Commanding officer of Blue Angels relieved of duties

Military aircraft accidents/mishaps.

by tbarlow » 28 May 2011, 00:01

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43199136/ns ... mobile_al/

WPMI-TV
updated 1 hour 8 minutes ago 2011-05-27T21:42:47

PENSACOLA, Fla. — The commanding officer of the Blue Angels has been relieved of his duties at his request.

The request comes after the Blue Angels canceled their flyover at the Naval Academy's graduation following a lower-than-normal maneuver during the team’s performance at the Lynchburg Regional Airshow in Lynchburg, Va., May 22.

Navy Cmdr. Dave Koss will be replaced by former Blue Angels' commander Capt. Greg McWherter for the remainder of the season.

Koss, who took command of the Blue Angels in November, released the following statement:

“With deep personal regret I shared with my command today that I will be voluntarily leaving the greatest flight demonstration team. I performed a maneuver that had an unacceptably low minimum altitude. This maneuver, combined with other instances of not meeting the airborne standard that makes the Blue Angels the exceptional organization that it is, led to my decision to step down. I have the utmost respect for the Sailors and Marines of the Blue Angels organization and all that they embody. The reason this team is so successful, brings thrills to millions of fans across America, and represents the U.S. Navy so superbly is because of the absolute commitment to safety and perfection by every member of the team. I am honored to have been a part of this organization and I look forward to watching its success in the future.”

Because of the command change, the Blue Angels are canceling their shows at the Rockford Airfest June 4-5 and the Evansville Freedom Festival Air Show June 11-12.

The Blue Angels will remain in Pensacola for additional training and air show demonstration practice.

Click here to read this story on www.local15tv.com

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by StolichnayaStrafer » 30 May 2011, 15:55

Wow, that is some shocking news! :shock:

Bummer for the Air Show scene, but better safe than sorry.
Why is the vodka gone?
Why is the vodka always gone... oh- that's why!
Hide the vodka!!!

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by outlaw162 » 30 May 2011, 17:54

If he hadn't had that aggressive spirit, he may not have made it to that position.

It's hard to rein it back in.

Unless of course the implication is drawn that he, himself, &/or others questioned his proficiency.

Hard to tell.

OL

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by boff180 » 31 May 2011, 12:28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlUWQlXQB20

First half - move being performed correctly.
Second half - following day getting VERY LOW.

Andy
Andy Evans Aviation Photography
www.evansaviography.co.uk

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by outlaw162 » 31 May 2011, 22:58

That second pass was de rigueur for the Blue Angels in the Phantoms.

Times change.

OL