Indian Mirage 2000 hits targets in Pakistan

Discuss air warfare, doctrine, air forces, historic campaigns, etc.
  • Author

mixelflick

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

• Warnings: 1

Unread post17 Mar 2019, 14:08

tomcooper wrote:
mixelflick wrote:Well, when I posted here how much I enjoyed reading about Iranian Tomcat/Phoenix kills, someone chimed in and said most of it had been proven false? For the record, I thought you did a fantastic job documenting things, at least as best you could.

This is a link to the Study titled Trends in Air-to-Air Combat (PDF), prepared by John Stillion from the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments, in the US.

Check the page 14, to inform yourself about the methodology of the people involved. It starts as follows:

CSBA compiled a database of all confirmed aerial victories from 1965 through 2013. The primary source for the database is regional and national databases maintained by the Air Combat Information Group (ACIG). Where possible, the ACIG air combat victories were crosschecked with official sources such as Project Red Baron accounts of U.S. victories and losses in Vietnam. The database contains information on 1,467 confirmed victories over fixed-wing combat aircraft. In addition to the date and nationality of the victor, all database entries include information on the type of aircraft claimed shot down and the type of weapon used (e.g., AIM-9, AA-2 Atoll, gun). In many cases the name of the victorious pilot and his unit are available. In some cases, ACIG has been able to cross-reference claims with officially admitted losses and provide the victim aircraft pilot’s name and/or aircraft tail number. The database contains victory claims for pilots from the United States, Vietnam, India, Pakistan, Israel, Egypt, Jordon, Syria, Iraq, Iran, the United Kingdom, Argentina, Venezuela, and Ecuador in achieving confirmed air-to-air victories.

...which, eventually, is the bare essence of the reason why am I researching aerial warfare since 1945 at all.

(For those who might now know it: I used to run the ACIG.org website from 1999 until 2017; I'm still running the ACIG.info forum, yes, also since 1999. And, no: I was not involved in preparing that study. The CSBA-people simply used what used to be posted on the ACIG.org website.)

Here's a video of the presentation of that study at the US Air Force Association's Mitchel Institute for Aerospace Studies. Please, listen carefully at around minute 21:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmGRn7GirS0

In acknowledgment of my research on the operational history of Iranian F-14s, the USN invited me to the Tomcat Sunset ceremony (official withdrawal from service ceremony for the F-14 Tomcat), and the following symposium with same title (where I was the only foreigner around), held at NAS Oceana, back in September 2006.

By side my books and articles about most diverse wars fought around the globe, but I think I can be proud of being contracted by nobody less than the Austrian MOD to provide continuous coverage of the war in Syria, for much of the last two years, too.

Now, please tell me - mixelflick or any other of you here, but especially those having any kind of traces of doubts about my credibility, thinking I'm biased towards one or the other party, or anything else of that kind: what can you offer in support of your own ability to express any kind of doubts about my work? ....or for even having doubts about my credibility?

Anonymous sources from the internet?

...or hear-say from your neighbor's best friend's brother's aunt of the father-in-law....?

Relax Tom. I didn't question your credibility, nothing of the sort.

In fact, I stated I believe your claims and noted that you did a good job documenting such to the best extent possible, did I not? People here love to extrapolate and assume what others are thinking. These people need to chill out. Nobody here is a mind reader..

Many thanks for the links. I found them most informative..

marsavian

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post17 Mar 2019, 20:40

India, Pakistan threatened to unleash missiles at each other: sources

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-indi ... SKCN1QY03T

The sparring between India and Pakistan last month threatened to spiral out of control and only interventions by U.S. officials, including National Security Advisor John Bolton, headed off a bigger conflict, five sources familiar with the events said.

At one stage, India threatened to fire at least six missiles at Pakistan, and Islamabad said it would respond with its own missile strikes “three times over”, according to Western diplomats and government sources in New Delhi, Islamabad and Washington.

The way in which tensions suddenly worsened and threatened to trigger a war between the nuclear-armed nations shows how the Kashmir region, which both claim and is at the core of their enmity, remains one of the world’s most dangerous flashpoints.

The exchanges did not get beyond threats, and there was no suggestion that the missiles involved were anything more than conventional weapons, but they created consternation in official circles in Washington, Beijing and London ....

mixelflick

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

• Warnings: 1

Unread post18 Mar 2019, 13:37

Are PAK or Indian missiles of this sort road mobile?

I'm not aware that either country has F-15E like strike aircraft designed to hunt these types of missiles. Just basic air to ground strike fighters. Hopefully, India's Rafale's will have some capability in this regard. Not sure if PAK has anything in the hopper like it.

Would get ugly fast. Glad it didn't happen..

basher54321

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post18 Mar 2019, 19:29

Social Media has been getting in a twiz over this recent photo supposedly from the crashed MiG-21Bison showing R-73 and R-77 variants - not easy to confirm the source though unfortunately.

R-73 and R-77.jpg

Shimud

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post18 Mar 2019, 20:36

mixelflick wrote:Are PAK or Indian missiles of this sort road mobile?

I'm not aware that either country has F-15E like strike aircraft designed to hunt these types of missiles. Just basic air to ground strike fighters. Hopefully, India's Rafale's will have some capability in this regard. Not sure if PAK has anything in the hopper like it.

Would get ugly fast. Glad it didn't happen..

India's longest range ICBM Agni V can be carried on a road mobile vehicle. I guess they call it transport and tilting vehicle.
Pakistan's longest range ICBM is launched using a TEL, implies road mobile.

A conflict between two can get ugly in a short time.
Today, I was reading an article by Reuters, where in between the lines, it was evident that even during these testing times, the intelligence agencies of two were in constant contact with each other. I think it helped in extinguishing the fire.

I still firmly believe that this whole episode was staged by the BJP government in India, to gain votes, before general elections. Check their campaign posters and banners. They are clearly exploiting the political and religious sentiments.
Previous

Return to Air Power