Flight Without Wings

Experimental aircraft including -but not limited to- X-planes, from the Bell X-1 to the Su-47
Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by jetblast16 » 05 Nov 2018, 01:16

Have F110, Block 70, will travel

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 05 Nov 2018, 01:34

We know how this ends...he gets $6M in upgrades. :mrgreen:
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by 35_aoa » 05 Nov 2018, 04:13

Really neat program.....I remember reading Milt Thompson's book when I was in high school, where he outlined his experience/involvement with it. Sounded like a great time, the way he wrote about it. I'm sure it is still going on in a significantly nerdier way these days, but the innovation that the Southern California aerospace industry had in the 1970's is maybe the most impressive and important time period of aviation history IMO. Certainly, very ground breaking things are happening right now, but so much of the groundwork was laid back then.......I guess in short, it was the real transition to a digital age of aircraft, and all the impressive capabilities that presented. It was all kind of taken for granted by the time I was an aviation buff as a kid in the 1980's, and certainly by the time I started flying military fighters a couple decades later, but there was really a lot of work that went into all the cool stuff that we just *have* now. I have all the respect in the world for those fine Americans who worked billions of man hours and likely tore out millions of miles worth of hair, in order to give us things like our current military fleet, the Space Shuttle, etc.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by jetblast16 » 05 Nov 2018, 22:26

Really neat program
Agreed, 35_aoa. I can think of no other type of plane that fires my imagination (still), as the lifting-body does.
Have F110, Block 70, will travel