Japanese Experimental Stealth Fighter

Experimental aircraft including -but not limited to- X-planes, from the Bell X-1 to the Su-47

by psychmike » 06 Oct 2007, 01:18

Holy moly, has anyone else heard that Japan is working on an experimental stealth fighter? Evidently they plan to have a prototype flying is as little as 5 years. Sounds like a very short time but perhaps they have been working on it for awhile.

It looks a lot like the plane from Firefox.

Check out the photo at:

http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/redirect.p ... o=lastpost

Mike

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by snypa777 » 06 Oct 2007, 18:38

Bears an uncanny resemblance to the Iranian Shafaq mock-up? Guess everyone is at it now as far as Stealth goes.Not many international designs actually flying at the moment though. They all look good on paper and in plywood!
Attachments
Shafaq3.jpg
Iranian Stealth!
"I may not agree with what you say....but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

by psychmike » 06 Oct 2007, 20:55

snypa777 wrote:Bears an uncanny resemblance to the Iranian Shafaq mock-up? Guess everyone is at it now as far as Stealth goes.Not many international designs actually flying at the moment though. They all look good on paper and in plywood!

Sure, but the Japanese do have a proven capacity to design and build advanced military equipment like the KH-X, P-X, and of course the F-2 (with lots of help from LM). I have significantly less faith in the Iranians' capabilities.

I wonder if anyone else has any projected or designed performance information. The -22 has a lot more going for it then stealth. I had the luck to see it at the Toronto air show this summer. WOWWWW. Let the Sukhoi's eat dust!

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by snypa777 » 07 Oct 2007, 19:08

psychmike wrote:Sure, but the Japanese do have a proven capacity to design and build advanced military equipment like the KH-X, P-X, and of course the F-2 (with lots of help from LM). I have significantly less faith in the Iranians' capabilities.

I wonder if anyone else has any projected or designed performance information. The -22 has a lot more going for it then stealth. I had the luck to see it at the Toronto air show this summer. WOWWWW. Let the Sukhoi's eat dust!

The US won`t let Japan "have" the `22. Building their own with a little help from LM may be an alternate path? They are capable of building a fighter in isolation but will it be an F-22 equivalent? No tech` specs as the Japanese defence ministry is saying nothing.
"I may not agree with what you say....but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

by Safetystick » 07 Oct 2007, 21:58

That Iranian one looks like the MAKO trainer that EADS were kicking about a few years ago.

by psychmike » 08 Oct 2007, 00:48

From what I read in Air Power International, it seems that neither the US nor Japan were keen to collaborate on the KH-X due to experience with the F-2. Perhaps this reduces the chances that they'll do so on this project.

There are some curious aspects about this design. The canopy looks like it'd offer really poor rearward visibility - odd for an air superiority fighter. It looks kinda like the SU-32 in this regard. Also, the plan view shows that most rear-facing edges are perpendicular to the flight path - something I wouldn't expect to see in a stealth design. Currently, the engines appear to feature a 3-paddle thrust vectoring design, again, something not likely to be stealthy, but I'm sure there will be lots of changes before any design is finalized.

Mike

F-16.net Moderator
F-16.net Moderator

by Scorpion1alpha » 11 Oct 2007, 03:50

How old is that "mockup" now? And in "5 years"? Heh, clock's tickin.

by skyhigh » 28 Feb 2009, 14:09

Watch this video of the Mitsubishi ATD-X

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g94C5CNIPOQ
Attachments
JSP2_88SQkBUazIgL.jpg
ATD-X

by Bodizzle » 28 Feb 2009, 19:10

Looks like a whole lot of smoke and mirrors to me. They have a semi-impressive full size mock-up but no demonstration of any technology involved other than the 3-vector exhaust in an non-installed motor. Not to mention doesn't it seem just a bit off to build a mock-up first and then put the tech in?

by skyhigh » 01 Mar 2009, 06:14

They will be progressing to the development of the avionics and turbofans later on. Then a handful of prototypes will be built and test-piloted. Later on, they will be operational.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by ang4me » 04 Sep 2009, 02:07

I like how they got a nun to test fly it. never know when you might need a little divine intervention...

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by RyanCollins » 06 Oct 2010, 16:19

Mitsubishi ATD-X looks very cool... Although I'd like to see the VF-1 Valkyrie being produced! :lol:
A circle is the reflection of eternity: It has no beginning, and it has no end...