Mishap Info

Military aircraft accidents/mishaps.

by Fastmover76 » 22 Feb 2004, 08:33

well, you guys can take a look at this site and see if you can come up with anything;

http://home.wanadoo.nl/patricknieuwkamp/wo.html

The author of the list does have an A model as having crashed into the Yukon River in '85 (serial 74-0087). Thats as much info as I could get, maybe one of you can get more. That's the best I can do for now. . .
If cookies were cash then baking would be counterfitting.

F-16.net Moderator
F-16.net Moderator

by TC » 23 Feb 2004, 06:58

Hey hey. This is my 100th post! I just broke my f-16.net cherry!

Anyway, if memory serves me correctly, this was actually an A model Eagle. Also, coming from that site that Fastmover was nice enough to find for us, the Eagle that went down in the Yukon River was an A model, specifically from the 43rd TFS (at the time stationed at Elmendorf AFB.)

Oh yeah, don't believe what Viper and Hornet guys tell you about the Eagle. ALL models of the F-15 can pull 9+ Gs. Even still, when you try to yank back on the stick going transonic, with 12K extra lbs of gas slung under your jet, you are pulling MUCH MUCH more than 9 Gs. If you try it, you WILL bust a lot of stuff, including your @$$. Needless to say, just as Jorgo's Eagle Driver friend mentioned, The F-15 will easily go through the over-G limit, to the point of structural failure. The wings will rip off, if you are dumb enough to allow them to.

Sadly, this story is not exaggerated to keep others from doing what he did, rather, we can now learn from his stupid mistake, and know the consequences of actions such as his. Official Reports will most likely be sealed from the Average Joe's view. However, if you are privy to that info, press on, and I hope you find something that you're allowed to tell.

F-16.net Moderator
F-16.net Moderator

by TC » 17 Apr 2004, 04:40

Well, this thread has been inactive for quite some time. Whaddya know, I was the last one to post something here, so I'd like to start another topic within the thread. Now, I've heard of this incident on a couple of occasions (it was whispered about in the Viper community) but I've never received the no kidding word on what actually happened. As for what happened, apparently, a Reserve Viper Driver decided to put on his own private F-16 Demo flight for some folks (friends, family, who cares?) In the process, I guess he augered in. Does anyone know more? Did he live or die? Is he cooling his @$$ off in Ft. Leavenworth, or is he cooling it off 6 feet underground? If this is a true story, it's always a shame when an idiot has to take a perfectly good jet with him.

by ViperFXR » 17 Apr 2004, 10:04

The only info I heard was it happened back in july 2000, Utah Air Reserve pilot on a flight to Texas, decided to put on a little demo for his family. I think he had a compressor stall and didn't recover. Can't say for sure if the pilot punched or not, But it did happened. I was at Hill during that time, and the rumors were going around there that this is what had happened. L8tr on!!
You crash em' We stash em'

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by habu2 » 17 Apr 2004, 16:13

That particular pilot was ferrying a jet between Ft Worth and Hill, his family lives on a farm in west Texas. He had a history of calling them when he was ferrying a jet, telling them he would be doing a "flyby". The way I heard it he tried to fly between two buildings, maybe a barn and a silo, and crashed the jet. Killed himself right in front of his family. Not real smart...
Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by Eagle21 » 17 Apr 2004, 16:40

Hello all, to go back to a previous topic, the F-15 at Elmendorf. I never pursued the story to see if it was true or not, but I have heard it a couple of times in my career as an F-15 crew chief. It has become part of the F-15 lore, so I "assume" there must be some truth to it.

JMC

F-16.net Moderator
F-16.net Moderator

by TC » 18 Apr 2004, 01:17

Thanks for the info guys. Yep, like I said before, too bad an idiot has to take a perfectly good jet with him.

BTW, if they catch you doing flybys over your home, they'll throw your @$$ in the slammer muy pronto. There was a similar case about 7 or 8 years ago in Nashville. A Tomcat pilot (from middle Tennessee) had his family at the airport to watch him takeoff and return to his base. He took off in full blower, stood the jet on its tail at the end of the runway, and blasted off into the sky. Almost as quickly as he climbed out, he comes screaming down, straight towards the deck. Anyway, I don't think I have to explain what happened next, yes, he made a $30 mil dollar smoking hole. I believe it was hypoxia from a bad hose connection, but don't quote me on it. Just one more @$$hole that cost the taxpayers some dough and removed himself from the gene pool, all because he thought he was Maverick in Top Gun.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Gums » 18 Apr 2004, 05:15

Yo ho!

With all due respect, TC, some of us routinely did flyby's with no bad results. Of course, if you stretch the envelope too far, and don't know it until it is too late -BOOM!

I believe that the Viper Pilot's net site has the gory details. And I think the troop was from the Carswell unit.

I make no excuses for poor judgement. Ain't like it was in the 'old days', either. Catch a guy doing his personal airshow and you crucify him. Same as when I was young and stupid.

Nevertheless, follow the 'rules' for buzz jobs ( as opposed to airshows like the clown in Texas did):

1) Stay subsonic
2) Climb into the sun so's they can't ID the type of plane
3) No second passes
4) Have another jet in the area to put the blame on

later,

and ask me about the infamous Univ of SW La buzz job...............
Gums
Viper pilot '79
"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

F-16.net Moderator
F-16.net Moderator

by TC » 18 Apr 2004, 23:21

LOL! That post made my day Gums. Yes, please tell me about the USWL flyby. Would be interesting to hear, as my sis was a "Ragin Cajun." BTW, a little trivia note: USWL was the college of 'Nam Ace Col. Chuck DeBellevue.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by JR007 » 20 Apr 2004, 06:37

Ha ha ha, Gums you crack me up!!!

Yee young warriors, listen to the MAN, Gums, he knows of which he speaks!!!

ONLY MAKE ONE PASS!!! Did y'all catch that one, if not, please read it again!, ONLY MAKE ONE PASS!!! Gums has passed upon each of you one of the most important pieces of TRUE FIGHTER PILOT KNOWLEDGE AND WISDOM THAT WILL EVER EXIST!

When I pass the statute of limitations I'll post mine when I was PIC!!! But I do remember after a long day of maintenance, a sovereign AMERICAN holiday, an FCF, and a BBQ we were to attend that evening...

Yup, the boss was up front and described the real state he was looking for, we found it and went over it 5 times with the smoke on... Stupid, but really fun. So then we get into a 78 "SA" Vette, now in shorts and t-shirts, and go to the BBQ... “Nope we didn’t go flying today we were working on the swimming pool”, was the “stock” answer… The FSDO called the boss later and told him he had used his get out of jail free card for that year…

Fly Hard Gentlemen, Life Is Short!

Gums,

What about "and ask me about the infamous Univ of SW La buzz job..............." "Being the "feeble pudknocker I am", I'm asking...

JR
Burning debris never reversed on anyone…

JR

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Gums » 21 Apr 2004, 05:09

Yo ho!

Remember....... DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME

Short hop to Lake Charles from New Orleans - old Chennault Field being used by depot repair facility. had to divert to New Orleans NAS after poor weather at Lake Charles day before.

Cold, crisp morning in Feb or January 1967. Young, stupid jock in clean F-101B. Permission for burner climb ( had to burn off some gas, see?). Tower and FAA approve climb if I can get to 21000 feet within next three minutes. Heh heh heh.

60-70 seconds later, level at FL220. "What kinda jet is that, Lima Lima 54?". "F-101 Voodoo", replies stupid Lt.

Over Lake Charles about 20 minutes later, maybe less. Down to field, weather good, mucho gas remaining, cancel IFR.

"Gotta burn off gas, folks. Will loiter a few"

" What to do, what to do......... hmmmmmmm"

Ah ha! Sis is at USL, only a few minutes away. NAS New Iberia is south a bit and their jets are flying about. (Rule 4: Have another jet in the area to put the blame on)

Transponder off, descend to 300 feet or so.

Line up west to east (rule 2: Climb into the sun so's they can't ID the type of plane)

Start approach at about 400 knots IAS. Stadium in sight, 500 knots now. Light burners about a half mile out (old burners - hard light and about a half second of near silence).

Kaboom!!!! Right over stadium and speed approaching 600 . GASP! Idle, nose up and into the sun (rule 2, again).

"Oh God, PLZ stay subsonic!!!" (Rule 1 'Stay subsonic' very much on young, stupid jock's mind now.............. a few years later, an Thud jock forgets rules 1 and 3, then breaks half the windows at Air Force Academy)

Level at 2000-3000 feet, then back on the deck and head west. Get heart back into chest. Breath slowly.

And remember Rule 3: No second passes.

Land, fly back to hometown (New Orleans) via commercial plane. Sis calls that night and is NOT SURPRISED that I am home. She says folks thot boilers had exploded, an asteroid had hit, etc. Some saw the jet, but could not make out model or whatever.

Still chuckle, and so does she.

And I restricted my flybys to GCI bubble checks for awhile.

later,
Gums
Viper pilot '79
"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

F-16.net Moderator
F-16.net Moderator

by TC » 21 Apr 2004, 06:02

ROFLMAO!!! :lol: You know, the sad thing is, is that the dumber the stuff one can do in a plane (just short of killing one's self) always seem to be the most fun things you can do too, you know, like buzzing a house, or a college, or even a tower if you're really psycho...What about that Thud driver? Was he a former Zoomie looking to show his @$$, or was he part of an airshow?

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by elp » 21 Apr 2004, 17:57

:D
- ELP -

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by JR007 » 23 Apr 2004, 04:51

Thanks Gums!
Burning debris never reversed on anyone…

JR

by eddienyr » 28 Sep 2004, 17:06

I know this brings up an old subject. I was a crew chief at Elmendorf when Dan (he had a name) augered in. As I recall there was an ORI and he was sitting alert at one of the forward bases. They were scrambled not knowing if it was real or the ORI game, off they went. Dan developed some sort of ECS problem and landed at said base for repairs. Upon departure I was told that he wanted to give the troops a show. The rest is history. The sad thing is when the PJ's found him we were told his chest harness strap was not secured. So he couldn't have ejected safely even if he had time. Second the autopsy showed he had survived the crash but drowned in the yukon. They say he had a gash on his forehead that matched the hud glass. Probably knocked him out. It was a real bummer when we heard that.

Edwin

Previous