Cargo Capacity

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is C-130 related.
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by JetTest » 28 Oct 2017, 20:54

I have what seems to me to a be a rather simple question, but have received conflicting answers, so figured I would try here, as certainly many here would have practical experience with it. I scanned the forums but did not find anything relating to this. My question is can a standard 40' sea container fit inside a C-130? Weight is not in play in the question, only physical dimensions and loadability. 40' long, 8' wide, 8'6" high. Thanks, in advance.

by wbh » 29 Oct 2017, 00:15

Cargo compartment ; length =41ft ,Width = 10 ft 3 in , height = 9 ft. This is standard Military prior to the J-30 ,which is longer.

by h-bomb » 03 Nov 2017, 05:26

JetTest wrote:I have what seems to me to a be a rather simple question, but have received conflicting answers, so figured I would try here, as certainly many here would have practical experience with it. I scanned the forums but did not find anything relating to this. My question is can a standard 40' sea container fit inside a C-130? Weight is not in play in the question, only physical dimensions and loadability. 40' long, 8' wide, 8'6" high. Thanks, in advance.

They could fit but remember that the standard 40 ft container 8,750 Ibs empty. That is close to 20% of the C-130J-30's payload alone. That would be a hugely inefficient use of the payload capacity. When compared to 355 pounds per pallet with cargo nets. All 8 in a J-30 would weight less than 3000 lbs.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by JetTest » 03 Nov 2017, 17:10

H, do you happen to know how much of the 9' height is taken by the roller-floor/pallet system?

by h-bomb » 03 Nov 2017, 19:25

JetTest: Not sure they add several inches 2.5 - 3 I think? I have been out for too long! Here are some pictures...

http://www.cdkmobile.com/container_aircraft_loading.htm

The J model is the 2nd to last image here: http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/hercules/

by wbh » 17 Nov 2017, 01:51

The photos of loading the containers was impressive. I must add a note of caution : A. Prior to each container insertion inspect the upper surface of the container for any distortions , bulges or any abnormally which could the container to come in contact with the Center Wing lower surface. B. After each container offload inspect the Center Wing Insulation Blanket for evidence of contact with the container. C If evidence referenced in step "B" is found remove the Blanket and inspect the Center Wing lower surface from BL 61R to BL61L for any scrapes , gouges , dents or scratches . D if any defects are found report them to WRALC ,NAVAIR SYSCOM or FAA Engineering for disposition ( Whichever has Engineering Authority for your Airplane ). This is important , as the Center Wing Lower surface , as listed ,is a high stress zone.