A-4 Skyhawk vs Mirage III

Cold war, Korea, Vietnam, and Desert Storm - up to and including for example the A-10, F-15, Mirage 200, MiG-29, and F-18.
  • Author

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post08 Jul 2021, 06:37

Those USMC lads had their own website & reunion a few years back however sadly the website has disappeared AFAIK.

33 page PDF of some of their material I have from that website and others such as FAT Albert of the Blue Angels + JATO.

JATO USMC A-4 Skyhawk Chu Lai Catapult Carriers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDkqaC8ick4

Ha. I note the video is in the 'Newdick' story along with the mirror aboard HMAS Melbourne, with an S-2E/G form flyby.

Attachments
JATO SATS USMC A-4 Skyhawk & others pp33.pdf
(6.13 MiB) Downloaded 120 times
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post08 Jul 2021, 11:43

The 'NEWdick' article above has a backside photo of HMAS Melbourne Mirror. This is the front side at FAAM FAA Museum.

THE MORE MIRRORS the merrier in the SEA VENOM era: "Does my flight deck look big in this"? See text in photo....
Attachments
FAAMmirrorMELBOURNEinside.jpg
2mirrors6wiresVenomGannetMELBOURNE.jpg
MELBOURNEmirrorCUTwaveoffLightsDATUMs.jpg
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post30 Jul 2021, 14:48

Via E-mail DRAKEN SKYHAWK HELMET Pics. Video explains AUSTRINGER (could be "AU Stringer" [Australian Journalist?]
OR 'Aust Ringer' [A ringer is a male or female stock worker on an Australian cattle station OR Oz Substitute/FAKE?]

A later RAN FAA A4G pilot was Adrian WILSON callsign WIPEOUT [he would be early-mid 60s now - a 'substitute'?]
Sadly I don't have a photo of his/the LAST A4G RAN FAA OFS Operational Flying School in 1982 when he was about 19-21?

Some of the DRAKEN A-4s were original A4Gs subsequently sold to RNZAF to eventually be converted to A-4K KAHU status.

Perhaps 'Australian FAKE A-4' is what the logo is getting at? I give in. :mrgreen: [A4G RAN FAA Royal Aust Navy Fleet Air Arm]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgRzN9wovfE [logo modelled on an RNZAF classic photo of Kahu? A-4K firing rockets]

That Pitcha frum: New Zealand’s Fast Jet - Volume Four Number Four Winter 2001

THE ROYAL AIR FORCE AIR POWER REVIEW [COVER PHOTO]

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles ... 2FD704.pdf [file no longer there of course]

Surfaris - Wipe Out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p13yZAjhU0M

Wipe Out (The Surfaris); drum cover by Sina [excellent!] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQeC_6bOFqs

Attachments
Draken Helmet IMG_5082.JPG
Draken Helmet IMG_5079.JPG
Draken Helmet IMG_5081.JPG
Draken Helmet IMG_5080.JPG
A-4KrocketsFireFrontON.jpg

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post23 Oct 2021, 11:47

Via e-mail former A4G 883 now DRAKEN in new camo scheme.
Attachments
883 Draken IMG_5769 CROP.jpg
883 Draken IMG_5769.JPG

basher54321

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post23 Oct 2021, 12:29

I like that scheme!
When Obi Wan logged onto Twitter: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious"

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post23 Oct 2021, 14:22

You really have to hand it to MD, the little Skyhawk packed a punch. Speaks volumes its still around, and it still manages to look elegant, yet deadly.

To think it didn't even need folding wings on the carrier. Single engine, yet could carry such a heavy external load and it brought so many of its pilots home safe. Every inch of her was put to good use, and it's performed well for every country that's flown it. Especially liked the footage of Argentine Skyhawks motoring around Port Stanley at low level during the Falklands conflict.

Magnificent engineering achievement, and its pilots/maintainers loved her. At least the one's I've spoken to over the years...
Previous

Return to Military Aircraft of the Cold War