SU-57 deployed to Syria

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 27 Feb 2018, 16:15

The newspaper Kommersant cited military sources as saying that the Russian fifth-generation Su-57 fighter jets were deployed to Syria to test radar systems and electronic warfare.

The Su-57s will not take part in combat missions in Syria, the sources said, adding that the decision on the deployment was made during last year's MAKS airshow in Zhukovsky outside Moscow.

Yeah, but in a war zone with multiple stealth aircraft in theatre... combat happens. Personally, I'm hoping an F-15C takes at least one of them down.. :)

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 01 Mar 2018, 18:25

It's now being reported the planes performed 2 days of combat testing, then flew home LOL

https://www.rt.com/news/420188-russian- ... ets-syria/

Also, Russia says the Israeli satellite photo of the SU-57's lined up alongside Flankers is a fake. They say the SU-57's were in hangars while on the ground there.

Thoughts?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 01 Mar 2018, 19:24

Seems like a legit claim since the runway in the pic was incomplete yet is complete in Google Maps...
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 01 Mar 2018, 19:45

SpudmanWP wrote:Seems like a legit claim since the runway in the pic was incomplete yet is complete in Google Maps...

Why would the Israeli's lie? OK OK, I know all countries do. What's the old line? The first casualty of war is the truth?

But to what end does this serve Israel? Or the US? If it's true they were there for 2 DAYS, how much operational testing could they possibly have done? It almost sounds as if they realized what a risk they were taking, then skedattled and got out of there ASAP..

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 01 Mar 2018, 19:54

OMG this is priceless. Posted just 16 hours ago on Sputnick..

https://sputniknews.com/russia/20180301 ... ane-ready/

You really have to hand it to them. They're ready to build a carrier capable SU-57 - but stopped all work on their super-carrier. But wait! This could be for the Admiral Kustenov (or however you spell it). Carrier trials shouldn't take that long (sarcasm), and we'd have a whole new SU-57 angle to rib them about :mrgreen:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 01 Mar 2018, 19:58

mixelflick wrote:Why would the Israeli's lie?
You're assuming the image came from an official & current Israeli source. If it was official, why not use a more recent image of the airfield. Since the images are not publicly searchable (like Google Maps), the user likely had access to an old image and PS'd the SU-57's in.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 02 Mar 2018, 16:51

Sneaky, LOL

More conflicting data, or at least thoughts published by The Drive recently..

Judging by the peculiar statements made by Defense Minister Shoigu, the dearth of official statements otherwise, and the validity of such a truncated stop in war zone, or lack thereof, it's very possible, if not somewhat probably, that the aircraft actually have yet to return to Russia at all.

Yes, yes I know you guys question Tyler or whoever does most of their writing for them. But the thought that "the SU-57's have left" is disinformation vs. legit has to be considered. I mean, how much "testing" could they have done with 2 airframes (4 never confirmed) or even 4... in just 48 hours?

The whole thing makes little sense, and it's possible it was done for US/anti-Assad forces to drop their guard. I dunno. I really like the airframe and its lines, but the technology seems to be woefully lacking. They played the one card they realistically had (ordered more SU-35's). At least that is a nearly mature airframe, with corresponding avionics and weapons systems they can actually use.

Compared to an equivalent Western aircraft, how would you categorize the SU-35? Close to being an F-15C "Golden Eagle"?

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by milosh » 02 Mar 2018, 17:24

mixelflick wrote:OMG this is priceless. Posted just 16 hours ago on Sputnick..

https://sputniknews.com/russia/20180301 ... ane-ready/

You really have to hand it to them. They're ready to build a carrier capable SU-57 - but stopped all work on their super-carrier. But wait! This could be for the Admiral Kustenov (or however you spell it). Carrier trials shouldn't take that long (sarcasm), and we'd have a whole new SU-57 angle to rib them about :mrgreen:

Elections are very close so be ready to hear more propaganda from state media.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by rheonomic » 03 Mar 2018, 20:04

milosh wrote:Elections are very close so be ready to hear more propaganda from state media.

I hear they think that Putin might win.
"You could do that, but it would be wrong."

Location: Home of nuclear submarines, engines, and that's about it.

by white_lightning35 » 03 Mar 2018, 23:46

rheonomic wrote:
milosh wrote:Elections are very close so be ready to hear more propaganda from state media.

I hear they think that Putin might win.

Stoopid Americans only ever get two choices for president, they say.

xaxaxa, in glorious Soviet Russia you only need one! :mrgreen:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 04 Mar 2018, 18:52

Vlad is a man's man. Black belt in judo, doesn't take any sh!t from anyone. Fancies himself a pilot too, if the rumors are true. One thing's for sure: He's very hands on with his aircraft. I've seen him flying with TU-160 crews, AN-124's, Bears and loves inspecting various Flankers, the Mig 35 and now the SU-57.

I wonder if it's due to his short/diminutive stature?

Banned

by awsome » 05 Mar 2018, 04:28

mixelflick wrote:Vlad is a man's man. Black belt in judo, doesn't take any sh!t from anyone. Fancies himself a pilot too, if the rumors are true. One thing's for sure: He's very hands on with his aircraft. I've seen him flying with TU-160 crews, AN-124's, Bears and loves inspecting various Flankers, the Mig 35 and now the SU-57.

Maybe he is just like the rest of us and loves combat aircraft. If you had the opportunity to take a ride and even take the controls of any of these aircraft wouldn't you?

Banned

by awsome » 05 Mar 2018, 04:31

I still wonder how long they were really there and if they had a hand in the downing of the Israeli F-16...

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by botsing » 05 Mar 2018, 10:44

awsome wrote:I still wonder how long they were really there and if they had a hand in the downing of the Israeli F-16...

Yeah, sure. Lets take the conspiracy theories to the max. LOL

What if they were there to make sure aliens could land to take part in the Syrian war? Some ragheads definitely seem to hide their whole head in front of the cameras so we cannot see their alien face.
"Those who know don’t talk. Those who talk don’t know"

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 05 Mar 2018, 17:50

awsome wrote:
mixelflick wrote:Vlad is a man's man. Black belt in judo, doesn't take any sh!t from anyone. Fancies himself a pilot too, if the rumors are true. One thing's for sure: He's very hands on with his aircraft. I've seen him flying with TU-160 crews, AN-124's, Bears and loves inspecting various Flankers, the Mig 35 and now the SU-57.

Maybe he is just like the rest of us and loves combat aircraft. If you had the opportunity to take a ride and even take the controls of any of these aircraft wouldn't you?

Absolutely. Good point.

I love planes, and take Jiu Jitsu too. I'm 6 feet tall and 240lbs of muscle.... and 48 years old. Only wish I had started Jiu Jitsu sooner!

With respect to the SU-57 in Syria, the grand experiment is reportedly over. I suppose they got a little PR from it, but something doesn't sound right. 2 days does not make much of a "combat deployment". It almost sounds like they realized this was a mistake, they were taking a huge risk with prototypes/pilots and scuttled the whole thing...

PreviousNext