Russia has lost 2 squadrons of SU-35's

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by edpop » 11 Aug 2022, 20:37

Ukrayinska Pravda
Russia has lost two squadrons of the latest Su-35 in Ukraine General Staff

Ukrainska Pravda
Thu, August 11, 2022 at 9:51 AM·1 min read
OLENA ROSHCHINA – THURSDAY, 11 AUGUST 2022, 16:51

The Russian Federation has lost two squadrons of the latest Su-35 fighters in Ukraine, that's about 24 aircraft, and now tolerates the return of the old Su-24M bombers.

Source: Oleksii Hromov, the Deputy Chief of the Main Operational Department of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine at a briefing at the Ukraine Ukrinform media centre

Quote: "Over the last week, the Ukrainian Air Force have destroyed 27 air targets.

In connection with the significant losses of aviation equipment, the occupiers are considering the option of using outdated bombers – the Su-24M, which were removed from the aggressor’s combat team during 2005-2018."

Details: According to the General Staff, Russia supplied Su-35 aircraft to China. Out of 24 units, only 9 were functional, which indicates the low efficiency and the unreliability of this technology.

The largest number of operational failures of these aircraft was related to on-board systems.

"The Su-35 aircraft has also shown a low level of survivability. During the full-scale aggression, the occupiers have lost two squadrons of such aircraft, that's about 24 planes," Hromov said.
Vietnam veteran (70th Combat Engineer Battalion)(AnKhe & Pleiku) 1967
Retired from Chrysler Engineering

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by viperzerof-2 » 12 Aug 2022, 00:29

You know I don’t think these things are the Raptor killer the Russians claimed they were.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by milosh » 12 Aug 2022, 08:33

If Russian official said something similar for Ukrainian fighters I would doubt that even though it is clear Russia do have huge advantage.

So we are dealing with classic propaganda.

Couple of facts:

Su-35 didn't replace Su-24, Su-30 and Su-34 are ones which replace Su-24, which only point out why this is propaganda.

Very small number of wreakages (maybe four) of Su-35 compared to Su-30/34.

Su-35 mission is mostly done and that is air superiority, Ukrainian AF have lot less fighters now so reason to use SU-35 isn't there as in early stages of war.

From videos we saw Su-35 do air fight combat as modern western fighters are doing them, using big BVR advantage it have over UaAF Su-27 and MiG-29.

Until UaAF don't get lets say F-16 with latest AIM-120 there isn't much for Su-35 to do. But I think when that happens MiG-31 will be used mostly not Su-35 or Su-35 will be armed with R-37M which is integrated not so long ago.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by hornetfinn » 12 Aug 2022, 09:31

Russian attack aircraft like Su-34 and Su-24 or bombers also don't really operate over Ukraine except very close to Russian controlled airspace. The threat of being shot down is too great. The same is true for Ukrainian Air Force. So the need to fly over Ukraine with Su-35 is not there. Of course not being able to employ their tactical aviation assets effectively is also serious problem for Russia. It seems that they no longer launch many cruise missiles either.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by madrat » 12 Aug 2022, 12:18

milosh wrote:Su-35 mission is mostly done and that is air superiority, Ukrainian AF have lot less fighters now so reason to use SU-35 isn't there as in early stages of war.
From videos we saw Su-35 do air fight combat as modern western fighters are doing them, using big BVR advantage it have over UaAF Su-27 and MiG-29.
Until UaAF don't get lets say F-16 with latest AIM-120 there isn't much for Su-35 to do. But I think when that happens MiG-31 will be used mostly not Su-35 or Su-35 will be armed with R-37M which is integrated not so long ago.

Are you sure MiG-31M hasn't been used? Many of the Ukraine losses attributed to S-300 could have easily been from MiG-31 because they never knew what hit them. Credit was given to Russian S-300 with no way to verify. In many cases it was a really long-range shot if by S-300, and against maneuvering targets. I just cannot believe the Ukrainians would operate out there in the open unless they were confident they understood S-300 limitations.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 12 Aug 2022, 12:55

madrat wrote:
milosh wrote:Su-35 mission is mostly done and that is air superiority, Ukrainian AF have lot less fighters now so reason to use SU-35 isn't there as in early stages of war.

Are you sure MiG-31M hasn't been used? Many of the Ukraine losses attributed to S-300 could have easily been from MiG-31 because they never knew what hit them. Credit was given to Russian S-300 with no way to verify. In many cases it was a really long-range shot if by S-300, and against maneuvering targets. I just cannot believe the Ukrainians would operate out there in the open unless they were confident they understood S-300 limitations.

Could be S-300V. I've seen bits and pieces of the system pop up in various clips that have been released of the war.
"There I was. . ."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 13 Aug 2022, 18:44

I'm with Milosh on this one. Although I suppose losing 2 squadrons is possible, it's a lot more likely to be Ukranian propoganda. I think we'd be seeing a lot more footage of wrecked SU-35's and their pilots, vs. the 2 that've been made public (if there are more, by all means correct - and link me!). :mrgreen:

Having said that, the SU-35 itself has to be seen as something of a disappointment IMO. It was supposedly the Raptor killer, but can't establish air superiority vs. 1980's Mig-29 and SU-27's? Sure, there are issues such as it not being able to fly unopposed over enemy lines (due to enemy fighter/SAM threat). But think about it - the F-22 and F-35 are designed for just this purpose. If it can't succeed in the current environment, how will it ever fend off even a small fleet of F-22's? So we next see it in the SEAD role, and it has largely failed in that regard too. Enemy SAMs are still a huge threat, so Russian SU-35's (and all other fast attack jets) are still vulnerable.

The good news (for the Russians) I guess is that the new R-77 performs well. Or at least well enough, as the Ukranian Mig pilot "Juice" mentioned in one of his past interviews. That has to be small consolation though, given all the SU-35's failures vs. its brochure claims. It appears to be like any other Flanker in this war: Shows up on radar real nice, and makes big fireballs in the sky when hit.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by basher54321 » 13 Aug 2022, 21:22

Yes best taken with massive pinch of salt for now like probably all the reported figures.

Have never considered Su-35 anything more than an upgraded Su-27, so performing as expected in that type of combat environment.