F-15C Eagle standing down after 50 years service

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
  • Author

edpop

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post02 Oct 2022, 09:03

Vietnam veteran (70th Combat Engineer Battalion)(AnKhe & Pleiku) 1967
Retired from Chrysler Engineering

daswp

Unread post02 Oct 2022, 18:05

Misleading title, OR ANG is retiring their jets. I assume they are getting EX's or another airframe. The rest of the Guard will keep flying for another 10 years.

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post03 Oct 2022, 06:12

daswp wrote:Misleading title, OR ANG is retiring their jets. I assume they are getting EX's or another airframe. The rest of the Guard will keep flying for another 10 years.

The remaining F-15C's will be replaced with a mix of both F-35A's and F-15EX's. (mostly the former) As for lasting another 10 years very doubtful. The USAF/ANG are pushing them out fast.....

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post03 Oct 2022, 15:35

I hope when its final chapter is written, the F-15 retains its undefeated streak of 104-0. Not going to be easy, especially now that it flies in a world of stealth fighters.

To think though it remains in production and has outlasted the Tomcat, Super Hornet and so many other contemporary airframes... amazing. The engineers at McDonnell Douglas should rightfully be proud of such an accomplishment..

charlielima223

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post03 Oct 2022, 17:27

mixelflick wrote:I hope when its final chapter is written, the F-15 retains its undefeated streak of 104-0. Not going to be easy, especially now that it flies in a world of stealth fighters.

To think though it remains in production and has outlasted the Tomcat, Super Hornet and so many other contemporary airframes... amazing. The engineers at McDonnell Douglas should rightfully be proud of such an accomplishment..

Cant knock a good design and hard to replace. Hell look at the Ma'deuce and the Buff... stil going strong.

I think the Eagle will retire with an unblemished record (in terms of air-to-air). There is not enough competing stealth fighters out there to really do anything. As much as China postures they know the ramifications if they want to cross the "final redline" (where ever that is). Russia has turned out to be a giant stuffed bear. Then again all it takes is one convincing idiot and enough lemmings to start something stupid.

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post03 Oct 2022, 19:00

A Gold Plated beast to be sure. Great design, no shortage of money thrown at it for upgrades.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

edpop

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post04 Oct 2022, 00:06

I remember reading somewhere that a clean F-15 could exceed Mach 1 in a vertical climb. And to think of all the earlier jets that could barely do that in a dive. Unbelievable.
Vietnam veteran (70th Combat Engineer Battalion)(AnKhe & Pleiku) 1967
Retired from Chrysler Engineering

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post04 Oct 2022, 02:46

mixelflick wrote:I hope when its final chapter is written, the F-15 retains its undefeated streak of 104-0. Not going to be easy, especially now that it flies in a world of stealth fighters.

Yes, nobody is knocking the F-15s decades of achievement. Yet, we all get old including the Eagle. Just can't stop father time....

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post04 Oct 2022, 13:30

Yes, that's true. Remarkably though, it remains a great platform to hang things off of, incorporate new radar/avionics into and even use new motors to carry all of this faster, further and higher than most other jets. Of course there's no stealth magic, but that hasn't stopped other US platforms with many of the same attributes - like the B-52.

Too bad that Russian "plasma stealth" stuff wasn't for real. The mighty Eagle would still be flying a hundred years from now, just like the B-52 lol.

quicksilver

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post04 Oct 2022, 13:41

“outlasted the…Super Hornet”

splain that one for us.

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post04 Oct 2022, 14:02

quicksilver wrote:“outlasted the…Super Hornet”

splain that one for us.

Has the Pentagon not stopped ordering SH's? Or at least tried to? I don't count Congress mandating SH orders (corporate welfare) after the Navy said they didn't want anymore of them.

They're ordering more F-15EX's.

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post04 Oct 2022, 14:26

mixelflick wrote:

splain that one for us.

Has the Pentagon not stopped ordering SH's? Or at least tried to? I don't count Congress mandating SH orders (corporate welfare) after the Navy said they didn't want anymore of them.

Then that's a hypocritical standard. The USAF said that the F-15EX had no place in the modern Air Force but the Pentagon shoved a dozen of them into the budget while a former Boeing exec was acting Secretary of Defense.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

quicksilver

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post04 Oct 2022, 16:42

This ^

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post05 Oct 2022, 12:48

sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:
mixelflick wrote:

splain that one for us.

Then that's a hypocritical standard. The USAF said that the F-15EX had no place in the modern Air Force but the Pentagon shoved a dozen of them into the budget while a former Boeing exec was acting Secretary of Defense.

I still see F-15EX's being built long after the SH. That's the bottom line. That, and some non-military entity keeps trying to add more SH to the budget every year. The pentagon asking for airframes is a different story IMO. You can argue all day who in the Pentagon, what connections they have etc., but if I'm not mistaken that person is either gone or has been marginalized, and they're still ordering them - so it has to be more than 1 person. People (plural) in the pentagon/USAF want the thing. I didn't say it was right, but facts are facts. I actually wish the $ was being spent on F-35A's.

The F-15EX is being built at a point far beyond its IOC, vs. any SH.

quicksilver

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post05 Oct 2022, 17:14

“I don't count Congress mandating SH orders (corporate welfare) after the Navy said they didn't want anymore of them.“

…but you did count Congress mandating EX orders. That’s the bottom line (which is what spurts was pointing out to you).

SH is gonna be around a long time.
Next

Return to Modern Military Aircraft