1/48 Hasegawa F-16A 8th FW Kunsan Gunsmoke '85

Showcase your finished models here
  • Author

Habu

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post23 Dec 2020, 08:07

I'm baaaaaaack! Phew! So I've been TDY at Kunsan for the last few months, and I decided to build a home wing Viper just for kicks. I'll be leaving it here with one of the squadrons, probably the 80th Juvats.
Anyway, quick build, OOB with Microscale/Superscale decals.
Do your homework, Tiger!

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post30 Dec 2020, 16:58

Great job!

I wish I could build models like this.. Love seeing the finished product. A (mostly) clean Viper is so easy on the eyes, beautiful lines!

outlaw162

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post31 Dec 2020, 19:01

Great model.

Some obscure and generally justifiably forgotten trivia from that particular Gunsmoke:

6 of the top 7 teams were F-16 teams, including the 8th TFW (not FW at the time). The other one in the top 7 was either a Guard A-7 (Sioux City) or Guard or Reserve (Richards-Gebaur?) A-10 team in 4th or 5th. All the F-16s carried a CL tank and 2 TERs. The F-16 of course set the standard for dumb bomb accuracy and USAF A/G from then on.

Going into the Nav/Bomb tactical scenario on the Tolicha Peak airfield targets, a squadron from the 50th at Hahn and the AFRES 419th were neck and neck. After completing the Nav/Bomb profile with all the individual Nav gates (6) and one pass, timed delivery, it was required that each aircraft go thru a wide exit gate to the south....at 300 KIAS or less and above 1000 AGL....a dumb and ridiculous rule but it was scored with the same value as each of the generally well hidden and narrow Nav route gates flown at 480 GS.

One of the Hahn guys got a little high spirited and exceeded the exit gate speed limit receiving 0 points for that gate. They had air police radar guns on the ground. Who wudda thunk? Result....419th won top team, however a 50th guy did win individual overall top gun, not the speeder. :mrgreen:

The F-4 teams all finished bottom three, no surprise....Reggie F-4Es used radar dive-toss with unusually good results :shock: , Guard and Reserve all manual bomb. Reggies won F-4 category, however the Reserves did beat the last place Fort Smith Guard.

Return to Finished Models Showroom