MGG (Main Landing Gear) Track shoes rigging

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is C-130 related.

by guru_portela » 05 Mar 2015, 05:19

When we use the track width indicating tool (PN 3402044-l) since the narrower point on track will be the highest reading on the tool, which value should be used as the minimum readings? Could someone please tell me?

The manual says "...mark the location of the approximate center of the upper and lower shoes on the tracks with a wax crayon. Retract the gear about 18 inches and use the track width indicating tool to take readings at the marked locations. Record these measurements as dimension “L” for the lower shoes, and dimension “U” for the upper shoes. Now extend the gear and, with the aid of the track width indicator, establish and record the minimum readings in these areas:
  • From the lower shoes to the upper shoes; record your measurement here as dimension “X”.
  • From the upper shoes to the ballscrew pillow block;record the reading at this location as dimension "Y",
  • From the pillow block to the top of the tracks; record this value as dimension “Z”.

Best regards.

F-16.net Webmaster
F-16.net Webmaster

by Lieven » 05 Mar 2015, 09:46

Hi guru_portela, Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately I'm no subject matter expert on C-130 maintenance, but if it can be of any help to you or anyone else interested in this topic, I found the instructions you quoted in the Lockheed Service News Vol.06, No. 1 of Jan-Mar 1979.

mlg-track-shoe-clearances.png
From: Lockheed Service News Vol.06, No. 1 of Jan-Mar 1979
mlg-track-shoe-clearances.png (261.68 KiB) Viewed 9554 times

by guru_portela » 05 Mar 2015, 16:57

Hi,

I already have the service news that you indicate, and the applicable maintenance manual, but my doubts are about the minimum dim reading, because the tool gouge indicate the high value when in fact IS the narrowest point in the track's, that means the minimum length!

Best regards.