Next-Generation Air Dominance fighter (USAF)

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
  • Author

XanderCrews

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: 1

Unread post03 Aug 2021, 17:48

strykerxo wrote:"CREWS"

My suggestion, that the rate of technology advancements is so rapid that fixating on a single airframe for 50+ years is not feasible either. Roper and others have said the F-35 "is an inflection point" regarding sustainment costs, proposed a F-16 replacement, "silver bullet fleets", retire the F-22, as well as comment about the airframe not being the prime issue to costs and the supposed development of NGAD vehicle flying in record time.

Multiple airframes using common engines, SA, EW, stealth, ETC. or an airframe like the Su-27 family makes sense in a unknown future, tier 1 thru 3 conflict. F-22 variant (delta, no tail), fuselage plug or conformal tanks, F-35 components (engines, SA, EW, stealth, ETC.) or better.

Russian or Chinese developments may warrant something other than a F-35 option. Both countries have to prove they are on par with the West. China is worrying because they're ambitions seem obvious, together with the cash we flow through them and willingness to expand/leap frog their military.

I can see how it works in a bubble, I don't see how it works in real life given what we have actually witnessed. The thing with revolutions is you can't simply hit the "revolution button" there has to be the technology that drives it. The century series happened for a reason, and more importantly was given an environment in which it was allowed to take place. I do not feel we have either working for us. The century series would not happen if we installed todays pentagon and risk averse culture back then. Simple as. Maybe I'm wrong and there is a "revolution button" it just involves getting politics and oversight out of the way. The airframe actually seems to be the least of the worries as mentioned, and for a long time now most people have settled with them. only F-15s and F-22s can even break mach 2. But we can agree to disagree-- and I don't have a crystal ball.

if i did she would look like that^

I am also very weary of "silver bullet" solutions. I've seen many come and go, and they turn out to be more of the lead balloon variety
Choose Crews

charlielima223

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post24 Sep 2021, 05:28

A look at things to come?

https://theaviationist.com/2021/09/22/m ... helendale/

Earlier this year the USAF made a claim that they flew a technology test bed. Now this picture of a very exotic shape that looks to be pushing the levels of design. No doubt that this design looks to be extremely VLO. Aerodynamically this shape looks to be leaning towards long cruise ranges and possibly speed. Then again the Helendale facility tests all kinds of designs that are still highly classified that hasnt been publicly expressed to be used operationally.

disconnectedradical

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post13 Oct 2021, 04:08

I doubt the real NGAD would have such lax security around the shape, but really hoping it's a tailless supersonic aircraft. That would bring huge benefits to stealth.

charlielima223

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post14 Oct 2021, 18:38

disconnectedradical wrote:I doubt the real NGAD would have such lax security around the shape, but really hoping it's a tailless supersonic aircraft. That would bring huge benefits to stealth.

Who knows... That facility test many shapes and designs that have not been disclosed to the public. Back then it was easier to keep things secret and for longer because there were no smartphones hooked up to the interwebs and massive social media. Also this could have been intentionally planned. Sometimes dropping just a little bit can go a long way on how you want to control the information.

It would appear 6th gen fighters will be tailless or be very close to.

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post15 Oct 2021, 12:09

charlielima223 wrote:
disconnectedradical wrote:I doubt the real NGAD would have such lax security around the shape, but really hoping it's a tailless supersonic aircraft. That would bring huge benefits to stealth.

Who knows... That facility test many shapes and designs that have not been disclosed to the public. Back then it was easier to keep things secret and for longer because there were no smartphones hooked up to the interwebs and massive social media. Also this could have been intentionally planned. Sometimes dropping just a little bit can go a long way on how you want to control the information.

It would appear 6th gen fighters will be tailless or be very close to.

That was also thought about the 5th gen.
"There I was. . ."
Previous

Return to Modern Military Aircraft