AVweek goes into the Abyss

Discuss air warfare, doctrine, air forces, historic campaigns, etc.
Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by lookieloo » 31 Jul 2014, 20:40

My oh my..... http://aviationweek.com/defense/opinion ... -air-force
Opinion: Abolish the Air Force
Jul 31, 2014 Robert Farley | Aviation Week & Space Technology

I would expect a hipster blog like WarIsBoring to plug this guy's book, but Aviation Week? It's basically a nice, fat middle finger to what I assume would be a substantive portion of their subscription base.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by count_to_10 » 31 Jul 2014, 22:41

I can see more argument for abolishing the Army and folding everything into the Navy.
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.

Uncertainty: Learn it, love it, live it.

by tbarlow » 03 Aug 2014, 03:52

Anyone remember when after WWII, some in the Pentagon wanted to do away with the Navy saying there was no need for it anymore. Surprised he didn't bring up also doing away with the Marines? :wtf:

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by delvo » 05 Aug 2014, 11:51

I don't have an opinion about how our forces should be organized. I know that the Air Force was once part of the Army, but don't know the pros or cons of splitting it off or merging it back in. I presume that, even if one actually is better overall, reasonable cases could be made either way, meaning neither position necessarily means someone is crazy or anti-air-power or delusionally ultra-pacifist/antimilitary or such. But each time I've seen the issue come up here, the latter is how people treat it. The reactions are as if somebody were suggesting not just reorganizing what we have but actually ditching all of the Air Force's current assets & activities, which is clearly not what anybody's really suggesting.

It's like attending a local city council discussion over whether to have the street-cleaners managed by the division that does garbage pick-ups or the one that does road maintenance & construction, and having some loon in the back stand up and start screaming like they're never going to clean the streets again. What's going on here?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 05 Aug 2014, 13:21

delvo wrote:I don't have an opinion about how our forces should be organized. I know that the Air Force was once part of the Army, but don't know the pros or cons of splitting it off or merging it back in.

The problem with morons like the guy above peddaling his book is that they think the US Army somehow has all the institutional knowledge of the USAAF from back in the day. The don't realize the USAF IS the USAAF. All the people, knowledge, etc. of the USAAF BECAME the USAF. Today's US Army knows about as much about strategic bombing as the USAF knows about tank warfare.
"There I was. . ."