Rafale Vs EF Typhoon

Cold war, Korea, Vietnam, and Desert Storm - up to and including for example the A-10, F-15, Mirage 200, MiG-29, and F-18.
  • Author

oldiaf

Banned

Unread post14 Sep 2015, 10:19

How do you compare these 2 great aircrafts in term of both AA and AG fighting capabilities in different missions and battle scenarios ? Avionics , armament .. Etc
Thanks in advance

deltasierracharlie

Unread post31 Dec 2021, 03:55

https://hushkit.net/2021/12/29/i-took-the-typhoon-to-war-interview-with-wing-commander-raf-mike-sutton/
A Rafale pilot I interviewed said ‘Typhoon was a joke’ – what is your response to his view?

There’s nothing like the confidence of a French fighter pilot! The Rafale and Typhoon are from a similar era, but backed by four nations and with five export customers the Typhoon has better growth potential. As the Boss of 1 Squadron we always had a French Rafale pilot on exchange, so I had a real insight into both platforms. For the air-to-air missions, an AESA equipped Typhoon with METEOR, AMRAAM-D and ASRAAM packs a powerful punch with the Helmet Mounted Sight and IRST (called PIRATE).

The Typhoon Force has also received upgraded Paveway 4 (penetrating warhead and moving target capability), which is a great weapon for Close Air Support in combination with Brimstone, which can also be used against fast inshore attack craft. For longer-range strikes, Storm Shadow and SPEAR 3 (the small, long-range, cruise missile) offer significant stand-off, precision, low collateral damage and electronic warfare capabilities. The Litening 5 targeting pods will offer high-definition imagery and a reconnaissance capability. And of course, there is the 27-mm cannon that I have fired in anger. With that weapon load-out you can take on any mission set. So my response to the French pilot, is that given the choice I would take the Typhoon every time.

Return to Military Aircraft of the Cold War