C-130J track shoe retaining bolt question

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is C-130 related.

by tailwhip » 10 Aug 2020, 03:51

Hello, all. New face, here; looking forward to getting to know you.

I have a question, as the thread title suggests. Basically, I'd like to know if anyone knows of a bolt exists with the right specs to replace the current ones, but has safety wire holes that are a little vertically offset from each other to ease double-strand safety wiring, or has six safety wire holes (one per face of its hex-shaped, internal-wrenching engagement surface) instead of four, or both? It'd be nice to simplify the current wiring job and save time on it.

Best regards.

F-16.net Webmaster
F-16.net Webmaster

by Lieven » 19 Aug 2020, 19:32

tailwhip wrote:Hello, all. New face, here; looking forward to getting to know you.

Welcome to the forum!

by tailwhip » 28 Aug 2020, 23:23

Lieven wrote:Welcome to the forum!

Thanks very much! It's good to be here.

by argonald » 09 Oct 2020, 06:08

I worked on Js for about 5 years, and as far as I know, those shown in the IPB are the only ones that can be used. BUT, depending on where you work (military or civilian), you may be able to find an EQUIVALENT bolt that has all the same properties, eg. material, manufacturing processes, tensile/sheer strength. I currently work on the A models and we have to find equivalents all the time for certain bolts because they are either no longer made, have different part numbers, have had different mods done to it... ... You get the idea for that.
So, if it's military, use the IPB. Civilian side, best bet is to use the IPB.
But to my knowledge, no, there are no alternates that can be used. They have used the same bolts since the A model. If it does the job it was made to do, don't change it just to save a little time.

P.S.: Most systems are the same (gears, flaps, A/C. (Hydro SYSTEM is different, but overall function is the same; no aux pump in the A unless it was added in very late in the production or from mods.)) from the A (V shaped track with screwed on facings) to the J (U shaped track with epoxied facings). The tacks in the gear are different because they didn't change it to the U shaped track until I think mid to late E or early H. There's a TCTO for that.

-Arg