US Navy retires last F/A-18C Hornets from combat

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
  • Author

f-16adf

Unread post30 May 2018, 15:47

Sad to see them go, hard to believe it's been nearly 30 years. Awesome jet-

https://www.military.com/daily-news/201 ... rvice.html

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post30 May 2018, 18:08

Wow, I didn't expect the Charlie to be retired so much sooner than Vipers.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer

southernphantom

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post30 May 2018, 18:20

sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:Wow, I didn't expect the Charlie to be retired so much sooner than Vipers.

I'd imagine that carrier landings result in shorter operational lives when compared to the Viper.

There's also the matter of VFA-204, which is still flying upgraded A-models...
I'm a mining engineer. How the hell did I wind up here?

popcorn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post31 May 2018, 00:55

Factor in corrosion as well.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

35_aoa

Unread post31 May 2018, 04:05

southernphantom wrote:
sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:Wow, I didn't expect the Charlie to be retired so much sooner than Vipers.

I'd imagine that carrier landings result in shorter operational lives when compared to the Viper.

204 and VFC-12 just started taking deliveries of former fleet F/A-18C's in the last year. A's/B's should be pretty well gone in the near future.

I don't know how widely it was publicized, but basically around this time last year, the CNO directed that legacy Hornets will be retired within 6 months (from operational squadrons). It didn't happen quite that quickly, but it was much faster than anyone had anticipated. I don't know his personal reasoning, but I think it had a lot to do with the exponential increase in serious physiological episodes that the legacy fleet specifically was experiencing at the time. Loved flying it, but it's time to "depart the pattern" was many years ago.

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post31 May 2018, 05:17

35_aoa wrote: Loved flying it, but it's time to "depart the pattern" was many years ago.

:salute:
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer

charlielima223

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post31 May 2018, 07:10

All good things must come to an end :salute:

weasel1962

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

• Warnings: 3

Unread post31 May 2018, 07:30

End of legacy F-18s won’t be so fast. The Navy employed risk management, buying the Super Hornets first (minimal F-35 mainly for training earlier) whilst the USMC bought the F-35. All USN fighter squadrons can be replaced by the 700+ Super Hornet and Growlers bought. Legacy USN F-18Cs are passed to the USMC to stretch their legacy squadron ops until f-35 gradual replacement by FY 2031 per USMC aviation plan.

mixelflick

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post31 May 2018, 14:17

Just read the article. It isn't "going away" so to speak, at least in the way I'd like to see it flying off into the sunset. Still flown by reserve squadrons and the Blue Angels, the general public will still see it as an ambassador of sorts for the US Navy.

Was it better than the F-4 and A-7 it replaced? In some respects, sure. But it (and it's bigger brother, the SH) was pushed down the Navy's throat and left a real bad taste in some people. Look at any US Navy CVN today and it appears to be an all Hornet Navy. We've all heard jokes about an AWACS or COD Hornet, and sometimes it seems they'd even try it.

When it does eventually go and go for good, nobody will miss it like they do the F-14, 15 or 16. It just never had the show stopping charisma (or combat record in US service) those other jets did. And it'll soldier on seemingly forever with other air arms - Canada seems particularly fond of it for some reason.

For once, I'd like to see a CVN deck with NO Hornets on it to speak of. But I'll never live to see it :(

southernphantom

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post31 May 2018, 16:24

35_aoa wrote:
southernphantom wrote:

204 and VFC-12 just started taking deliveries of former fleet F/A-18C's in the last year. A's/B's should be pretty well gone in the near future.

I don't know how widely it was publicized, but basically around this time last year, the CNO directed that legacy Hornets will be retired within 6 months (from operational squadrons). It didn't happen quite that quickly, but it was much faster than anyone had anticipated. I don't know his personal reasoning, but I think it had a lot to do with the exponential increase in serious physiological episodes that the legacy fleet specifically was experiencing at the time. Loved flying it, but it's time to "depart the pattern" was many years ago.

That's a step in the right direction; I hadn't been able to find any news that those two Reserve units had started conversion.
I'm a mining engineer. How the hell did I wind up here?

weasel1962

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

• Warnings: 3

Unread post31 May 2018, 22:33

southernphantom wrote:That's a step in the right direction; I hadn't been able to find any news that those two Reserve units had started conversion.

I understand it (F-18Es) was in the unfunded list whose budget was approved and topped-up by Congress. Based on the current production schedule, the aircraft should be delivered post 2022-2025 (after the Kuwait order).

https://www.defensenews.com/congress/bu ... e-hornets/

Return to Modern Military Aircraft