Sinking 300 Chinese ships in 72 hours?!

If you feel you absolutely must talk about cars, morality, or anything else not related to the F-16, do it here.
Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by weasel1962 » 01 Apr 2021, 08:18

Whether China has an ESSM equivalent isn't confirmed. The quad-packed DK-10A (PL-12 based), non-naval version was shown during the Zhuhai airshow in ~2012, has been suggested but I don't think whether that's real or not isn't critical since the HQ-9 is supposed to have an anti-missile function. Russian S300/S400 actual performance in combat has been abysmal and could be indicative of Chinese effectiveness (even giving some leeway) since the HHQ-9s are based on that tech. The Buks (morphed into HQ-16) have strangely been more combat effective.

by inst » 01 Apr 2021, 08:47

weasel1962 wrote:Whether China has an ESSM equivalent isn't confirmed. The quad-packed DK-10A (PL-12 based), non-naval version was shown during the Zhuhai airshow in ~2012, has been suggested but I don't think whether that's real or not isn't critical since the HQ-9 is supposed to have an anti-missile function. Russian S300/S400 actual performance in combat has been abysmal and could be indicative of Chinese effectiveness (even giving some leeway) since the HHQ-9s are based on that tech. The Buks (morphed into HQ-16) have strangely been more combat effective.

Yeah, in general, the Chinese are way behind the USN when it comes to ship-based air-defense missiles. There's some platform advantages, but mainly because the Arleigh Burkes are upgrades of an old platform. Even there, the Type 055 can't match a Ticonderoga for pure VLS loadout, despite being larger and newer.

Part of it is that I think the Chinese don't really plan to deploy the PLAN beyond their immediate vicinity, so they can count on PLAAF aircover or coastal anti-air systems.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by weasel1962 » 01 Apr 2021, 10:19

Yeah, Tico retirement/replacement (DDG1000) is really a ball dropped for the USN but the burkes aren't a bad consolation. I think USAF experience in ripping up high density IADS will come in handy. Overall, USN lead in VLS cell count is still substantial but everyone is looking towards the future. Will be interesting to see how the upcoming budget is framed.

Previous