Egyptian Su-35SEs spotted

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by basher54321 » 23 Jul 2020, 22:07

The first photos of factory-fresh Egyptian Air Force Sukhoi Su-35SE Flankers have been captured, apparently, as the first batch of jets was on a delivery flight to North Africa. The images of five different “Super Flankers” reveal that the aircraft are painted in the same camouflage scheme as Egypt’s new MiG-29M/M2 Fulcrums.

The photographs were taken by Andrey Neyman on July 22, as five Su-35SE fighters arrived in Novosibirsk for a fuel stop. The location and routing suggest the fighters were on delivery to Egypt from the Komsomolsk-on-Amur Aircraft Plant (KnAAZ) in the Russian Far East. The five different jets carry serials 9210, 9211, 9212, 9213, and 9214. In June, a report by Defence Blog claimed to show satellite images of Egyptian Su-35s at the manufacturing plant

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3 ... r-flankers

Su-35SE.JPG

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 26 Jul 2020, 16:00

It will be interesting what, if anything Israel does in response. Yes, they're getting F-35's which will trounce it, but I wonder if their F-15C's will be modified any. Alternatively, they might buy brand new advanced F-15's along with USAF's buy.

That's going to keep Boeing's production lines stamping out F-15's for a good long while. Amazing it's lasted this long, and accumulated the kind of air to air record it has..

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by jessmo112 » 26 Jul 2020, 19:56

Tensions are actually heating up between Turkey and Egypt. Egypt has been debating on an invasion into Libya to halt the advance of the Turkish supported alliance. I would love to see Turkey's nose bloddied
In an Egyptian Turkish air battle.
I think that Russia would also like this and would gladly supply both sides arms.

Elite 4K
Elite 4K

by wrightwing » 27 Jul 2020, 00:00

mixelflick wrote:It will be interesting what, if anything Israel does in response. Yes, they're getting F-35's which will trounce it, but I wonder if their F-15C's will be modified any. Alternatively, they might buy brand new advanced F-15's along with USAF's buy.

That's going to keep Boeing's production lines stamping out F-15's for a good long while. Amazing it's lasted this long, and accumulated the kind of air to air record it has..

Israel's F-15s have (or are getting )AESA radars, as well as upgraded computers, EW, etc.... They haven't remained stagnant.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by nutshell » 27 Jul 2020, 20:24

Damn if it looks good tho.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 29 Jul 2020, 18:18

The Super Flanker is a beautiful jet IMO, and should give Turkey quite the fighter to deal with in the event of hostilities. I'm not certain who holds the upper hand, but if memory serves Egypt's F-16's are very limited, at least compared to Turkeys.

But I agree, Russia would love to supply both sides to see how their new toys work.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 30 Jul 2020, 07:12

mixelflick wrote:The Super Flanker is a beautiful jet IMO, and should give Turkey quite the fighter to deal with in the event of hostilities. I'm not certain who holds the upper hand, but if memory serves Egypt's F-16's are very limited, at least compared to Turkeys.

But I agree, Russia would love to supply both sides to see how their new toys work.

As a platform the Su-35 like all Flanker Series looks good on paper. Yet, in the real world has been a disappointment. Of course you could say that about most Soviet/Russian Hardware.

So, I don't see the Mig-35 / Su-35 being really anymore effective. Than the preceding Mig-29 / Su-27.... :|

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by hornetfinn » 30 Jul 2020, 08:40

Corsair1963 wrote:
mixelflick wrote:The Super Flanker is a beautiful jet IMO, and should give Turkey quite the fighter to deal with in the event of hostilities. I'm not certain who holds the upper hand, but if memory serves Egypt's F-16's are very limited, at least compared to Turkeys.

As a platform the Su-35 like all Flanker Series looks good on paper. Yet, in the real world has been a disappointment. Of course you could say that about most Soviet/Russian Hardware.

So, I don't see the Mig-35 / Su-35 being really anymore effective. Than the preceding Mig-29 / Su-27.... :|

I think it depends on what you are comparing them to. For example Su-35 would very likely not fare well against F-22 or F-35 but as a platform it would be quite good compared to most variants of F-15, F-16, F/A-18 and Eurocanards. I think the main problem for Su-35 would be inferior weapons as I don't think any current R-77 variant is as good as later AMRAAM variants or Meteor. Also R-73/74 are inferior to AIM-9X, IRIS-T, ASRAAM, Python-5 or MICA-IR. I'd also say that all those Western aircraft are better in air-to-ground missions due to more advanced targeting systems and weapons available to them. All those Western aircraft also have or are getting AESA radars and IRST systems for their current variants but only some older aircraft will get upgraded with them. So I'd say Su-35 would likely do well against non-AESA equipped older variants with earlier AMRAAMs and AIM-9Ms or similar. I think for example AESA equipped F-15 or Super Hornet with AIM-120D or C-7 and AIM-9X Block 2 would have the upper hand most of the time.

Similar thing that happened with Su-27. It had very nice airframe with very good aerodynamics and design. It had nice engines with good deal of power and a lot of internal fuel for long range. But when it came to service, Western aircraft already had upgraded radars and other avionics and AIM-120 was just getting to service. But it would've been really dangerous to a lot of older fighter aircraft still in service in large numbers like F-4, early Block F-16s, Viggen, Draken and Mirages.