.com/military-u ... 26.article



You could operate the Skyborg from any number of platforms. Including ground based units hundreds. If, not thousands of miles away. So, I don't see that as a serious reason to acquire the "two" seat F-15EX.

Truth is the Republicans needed support from Democrats to get much of what they wanted in the US Defense Bill. Which, they got by supporting the St Louis built F-15EX. Which, is from very blue state.....

In short "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours".

The USAF isn't buying the F-15EX based on merit. It's buying it for political gain....(sadly happens all of the time)
Offline

131stfwfan

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 10 Jul 2010, 23:41
  • Location: St. Louis

Unread post19 May 2020, 03:25

Corsair1963 wrote:
131stfwfan wrote:Another key element as to why the USAF came to Boeing with the need for F-15EX:


Skyborg would be artificially intelligent software used to control the flight path, weapons and sensors of large numbers of UAVs. Automating flight control, in particular via artificial intelligence, is seen as necessary to allow a single person, perhaps a backseat pilot in a fighter aircraft, to command multiple UAVs at once.



Full link: https://www.flightglobal.com/military-u ... 26.article



You could operate the Skyborg from any number of platforms. Including ground based units hundreds. If, not thousands of miles away. So, I don't see that as a serious reason to acquire the "two" seat F-15EX.

Truth is the Republicans needed support from Democrats to get much of what they wanted in the US Defense Bill. Which, they got by supporting the St Louis built F-15EX. Which, is from very blue state.....

In short "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours".

The USAF isn't buying the F-15EX based on merit. It's buying it for political gain....(sadly happens all of the time)


Missouri is a blue state? :shock: - You have outdone yourself on that one. :doh:
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 6702
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post19 May 2020, 03:36

131stfwfan wrote:
Missouri is a blue state? :shock: - You have outdone yourself on that one. :doh:


I was talking about Saint Louis....... :roll:


Representative of Saint Louis

https://lacyclay.house.gov/
Offline

weasel1962

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2334
  • Joined: 07 Jun 2012, 02:41
  • Location: Singapore

Unread post20 May 2020, 01:51

Well, USAF has canceled the sole sourcing for the EX engines. I suspect cost may be a factor.
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 6702
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post20 May 2020, 02:54

US Air Force cancels GE Aviation sole-source for F-15EX engine, asks for competitive bids

By Garrett Reim|19 May 2020

F-15EX Boeing

The US Air Force is asking for engine proposals for its Boeing F-15EX programme, just a few months after it said it would grant a sole source award to GE Aviation for 480 of the company’s F110 jet turbines.


https://www.flightglobal.com/fixed-wing ... 46.article
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 6702
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post20 May 2020, 02:58

Honestly, not sure this is a good thing??? Sure it will make the process more competitive and likely lower the price. Yet, it will also drag on the development. Which, is risky for the program at this stage....
Offline
User avatar

XanderCrews

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 6412
  • Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 19:42

Unread post20 May 2020, 04:19

Haha
Choose Crews
Offline

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

  • Posts: 4824
  • Joined: 10 Mar 2006, 01:24
  • Location: Phoenix, Az, USA

Unread post20 May 2020, 10:49

Come on 132/232 engine war!
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
Offline

marauder2048

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1100
  • Joined: 14 Mar 2012, 06:46

Unread post20 May 2020, 10:50

It's like the "industrial base considerations" that CAPE sold a lot of gullible journalists on.

Those considerations have some strict reqs under the FAR that the Air Force
would have to prove to GAO in order to withstand a protest.

The Air Force could not prove even the justification they did use for sole sourcing the engines;
Pratt's GAO protest got the Air Force to rescind the sole source notification very quickly.
Offline
User avatar

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 5580
  • Joined: 22 Jul 2005, 03:23

Unread post20 May 2020, 15:24

461 engines? They're obviously looking at more than 80 aircraft. P&W needs to blow the dust off the -232.
"There I was. . ."
Offline

madrat

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2688
  • Joined: 03 Mar 2010, 03:12

Unread post20 May 2020, 15:37

P&W could probably offer the moon and the stars, but they'll win the same number of orders. They may as well offer their best moneymaker. No need to offer the highest end only to squeeze your own margin.
Offline

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

  • Posts: 4000
  • Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 10:26
  • Location: Parts Unknown

Unread post20 May 2020, 16:48

Not sure how good this is..
,
You've got two engine manufacturers working on yesterday's engines, to power yesterday's fighters. I'd much prefer them spending time on the F-119/135 upgrades, and whatever's next for PCA..

Money and resources aren't infinite, and we need the best minds working on our best engines..
Offline
User avatar

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 5580
  • Joined: 22 Jul 2005, 03:23

Unread post20 May 2020, 16:55

mixelflick wrote:Not sure how good this is..
,
You've got two engine manufacturers working on yesterday's engines, to power yesterday's fighters. I'd much prefer them spending time on the F-119/135 upgrades, and whatever's next for PCA..

Money and resources aren't infinite, and we need the best minds working on our best engines..


They're already both building prototypes of the next gen engine, after the F119/135.
"There I was. . ."
Offline

madrat

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2688
  • Joined: 03 Mar 2010, 03:12

Unread post20 May 2020, 17:16

mixelflick wrote:Not sure how good this is..
,
You've got two engine manufacturers working on yesterday's engines, to power yesterday's fighters. I'd much prefer them spending time on the F-119/135 upgrades, and whatever's next for PCA..

Money and resources aren't infinite, and we need the best minds working on our best engines..


Fine, re-equip F-15EX with F119...
Offline

131stfwfan

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 10 Jul 2010, 23:41
  • Location: St. Louis

Unread post20 May 2020, 17:39

Corsair1963 wrote:US Air Force cancels GE Aviation sole-source for F-15EX engine, asks for competitive bids

By Garrett Reim|19 May 2020

F-15EX Boeing

The US Air Force is asking for engine proposals for its Boeing F-15EX programme, just a few months after it said it would grant a sole source award to GE Aviation for 480 of the company’s F110 jet turbines.


https://www.flightglobal.com/fixed-wing ... 46.article


The USAF has 239 F-15C/Ds in operation, according to Cirium fleets data. The service has talked about ordering 144 F-15EX aircraft, although the request for 461 engines may mean the scope of the programme has been enlarged


Rumor around industry is the C/D's will be replaced first, and then the Strike Eagles after. Modifications look slim to none.
PreviousNext

Return to Modern Military Aircraft

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests