Tu95V bomber and the Tsar bomba test

Cold war, Korea, Vietnam, and Desert Storm - up to and including for example the A-10, F-15, Mirage 200, MiG-29, and F-18.
  • Author

han9

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post09 May 2017, 16:12

If you like big bangs, bombs & bombers this is the right thing for you

http://aerohisto.blogspot.com/2017/05/d ... .html#more

Written by yours truly and kindly published by Arnaud Delalande

terrygedran

han9

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post10 May 2017, 16:56

An AC / DC sound track for the vid – at least the bomb drop & detonation part – would be fitting :wink:

mixelflick

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post12 May 2017, 12:59

Man those Russian's don't mess around!

Love the TU-95, find it fascinating. I suppose it's their B-52, at least as far as longevity is concerned.

han9

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post16 May 2017, 08:43

To discuss the Tu 95 and even more so the similarities and differences between it and the BUFF would be too much for a forum post as it is impossible to do in a short and succinct manner without going into oversimplifications (books have been written about both which do not exhaust the subject completely).

However it can be stated, that both aircraft i.e. the Tu 95 and the B 52 were born out of an early Cold War requirement for a long range strategic bomber capable of nuking the others homeland.

Much has changed since but their long range and considerable payload steaming from the original requirement made them a part of the respective countries arsenal which continues to be of use till this very day.

hornetfinn

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post16 May 2017, 09:24

mixelflick wrote:Man those Russian's don't mess around!

Love the TU-95, find it fascinating. I suppose it's their B-52, at least as far as longevity is concerned.

I love Tu-95 too, it's just so anachronistic these days, even more so than B-52. It just looks and sounds like nothing else. It's interesting that both will likely serve longer than most of us will be able to witness...

AFAIK, the Tupolev just very barely made it to safety after Tsar Bomba went off and got a pretty wild ride in the pressure wave...

mixelflick

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post16 May 2017, 14:27

hornetfinn wrote:
mixelflick wrote:Man those Russian's don't mess around!

I love Tu-95 too, it's just so anachronistic these days, even more so than B-52. It just looks and sounds like nothing else. It's interesting that both will likely serve longer than most of us will be able to witness...

AFAIK, the Tupolev just very barely made it to safety after Tsar Bomba went off and got a pretty wild ride in the pressure wave...

Agree, 100%

With respect to the books that have been published on TU-95 and B-52.... any links/titles? I'd spring for that, as both aircraft have stood the test of time, that's for sure!

han9

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post17 May 2017, 09:38

hornetfinn wrote:AFAIK, the Tupolev just very barely made it to safety after Tsar Bomba went off and got a pretty wild ride in the pressure wave...

I have written about that in my article linked in the first post of this thread.

mixelflick wrote:With respect to the books that have been published on TU-95 and B-52.... any links/titles? I'd spring for that, as both aircraft have stood the test of time, that's for sure!

Concerning books – not that I am an advertising agent for them but Warbird Tech vol. 43 Tupolev Tu-95 Bear by Yefim Gordon and Peter Davidson as well as Tupolev Tu-95/Tu-142 by Yefim Gordon and Vladimir Rigmant would be OK. They do overleap in contents to some extend which is understandable considering the authorship as well as the fact that they are about the same aircraft. Arguably one can find most of the info from those books in the net anyway.

hornetfinn

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post17 May 2017, 11:07

han9 wrote:
hornetfinn wrote:AFAIK, the Tupolev just very barely made it to safety after Tsar Bomba went off and got a pretty wild ride in the pressure wave...

I have written about that in my article linked in the first post of this thread.

Oh man... I didn't even read the whole thread and now just noticed that article... :oops: Great article by the way, very interesting read and some very nice pictures.

han9

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post17 May 2017, 11:36

Glad you liked the article. Concerning the pics – apart from those which show the airmen involved which are from the official announcements when the HSU awards were gazetted - they are stills from a Soviet film chronicle documenting the event. For the latter see the second post of this thread for the link.

hornetfinn

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post18 May 2017, 10:43

Thank you again, very interesting video. Those were some of the chilliest days of the Cold War...

durahawk

Unread post18 May 2017, 16:58

hornetfinn wrote:I love Tu-95 too, it's just so anachronistic these days, even more so than B-52. It just looks and sounds like nothing else. It's interesting that both will likely serve longer than most of us will be able to witness...

I have never heard a Bear in real life before (NORAD usually doesn't let them get that close), but I hear that those counter-rotating props are obnoxiously loud... :mrgreen:

Nicely written article, han9!

han9

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post19 May 2017, 08:12

Glad you liked it.

BTW I have also written this one

http://aerohisto.blogspot.com/2017/03/b ... sting.html

Started a thread about that too but it did not generate any replys.

Return to Military Aircraft of the Cold War