"Iraqi Mirages in Combat" book

Cold war, Korea, Vietnam, and Desert Storm - up to and including for example the A-10, F-15, Mirage 200, MiG-29, and F-18.
  • Author

milosh

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post23 Mar 2019, 19:32

mixelflick wrote:But that's not what's happening..

Egypt is buying the SU-35, so is China. Malaysia, Vietnam and Venezuala all bought Flankers too. So far the only entity with a firm buy is Russia, and its a token quantity at that. Mig really needs to do a lot better than up-rated Fulcrums, but I fail to see anything materializing. At this point, they need a real hail mary design, something to get them at least back in the same ballpark as Sukhoi. I realize they're both state owned, but Mig as a design bureau has to have some pride.

I would hope, anyway..

First problem is engine. Flanker got couple variants of AL-31 and it got AL-41 (only 20% of engine is based on AL-31) in last two decades while MiG-29/35 got two variants of RD-33. Flankers will get next gen engine in 2020s, for MiG-35 next engine isn't mentioned at all.

Second problem is price. You have many new Flankers build after cold war ended while less then 100 new MiG-29/35. So even though Flanker is bigger bird price difference isn't big and spare parts are cheaper for Flanker.

azharkamalhussein

Unread post16 May 2019, 17:40

Dear friend, if you need any sources (diaries, photos and even personal collectibles of an F1 fighter) I can help you, as I have in my possession A LOT of materials and belongings especially diaries of my father ( F1 and super etendard until 1984).
He flew the Mirage first at the beginning of the Iraqi Iranian war until 1983 he went to France and there he trained on the super etendard.

I am still in contact with his former super etendard pilot and can get you in touch with him.
Just for the sake of validity no more:)

With regards
Previous

Return to Military Aircraft of the Cold War