Russia is,developing a light weight stealth fighter

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by jessmo112 » 27 May 2021, 22:15

https://www.defenseworld.net/news/29666 ... LAKi1NlCdM

Well, good luck on getting it light enough with internal bays. Ill be happy if the Russians pull this off.
I love their designs.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by jessmo112 » 27 May 2021, 22:17

Russia's Sputnik reported the company had started work on the lightweight stealth jet "on its own initiative". "During the creation of the aircraft, it is planned to widely use the groundwork developed in the framework of the creation of the Su-57, including the state-of-the-art Product 30 engine, radio-absorbing coatings, on-board radio-electronic equipment, a weapon system," Sputnik quoted a source as saying.

In December 2020, Rostec, the holding

More at the link.

It really is time for Russia to move on from the Su-27 and its cousins, and the mig 29

by icemaverick » 27 May 2021, 23:12

Russia’s Su-57 is far from being in service in any real sense of the word. They’ve built all of 12 jets, of which 10 are test units. Their new engines haven’t been deployed yet. They have no export customers and it will still be several years at least before it’s deployed in significant numbers. Meanwhile there are still far more active orders for various Flanker variants than Su-57s. At this point this Russian “light weight stealth fighter” is nothing more than vaporware.

I am also hereby announcing that I am developing a stealth fighter. It will supercruise, carry various air to air and air to ground weapons and have ultra advanced radar and avionics with a state of the art electronic warfare suite. I don’t have any funding, zero orders and not even an artist’s impression of the jet but trust me....it’ll be rolling out in the next 5 years.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by jessmo112 » 28 May 2021, 14:25

icemaverick wrote:Russia’s Su-57 is far from being in service in any real sense of the word. They’ve built all of 12 jets, of which 10 are test units. Their new engines haven’t been deployed yet. They have no export customers and it will still be several years at least before it’s deployed in significant numbers. Meanwhile there are still far more active orders for various Flanker variants than Su-57s. At this point this Russian “light weight stealth fighter” is nothing more than vaporware.

I am also hereby announcing that I am developing a stealth fighter. It will supercruise, carry various air to air and air to ground weapons and have ultra advanced radar and avionics with a state of the art electronic warfare suite. I don’t have any funding, zero orders and not even an artist’s impression of the jet but trust me....it’ll be rolling out in the next 5 years.

Will it have a cup holder? I need a place for the coffe while dogfighting Someone needs to invent a 9g coffe mug, that can't spill.

by strykerxo » 28 May 2021, 16:11

Bob Hoover is on it. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9pvG_ZSnCc

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9pvG_ZSnCc[/YouTube]
You can't shot what you can't see - Unknown

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by steve2267 » 28 May 2021, 18:05

icemaverick wrote:I am also hereby announcing that I am developing a stealth fighter. It will supercruise, carry various air to air and air to ground weapons and have ultra advanced radar and avionics with a state of the art electronic warfare suite. I don’t have any funding, zero orders and not even an artist’s impression of the jet but trust me....it’ll be rolling out in the next 5 years.

Ahm engineer...

Are you hiring?
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, dollop of F-117, gob of F-22, dash of F/A-18, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well + bake. Whaddya get? F-35.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by madrat » 28 May 2021, 18:29

jessmo112 wrote:Will it have a cup holder? I need a place for the coffee while dogfighting Someone needs to invent a 9g coffe mug, that can't spill.

Already invented. Safe out to 13G, just can't drink from it unless you're a minimum of -4 Gs.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 29 May 2021, 15:18

So it would seem a model of an unknown single-engine fighter jet was noticed recently, in a photo on (head of Rostec) Chemezov’s desk. Note the nose section of the aircraft.

You don't think.... could they actually design something uglier than the X-32?? I guess we'll find out shortly, as the promised big reveal is in July!!
Attachments
Russian LWF Concept.jpg
Russian LWF Concept.jpg (7.09 KiB) Viewed 14701 times

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by milosh » 30 May 2021, 10:43

mixelflick wrote:So it would seem a model of an unknown single-engine fighter jet was noticed recently, in a photo on (head of Rostec) Chemezov’s desk. Note the nose section of the aircraft.

You don't think.... could they actually design something uglier than the X-32?? I guess we'll find out shortly, as the promised big reveal is in July!!

X-32 is ugly not because of intake but because of airframe design. It had low mounted engine (STOVL solution) so it look like bathtub with wings on top.

For now there isn't any reason Sukhoi LFI have low mounted engine, but we will see.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 31 May 2021, 03:23

Russia has claimed to be developing a new light weight fighter for sometime. Yet, nothing comes of it.......

In short such stories shouldn't be taken seriously..... :|

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by milosh » 31 May 2021, 15:58

Corsair1963 wrote:Russia has claimed to be developing a new light weight fighter for sometime. Yet, nothing comes of it.......

Well to be realistic only MiG was talking about LWF, UAC/Sukhoi weren't they said only when work on Su-57 is done they will start work on lighter stealth fighter.

Also don't forget AL-51 engine was quite problematic couple years ago so until it was clear problems are fixed no one wanted to start work on single engine fighter without adequate engine.

MiG on other hand pushed two engine design which use MiG-35 as base. Problem with it is price. MiG-35 isn't cheaper then Su-35 and developoment was extremely slow. So some MiG-45 wouldn't be much cheaper then Su-57.

So what point of smaller stealth then?

But now with AL-51 they final have engine for medium stealth and that stealth would cost lot less then Su-57.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 31 May 2021, 23:12

milosh wrote:
Corsair1963 wrote:Russia has claimed to be developing a new light weight fighter for sometime. Yet, nothing comes of it.......

Well to be realistic only MiG was talking about LWF, UAC/Sukhoi weren't they said only when work on Su-57 is done they will start work on lighter stealth fighter.

Also don't forget AL-51 engine was quite problematic couple years ago so until it was clear problems are fixed no one wanted to start work on single engine fighter without adequate engine.

MiG on other hand pushed two engine design which use MiG-35 as base. Problem with it is price. MiG-35 isn't cheaper then Su-35 and developoment was extremely slow. So some MiG-45 wouldn't be much cheaper then Su-57.

But now with AL-51 they final have engine for medium stealth and that stealth would cost lot less then Su-57.

It would take another 20 years to develop, test, and field another new Stealth Fighter. Plus, at this late stage it would have to be a 6th Generation Type. Otherwise, by time it would arrive it would be nearly obsolete....

Honestly, this story is pure fiction......

As I've said many times. Russia's decision to develop the PAK-FA (Su-57) over the Mikoyan LMFS. Was nothing short of a colossal mistake....

Which, gave the future non-Western Fighter Market to the Chinese. :shock:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 01 Jun 2021, 16:32

Corsair1963 wrote:
milosh wrote:

It would take another 20 years to develop, test, and field another new Stealth Fighter. Plus, at this late stage it would have to be a 6th Generation Type. Otherwise, by time it would arrive it would be nearly obsolete....

Honestly, this story is pure fiction......

As I've said many times. Russia's decision to develop the PAK-FA (Su-57) over the Mikoyan LMFS. Was nothing short of a colossal mistake....

Which, gave the future non-Western Fighter Market to the Chinese. :shock:

I agree, big error in judgement there. I think there was so much focus on countering the F-22, the F-35 was vastly under-estimated. Still, they knew as long ago as 2012 the F-22 buy would be cut short. And likely quite before that, that US allies would be barred from buying the aircraft. In any case, I agree a lightweight stealth fighter is complete vaporware at this point. Not happening, not enough rubles to go around..

Milosh, your statement about the Mig-35 costing as much as an SU-35 floored me. Are you sure? Just seems like you get a whole lot more aircaft in the SU-35. I mean, if they cost the same and the Mig-35 has comparable or better capability (newer), why isn't Russia buying more Mig-35's?

Also, I thought Mig/Sukhoi were all under the United Aircraft banner now? You know, state run entity. Is this in name only, meaning do the different design teams of Mig/Sukhoi respectively remain separate? Looking from the outside in, it would seem this way..

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 02 Jun 2021, 01:39

mixelflick wrote:
I agree, big error in judgement there. I think there was so much focus on countering the F-22, the F-35 was vastly under-estimated. Still, they knew as long ago as 2012 the F-22 buy would be cut short. And likely quite before that, that US allies would be barred from buying the aircraft. In any case, I agree a lightweight stealth fighter is complete vaporware at this point. Not happening, not enough rubles to go around..

Milosh, your statement about the Mig-35 costing as much as an SU-35 floored me. Are you sure? Just seems like you get a whole lot more aircaft in the SU-35. I mean, if they cost the same and the Mig-35 has comparable or better capability (newer), why isn't Russia buying more Mig-35's?

Also, I thought Mig/Sukhoi were all under the United Aircraft banner now? You know, state run entity. Is this in name only, meaning do the different design teams of Mig/Sukhoi respectively remain separate? Looking from the outside in, it would seem this way..

My guess is the Flanker Series was far more successful than the Fulcrum Series. Especially, in the latter years....So, with Russia only being able to afford to develop one type. Stuck with the same formula....

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by madrat » 02 Jun 2021, 02:13

I wouldn't dismiss a LW stealth out of Russia. They only need a single-engine counterpart to Su-57 within 5-7 years, which is pretty much when Su-57 would hit it's projected run. Su-57 is their stealth teething program. The LW fighter makes more sense when they master stealth. They've been working on stealth for over 40 years, back when America was itself beginning to rethink air doctrine. They just weren't as well funded and unwittingly allowed China to buy out their think tank around their stealth programs. Without Russian engineers the Sino-stealth program starts at ground level. But that's old water under the bridge now.

Next