Pilot seriously injured after jet crashes off Honolulu

Military aircraft accidents/mishaps.
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 13 Dec 2018, 05:48

Pilot seriously injured after jet crashes off Honolulu during military exercise
12 Dec 2018 HNN staff

"HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - A military training exercise turned into a real-life test for rescuers Wednesday when a jet participating in the Sentry Aloha war games crashed off Honolulu, leaving its pilot seriously injured. A military spokesman said the pilot was a civilian contractor and was flying a British-made Hawker Hunter aircraft....

...The pilot of the craft ejected moments before the crash, which happened just before 2:30 p.m. three miles south of the Reef Runway at Honolulu’s airport.... Shortly after the crash, a parasail operator rescued the pilot and he was then picked up by a Coast Guard vessel. Mark Ladner, of Extreme Parasail, was the good Samaritan who jumped into the water to help save the pilot.

“When I got into the water, I was asking him, are you OK? And he said yeah, my back hurts from the compression," Ladner said. "He had a little bit of blood coming out [of his mouth], I think it might have been from the impact because he was going pretty fast.”...

...The single-seat Hawker Hunter aircraft was participating in Sentry Aloha exercises off Oahu when it got into trouble.
The plane was owned by Airborne Tactical Advantage Company, which is a civilian “tactical airborne training organization." A company spokesman said they are investigating...."

Source: http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2018/12/13 ... -honolulu/
Attachments
HunterATACejectionHawaii12dec2018pdf.jpg

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 13 Dec 2018, 20:49

More to story with links however penultimate sentence witness statement is incorrect - single engine for HUNTER Jets.

http://www.airforcemag.com/Features/Pag ... awaii.aspx

by h-bomb » 15 Dec 2018, 04:52

spazsinbad wrote:More to story with links however penultimate sentence witness statement is incorrect - single engine for HUNTER Jets.

http://www.airforcemag.com/Features/Pag ... awaii.aspx

What is wrong with "The single-seat Hawker Hunter aircraft was participating in Sentry Aloha exercises off Oahu when it got into trouble."

The ex Swiss F-58s that ATAC flies are all single seat, single engine aircraft. Or do you have a problem giving the original manufacture Hawker Siddeley credit? Would you have been happier if they called it BAE Hunter?

The Rockwell vs Boeing B-1 bomber a problem for you? Boeing never made a B-1 so should we call it only Rockwell?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 15 Dec 2018, 11:47

Oh dear. I did not realise that website would change the text of the story and not indicate that it was changed or wrong.

This is the second last paragraph from the original story at that URL above:
"...Witnesses said they saw two aircraft take off and one crash into the water a few minutes later. Another witness told Hawaii News Now they overheard the pilot say both engines cut out shortly after takeoff...."

I'll post a PDF of the original story.
Attachments
ATAC Pilot Safe After Hawker Hunter Supporting Sentry Aloha Crashed Off Hawaii on Wednesday pp2.pdf
(249.41 KiB) Downloaded 1258 times