Which interceptor can stop SR-71?

Cold war, Korea, Vietnam, and Desert Storm - up to and including for example the A-10, F-15, Mirage 200, MiG-29, and F-18.
  • Author

aaam

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post07 Oct 2019, 20:43

mixelflick wrote:
But back on topic... doesn't appear the Mig-25 could stop the SR-71, or at least extremely unlikely. The Mig-31 is another story, and if the Mig-41 ever materializes that should be a mean machine. Personally, I don't think it'll be built. Way too expensive to get to mach 4/whatever they're theorizing, and probably not necessary if they're as far along in hypersonic weapons as they claim to be..

FWIW, I have spoken to crews and unit Commanders on this. Naturally there were quite circumspect but they said they were originally quite nervous about the -31, at least until they actually encountered it (no details provided). After that, with the systems on the Foxhound in those days, they didn't consider it an unmanageable threat.

charlielima223

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post07 Oct 2019, 20:54

aaam wrote:One thing often overlooked in discussions about the SR-71, over and above its speed and altitude there was its electronic countermeasures suite, the DEF. Because there were so few SRs operating at any given time, it was essentially a custom built system where cost was almost no object. It would have been extremely effective against anything coming against it during its operational career, and I am including the1990s.

Somethings about the SR-71 are still cloaked in secrecy to this day. You never hear much about the SR-71s EW suite but back then it was pretty advanced
Go to time index 56:08 where he talked about getting shot at over the DMZ of the Korean peninsula. He mentions a special feature of the SR-71s EW suite.

Previous

Return to Military Aircraft of the Cold War