SR-72

Experimental aircraft including -but not limited to- X-planes, from the Bell X-1 to the Su-47
  • Author

tank-top

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post24 Nov 2019, 17:15

Looks like old news, this came out in 2017. There was a spotting but what was spotted nobody knows. Skunkworks and Lockheed Martin have confirmed they have built a hybrid turbojet/scramjet engine and that the technology will be used in several platforms. While cool, I’m not sure I see the point.

wrightwing

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post24 Nov 2019, 17:19

The point is hypersonic ISR/strike on time sensitive targets.

tank-top

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post25 Nov 2019, 06:44

wrightwing wrote:The point is hypersonic ISR/strike on time sensitive targets.

I apologize, obviously I see -the point, by itself I don't see the point.most any adversary can be easily handled by legacy aircraft and modern weapon systems. A more advanced adversary can also be overwhelmed by current and legacy aircraft and weapons systems. The only possible use for this technology is to force specific nations to spend money they don’t have on defensive counters measures they don’t need.

We currently have or soon will have;

F22’s
F-35’s
B-2’s
B-21’s
A half dozen stealthy drones
Cruise missiles, some have ECM, stealth and decoy capability.

Now let’s add some Mach 6+ 100,000’ altitude aircraft that may or may not be armed.

I’m a firm believer in not fighting fair.... looms like we may achieved that in spades.

milosh

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post25 Nov 2019, 20:32

While we wait SR-72 or MiG-41, Chinese already using WZ-8. Maybe not hypesonic but high supersonic with nice range and low RCS.

Return to X-planes