Lockheed Blackbird Family

Experimental aircraft including -but not limited to- X-planes, from the Bell X-1 to the Su-47
Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by aaam » 15 Jun 2013, 19:43

count_to_10 wrote:The picture shows exactly what I meant -- the bays are under the curve of the fuselage, not in the narrow angled portion of the chines. As to the missile type -- no designation came with the model, and I didn't know of any missile that had the same form as the Phoenix.

I recommend you look back a few posts to the drawings spudman and I posted. You'll note the location of the bays from which weapons would be deployed. These are the same bays where some of the SR-71's reconaissance modules were located, and the last time I saw those, there were four of them, two on each side, not one off-center. I am not all that sure where you are differentiating fuselage and chines. Chines are aerodynamic shapes around the fuselage and have space inside, unlike strakes (Super Hornet has very prominent ones of those), although they do serve similar purposes.

Regarding ths missle itself, I'm also attaching a picture of the AIM-47 and AIM-54, which you can also find in this very topic at ATFS Crash's post of Dec. 15, 2007. Regarding missle(s) having the same form as Phoenix, both came from the Falcon family, and I'm also including a drawing of those (GAR-9 is the AIM-47, AGM-76 was a proposed strike version of it). AIM-54 is "Son of AIM-47".
Attachments
aim47aim541.jpg
aim4family.jpg

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by count_to_10 » 15 Jun 2013, 20:58

I think the model I had just re-used a phoenix from an F-14 model of the same scale.
As for the bays, I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this. What I see in those pictures is clearly separate from the chines.
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.

Uncertainty: Learn it, love it, live it.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by aaam » 16 Jun 2013, 00:34

count_to_10 wrote:I think the model I had just re-used a phoenix from an F-14 model of the same scale.
As for the bays, I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this. What I see in those pictures is clearly separate from the chines.

I beleive we are passing each other in semantics, I'm perfectly willing to agree as to where the bays are relative to the rest of the a/c. The big thing I wanted to get across was that there were four separate bays, two on each side, and not just one with tandem missiles.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by count_to_10 » 16 Jun 2013, 01:37

aaam wrote:. The big thing I wanted to get across was that there were four separate bays, two on each side, and not just one with tandem missiles.

That was definitely an artifact of the model. I'm not sure if they thought there was only one bay, or they were just limiting the number of parts by only allowing one bay to be built open, but the model only had the one bay. Moreover, the bay only had two doors, no the four doors that can be seen in the picture.
It did have the folding dorsal fin that doesn't appear on the SR-71, though.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by aaam » 16 Jun 2013, 23:36

count_to_10 wrote:
aaam wrote:. The big thing I wanted to get across was that there were four separate bays, two on each side, and not just one with tandem missiles.

That was definitely an artifact of the model. I'm not sure if they thought there was only one bay, or they were just limiting the number of parts by only allowing one bay to be built open, but the model only had the one bay. Moreover, the bay only had two doors, no the four doors that can be seen in the picture.
It did have the folding dorsal fin that doesn't appear on the SR-71, though.

Did it have the raised cockpit, unike to the F-12?

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by count_to_10 » 17 Jun 2013, 00:29

I don't remember a raised cockpit, but I'm not sure I would notice it. The biggest difference I noticed from the SR-71 was that it had a ray-dome that wasn't blended into the chines.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by That_Engine_Guy » 17 Jun 2013, 05:08

aaam wrote:Did it have the raised cockpit, unike to the F-12?

The only Blackbirds with "raised" aft cockpit were the A-12 and SR-71B "Trainers"

See drawing below.

Also note;
A-12 = pointy nose-chine, single seat, Raised second cockpit for trainer model (non-operational)
YF-12 = longer nose-radome, chine more rounded and cropped for radar/IRST installations, tandem seats
SR-71 = more rounded nose-chine, tandem seats, Raised second cockpit for trainer model (non-operational)

The YF-12 had a smaller tail cone and the folding ventral fin for improved lateral stability.

Keep 'em flyin' :thumb:
TEG
Attachments
Blackbird_3View.jpg
[Airplanes are] near perfect, all they lack is the ability to forgive.
— Richard Collins

Previous