F-86 crash site

Military aircraft accidents/mishaps.

by proace » 30 Nov 2004, 05:20

Hi,

I was doing a search one day and F-16.net came up. Awesome site! Anyway the result of my search someone here had mentioned an F-86 crash site on Mt Lemon in Tucson, Arizona.

I have hiked to the crash site and have started a web page with some pics. If you check it out don't laugh, I am no webmaster and its a freebe page. My hope is the experts can help me maybe identify parts as I find them and post the pics.

:arrow: http://www.geocities.com/arizonaflying

Thanks,
Ace

by trailmix » 30 Nov 2004, 05:54

I can't see your pictures on the site. Welcome to the forum!

~mix

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by LinkF16SimDude » 30 Nov 2004, 16:20

proace wrote:Hi,

I was doing a search one day and F-16.net came up. Awesome site! Anyway the result of my search someone here had mentioned an F-86 crash site on Mt Lemon in Tucson, Arizona.

That may have been me. I remember the Butterfly Trail well. A real beauty of a day hike! Did it twice but only found the wreck site on the second try. I did lunch right next to the tree in the engine pictures! Not sure 'bout nowadays but when I did it about 7 or 8 years ago, the wreck site turnout wasn't blatantly marked. I had to go by tips from a guidebook to know what to look for on the trail.

by proace » 01 Dec 2004, 05:23

I hope to locate the fuse and maybe the cockpit. I don't expect to find too much more, even though the terrain is very rough I am sure the Air Force made an effort to locate any armament and any mil senistive parts. Also 47 years in the weather I am sure has taken some toll on the remaining parts.
Do hope to go again in the next month or so, depending on the snow depth.

by proace » 02 Dec 2004, 05:22

Hi Trailmix,

When you get to the page try doing a refresh on your browser. I have hed to do this myself a time or two. The pics are large and may take a bit to load if you are using dialup.

Sorry,
Ace