DS dogfight MiG-29 vs F-15 Part II

Cold war, Korea, Vietnam, and Desert Storm - up to and including for example the A-10, F-15, Mirage 200, MiG-29, and F-18.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

oldiaf

Banned

  • Posts: 1434
  • Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:28

Unread post12 Sep 2015, 22:46

This is the account of Captain Jameel Sayhood :
After I shut downed the Tornado the GCI ordered me to help Captain Qasim Khalaf Hamad who couldn't disengage from 2 F-15Cs ... So I changed my direction according to GCI instructions and I was thinking in my mind should I try to Pull these F-15Cs to the heavily SAM defended areas or should I look for the merge ... The first Idea was not a good idea because I know the capabilities of American BVR since witnessed what happened in the first night .. So I moved closer to them , then suddenly my SPO-15 warned me of a lock so I used my Remora ECM pod to break the lock which was succesful for a while but Then the SPO-15 warned me about 2 incoming missiles , I pulled hard with 9 G and evaded the first one but the second one impacted my aircraft and the RED LIGHTS IN THE COCKPIT went crazy ... I know I had to eject as my plane was disintegrating and in few seconds I was in my Parachute ... The landing was rough ... I tried to stand but there was sharp pain in my Rt. leg ( later I discovered it fractured ) ... I was looking to the crash site of the British Tornado which was only 2 Km from my position ... Then a local people found me and took me in their truck ....
Offline

oldiaf

Banned

  • Posts: 1434
  • Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:28

Unread post12 Sep 2015, 22:47

I understood he was promoted after the incident and honorably discharged because of his broken leg
Offline
User avatar

old.iraqi.air.force

Active Member

Active Member

  • Posts: 235
  • Joined: 24 Apr 2013, 20:03
  • Location: Europe

Unread post13 Sep 2015, 02:49

With my respect and highly appreciation to your efforts about all what you post, but here i have to correct this part which far way from what happened, (It is not your fault anyway).
1. Capt. Jameel Sayhood he decided to engage with the U.S F-15's the GCI didn't enter him to the engagement.
2. Remora ECM pod (was working since he took off no need to turn it off or on).
3. While he ejected he was unconscious (due to the G force effect while he was trying to avoid the missile and the impacted for the second missile and ejection process, all these happened at one time) so he impact the ground hard therefore his leg and pelvis broken.
I hope I didn't spoiled you'r thread and accept my participation to make it reliable.
Thank you again!
Offline
User avatar

tomcooper

Active Member

Active Member

  • Posts: 234
  • Joined: 17 Jul 2014, 10:51
  • Location: Haxbach, Schnurliland

Unread post13 Sep 2015, 07:48

oldiaf wrote:This is the account of Captain Jameel Sayhood :
...So I moved closer to them , then suddenly my SPO-15 warned me of a lock so I used my Remora ECM pod to break the lock...
Ahem....

'Remora' pod... on MiG-29... in 1991...?

On Mirage F.1EQ-5 in 1986-1988: YES. On MiG-23 in 1999: YES, no doubt.

But, on MiG-29 in 1991: no way.

Together with that about IR-missile (i.e. R-60MK) causing a 'warning on Tornado's RWR'... this is making this story 'nifty'.

Please, re-check your source.
F-Arba-Ashara!! Yalla, yalla!!
Offline

oldiaf

Banned

  • Posts: 1434
  • Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:28

Unread post13 Sep 2015, 08:33

tomcooper wrote:
oldiaf wrote:This is the account of Captain Jameel Sayhood :
...So I moved closer to them , then suddenly my SPO-15 warned me of a lock so I used my Remora ECM pod to break the lock...
Ahem....

'Remora' pod... on MiG-29... in 1991...?

On Mirage F.1EQ-5 in 1986-1988: YES. On MiG-23 in 1999: YES, no doubt.

But, on MiG-29 in 1991: no way.

Together with that about IR-missile (i.e. R-60MK) causing a 'warning on Tornado's RWR'... this is making this story 'nifty'.

Please, re-check your source.

Apart from Zuhair Dawood account which was original ... The other accounts ( Jameel Sayhood and Qasim Khalaf Hamad ) were introduced on Iraqi military website and I simply translated them ... regarding the RWR .. There was another mention to SPO-15 warning on MiG-29 against AIM-9 !! but this time I didn't put it because obviously I thought I was wrong in the translation for the first incident but after this second one I was sure it is not my fault but the website was either exaggerating the events or simply mis-understood the event.
Offline
User avatar

old.iraqi.air.force

Active Member

Active Member

  • Posts: 235
  • Joined: 24 Apr 2013, 20:03
  • Location: Europe

Unread post13 Sep 2015, 19:04

The power supply at the MIG-29 almost give the same voltage in Mirage F-1, so the Remora pod came fit with the MIG-29 and the wiring was already existing on B-point (MIG-29s wings points) therefore it didn't took long time to modify most Iraqi MIG-29s with Remora pod in 1989.
Offline
User avatar

tomcooper

Active Member

Active Member

  • Posts: 234
  • Joined: 17 Jul 2014, 10:51
  • Location: Haxbach, Schnurliland

Unread post13 Sep 2015, 23:20

oldiaf wrote:...regarding the RWR .. There was another mention to SPO-15 warning on MiG-29 against AIM-9 !!
Ah wait... then he's actually talking about radar warning... that is: there is a radar-working-mode where the seeker-head of the missile is 'slaved' to the radar (can't recall exact expression right now, but think it's called 'boresight' or something like that).

So, the SPO is blarring its warning because the aircraft carrying it (i.e. the MiG in this case) is 'hit' by emissions of a radar changing to that mode (because the pilot used the radar to point the seeker-head of his missile at a specific target).

Whatever the mode in question is called, that makes sense.

old.iraqi.air.force wrote:The power supply at the MIG-29 almost give the same voltage in Mirage F-1...
Look... 'almost the same' is not 'the same'. It's actually quite complex: one needs really a suitable power generator, or the system is not going to work reliably. If that generator is not fitting into the aircraft ('size'), one can't use it.

What you say implies that the Iraqi MiG-29s have got the 'wiring' - and thus a power generator suitable to provide power for Remora pods - already before their delivery, i.e. in the USSR.

...since I doubt the Soviets have had anything suitable for 'French requirements' (French weapons of that generation generally used quite unusual voltage), this would imply Iraqis were 'exporting' French-made power generators (originally intended for use on Mirages) to the Soviet Union for the purpose of these being installed into their MiG-29s.

Is that what actually happened?
F-Arba-Ashara!! Yalla, yalla!!
Offline

oldiaf

Banned

  • Posts: 1434
  • Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:28

Unread post14 Sep 2015, 10:55

tomcooper wrote:
oldiaf wrote:...regarding the RWR .. There was another mention to SPO-15 warning on MiG-29 against AIM-9 !!
Ah wait... then he's actually talking about radar warning... that is: there is a radar-working-mode where the seeker-head of the missile is 'slaved' to the radar (can't recall exact expression right now, but think it's called 'boresight' or something like that).

So, the SPO is blarring its warning because the aircraft carrying it (i.e. the MiG in this case) is 'hit' by emissions of a radar changing to that mode (because the pilot used the radar to point the seeker-head of his missile at a specific target).

Whatever the mode in question is called, that makes sense.

old.iraqi.air.force wrote:The power supply at the MIG-29 almost give the same voltage in Mirage F-1...
Look... 'almost the same' is not 'the same'. It's actually quite complex: one needs really a suitable power generator, or the system is not going to work reliably. If that generator is not fitting into the aircraft ('size'), one can't use it.

What you say implies that the Iraqi MiG-29s have got the 'wiring' - and thus a power generator suitable to provide power for Remora pods - already before their delivery, i.e. in the USSR.

...since I doubt the Soviets have had anything suitable for 'French requirements' (French weapons of that generation generally used quite unusual voltage), this would imply Iraqis were 'exporting' French-made power generators (originally intended for use on Mirages) to the Soviet Union for the purpose of these being installed into their MiG-29s.

Is that what actually happened?

It probably the other way around ... Soviet technicians were invited to Iraq to install these Remora ECM pods on MiG-29
Offline

oldiaf

Banned

  • Posts: 1434
  • Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:28

Unread post14 Sep 2015, 21:56

MiG-29 operating manual ... In Russian :
http://militaryrussia.ru/forum/download ... p?id=22106

Return to Military Aircraft of the Cold War

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests