S-70 Okhotnik, Russia's UCAV

Sub-scale and Full-Scale Aerial Targets and RPAs - Remotely-Piloted Aircraft
Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by charlielima223 » 17 Jan 2021, 00:53

Russian military is (IMO trying desperately to) developing advanced UAVs. Recently Russian state media claimed percision weapons test for the S-70. The world caught a glimpse of this aircraft when it was shown with the Su-57. At that time Russian defense stated that the S-70 is planned to serve along side the Su-57 and that the Su-57 would control a small flight of these aircraft.

https://theaviationist.com/2021/01/14/t ... s-testing/
The Russian next-generation Unmanned Combat Aerial Vehicle (UCAV) Sukhoi S-70 Okhotnik (Hunter) struck some ground targets in the Ashuluk range (home of the Russian Aerospace Forces’ Combat Training and Combat Application Center) in southern Russia, according to a source in the military-industrial complex cited by the Russian News Agency RIA Novosti. The drone hit the target with high accuracy using 500 kg (1100 lb) free-fall unguided bombs, likely the standard FAB-500 M-62 bomb used by Russian aircraft, carried in the weapons bay.

The source did not disclose when this test happened, but mentioned that this was not the first bombing test of the drone. Further details included that the UCAV may have been recently upgraded to add new capabilities, as the source was quoted as saying that “the newest sighting and navigation system installed on the Okhotnik makes it possible to use free-falling ammunition with an accuracy approaching that of a high-precision guided weapon.”

I guess if the bomb hits the ground that ia accurate enough for the Russian military. The west has seen Russian style of "precision" strikes over Syria against ISIS targets. Videos of free fall cluster munitions dropped from mid altitude covering a grid square was claimed to be accurate.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by hythelday » 17 Jan 2021, 07:51

charlielima223 wrote:I guess if the bomb hits the ground that ia accurate enough for the Russian military. The west has seen Russian style of "precision" strikes over Syria against ISIS targets. Videos of free fall cluster munitions dropped from mid altitude covering a grid square was claimed to be accurate.

If that grid sqare was the target then that's accurate. Their LGB were accurate too, mainly against grain silos and hospitals.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by milosh » 17 Jan 2021, 11:55

charlielima223 wrote:I guess if the bomb hits the ground that ia accurate enough for the Russian military. The west has seen Russian style of "precision" strikes over Syria against ISIS targets. Videos of free fall cluster munitions dropped from mid altitude covering a grid square was claimed to be accurate.

RuAF operate from Syria so they can carry nice amount of dumb bombs beside PGMs. So you in one mission you have comination of both type of bombs.

This is why you have not so precise bombing because only one or two bombs are PGMs. Dumb bombs aren't to hit target but surroundings for example if you are going to take out some ISIS HQ in surounding area you surely have their fighters.

Also they will use just dumb bombs, combine with SVP-24 Geofest like system they will have precision nothing like direct guided PGMs but much better then classic dumb carpet bombing:

Su-24M hit precision increased over three times. Bombs deviate dozens of meters from the target if released from an altitude of six kilometers.

https://www.navyrecognition.com/index.p ... efest.html

In case of S-70 UCAV I doubt we will see dumb bombs, it have space limit in stealthy configuration so PGMs are only logical choice.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by ricnunes » 18 Jan 2021, 16:56

milosh wrote:combine with SVP-24 Geofest like system they will have precision nothing like direct guided PGMs but much better then classic dumb carpet bombing:

It's seems to me that is the equivalent of western CCIP/CCRP systems that have been in use for several decades (since the early 1970's to be more precise) but I digress...
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call EW and pretend like it’s new.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by milosh » 18 Jan 2021, 17:33

ricnunes wrote:
milosh wrote:combine with SVP-24 Geofest like system they will have precision nothing like direct guided PGMs but much better then classic dumb carpet bombing:

It's seems to me that is the equivalent of western CCIP/CCRP systems that have been in use for several decades (since the early 1970's to be more precise) but I digress...

Something like upgraded CCIP/CCRP with GPS and maybe some additional input (laser distance measurement which first came in mind).

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by milosh » 27 Mar 2021, 21:02

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by milosh » 14 Nov 2021, 12:05

Only now I get its size :shock:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/4 ... le-to-date

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VujwB_zZCE
Btw in RT video they mentioned there will be scaled up version :shock: which can carry strategic cruise missiles, cheaper alternative of PAK-DA, maybe?

It would be interested what engine configuration scale up variant will have, I doubt one AL-51 would be enough maybe one NK-65?

So something like half of PAK-DA, from what we know PAK-DA would be powered with two NK-65 engines.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by milosh » 25 Nov 2022, 09:44

Second prototype caught on Google Earth:

https://eurasiantimes.com/wp-content/up ... russia.jpg

Flat nozzle.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by milosh » 05 Aug 2023, 08:06

Test flights from july, second prototype (flat nozzle):

MiG29 looks small flying behind S-70.