The Chinese only have 13 tankers?!

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by weasel1962 » 05 Aug 2020, 00:54

Tiger05 wrote:It wasnt an unrefuelled mission. A tanker (apparently an Il-78) was supporting the Flankers. One of the only three Il-78s they have... :|

I have to agree with jessmo112 regarding the size of the PLAAF's tanker fleet. Not very impressive to say the least.

Noted. Realized on hindsight, not possible to sustain 10 hour missions w/o aerial refuel, unless one actually refuelled on Subi itself. The size of the tanker fleet reflects its tactical needs. Don't think impressing forumers is high on the PLA to do list.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by jessmo112 » 05 Aug 2020, 14:09

weasel1962 wrote:
Tiger05 wrote:It wasnt an unrefuelled mission. A tanker (apparently an Il-78) was supporting the Flankers. One of the only three Il-78s they have... :|

I have to agree with jessmo112 regarding the size of the PLAAF's tanker fleet. Not very impressive to say the least.

Noted. Realized on hindsight, not possible to sustain 10 hour missions w/o aerial refuel, unless one actually refuelled on Subi itself. The size of the tanker fleet reflects its tactical needs. Don't think impressing forumers is high on the PLA to do list.

Then tell the Chicom handlers to stop sending these clowns in here.
There is absolutely no excuse for the Chinese to have such a small tanker fleet. The U S. Will create a tanker basket somewhere over the SCS and absolutely pummel the China. The B-2 can carry 80+Jdams alone by it self.
I would send 5 B-2s and 20 F-22s and Absolutely annihilate Hainan island. To think that the Chinese will deter the U.S military in any way shape or form is an illusion. An illusion that I hope that the short sighted chinese generals share.
Ohh one more thing. Im not new here This account may be new but if you search Jessmo Ive been here 10+ years

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by zhangmdev » 05 Aug 2020, 14:53

China only started experimenting with aerial refueling in the late 1990s, using modified H-6 and J-8II. H-6 is a pathetic tanker in terms of payload. China didn't have any airliner/cargo plane project until recently. So there was no plane available could can be converted to tankers. That must depend on the Russian. And it is relatively easy to produce more hardware to boast the image of the rising power. To maintain the capability and readiness of aerial refueling requires a great deal of training and experience. The software side is largely invisible, so maybe it is not viewed as important.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 05 Aug 2020, 16:11

A stealth tanker is a great idea, but I don't think even China has the $ to build, maintain and fly any kind of sizeable fleet of regular tankers, nevermind a stealthy variant. You know the US has a small (probably very small) stealth tanker fleet - somewhere. Probably based loosely on a scaled up flying wing design like the RQ-180. And its possible the Chinese will have the same.

But I don't think even the Y-20 can save them here, at least insofar as having a dedicated and capable fleet. It is woefully underpowered, is limited to hose and drogue refuelling and in general, too slow. It could perhaps be considered a step up from tanker C-130's, but quite honestly reminds me of the C-141 Starlifter: Far too "slim" of a cargo hold, flying with underpowered engines and rather limited in terms of speed.

Even the most elderly KC-135 handily out-performs it, while the newer models (and certainly the KC-10/KC-46) all completely out-class it. I read some time ago where they're thinking of building upwards of 1,000. I sure hope so, because it'll be a collosal waste of $..

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by disconnectedradical » 05 Aug 2020, 16:25

jessmo112 wrote:Then tell the Chicom handlers to stop sending these clowns in here.

Who are you even talking about?

Previous