Pilots killed in Su-27 crash at Polish air show

Military aircraft accidents/mishaps.
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by ATFS_Crash » 30 Aug 2009, 15:48

A Belarusian fighter jet crashed Sunday during an air show in central Poland, killing both pilots, officials said.

The two-seat Su-27 jet was performing maneuvers at the festival in Radom, 65 miles south of Warsaw, when it went down.

Source and full story.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2009 ... show_N.htm

RIP
How many F-22s and JSFs could have been bought with $700 billion? Correct that.

Make that $1.7 Trillion.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by StolichnayaStrafer » 30 Aug 2009, 17:20

Gonna need some Russian Standard after reading this. :cry:
Why is the vodka gone?
Why is the vodka always gone... oh- that's why!
Hide the vodka!!!

by darkvarkguy » 30 Aug 2009, 22:55

What is the accident figures on Su-27 based aircraft? Seems like they loose a lot of them!
FB-111A Pease AFB 82-87
A-10A Suwon AB ROK 87-88
FB-111A/F-111G Pease AFB 88-90

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by StolichnayaStrafer » 31 Aug 2009, 01:59

Look at what we lose in training as well...

everyone loses a sizeable number of planes each year. It is not the least hazardous job out there for certain.
Why is the vodka gone?
Why is the vodka always gone... oh- that's why!
Hide the vodka!!!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by Rapec » 31 Aug 2009, 07:15

Well, I was at the Air Show in Radom on Suturday and I took a picture of this Su-27:
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7734/obraz149q.jpg

[*] for pilots.

by beepa » 19 Jan 2011, 07:41

Hey guys, I didn't want to start a new thread and could not find one about this particular mishap so I'm trying to sneak this one in. The footage in this link is EXTREMELY GRAPHIC so view it with caution!! The beginning is the mishap from one point of view. In the middle and at the end are the best footage of the mishap, just jump over the gory bits. I'm only posting this link because it is the closest point of view of a mishap that I have ever seen and thought some of you might be interested.....Crash footage is at the begining, at 6.45 and 8.00...skip the rest.

From liveleak..

SU-27 Crash at Airshow in Lvov, Ukraine (WARNING GRAPHIC)

Long version of an earlier post-

The Sknyliv airshow disaster occurred on July 27, 2002, when a Ukrainian Air Force Sukhoi Su-27 of the Ukrainian Falcons crashed during an aerobatics presentation at Sknyliv airfield (now known as Lviv International Airport) near Lviv, Ukraine. 85 people were killed, and over 100 injured. The crash remains the world's worst airshow accident to date.

The crash More.. was the second major accident involving the Ukrainian military in less than a year, as it followed the alleged downing of Siberia Airlines Flight 1812 by a stray missile in October 2001.

The aircraft, flown by two experienced pilots, entered a rolling maneuver with a downward trajectory at low altitude; having rolled upright once more the aircraft was still descending rapidly and the left wing dropped shortly before the aircraft hit the ground, at which point the crew initiated ejection.

The aircraft flattened out initially, skidding over the ground towards stationary aircraft, striking a glancing blow against the nose of an Il-76 transport aircraft before beginning to explode and cartwheel into the crowd of spectators. Both pilots survived with minor injuries from the ejection and landed just a few feet away from the transport aircraft.

On June 24, 2005, a military court sentenced pilot Volodymyr Toponar and co-pilot Yuriy Yegorov to fourteen and eight years in prison, respectively. The court found the two pilots and three other military officials guilty of failing to follow orders, negligence and violating flight rules.

Two of the three officials were sentenced to up to six years in prison, and the last official received up to four years. In addition, Toponar was ordered to pay 7.2 million hryvnia ($1.42 million; €1.18 million) in compensation to the families, and Yegorov another 2.5 million hryvnia. The crew's main flight trainer was acquitted for lack of evidence.

While the pilots were assigned the majority of the blame, which included accusations of attempting maneuvers that they were not experienced with, Toponar had requested an additional training flight at the airfield where the display was to be performed; this request was denied.

After the verdict was announced, Toponar said he planned to appeal, insisting the crash was due to technical problems and a faulty flight plan.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=665_1295386436