Nebo-M Radar Complex documentary

New and old developments in aviation technology.
Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by marsavian » 06 Nov 2018, 23:59

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by hornetfinn » 07 Nov 2018, 13:38

I have to say it's pretty impressive piece of kit. Sure as hell even VLO stealth aircraft would need to respect that kind of system. It has huge antenna, huge power and likely pretty impressive processing system as well. I like the Transformers-style shape changing...

Of course there are currently only 20 of them all over Russia, so there will never be very many of them at any potential combat area.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by marsavian » 07 Nov 2018, 13:57

It picked up that small drone around 7-8km (time 14:30) which I suspect has an RCS of 0.1-0.01 sq m. Do you think it could have picked it up earlier or that is its genuine performance ? ~8km would be too late to detect a stealth fighter as bombs would already be heading its way.
Last edited by marsavian on 07 Nov 2018, 14:07, edited 3 times in total.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by marsavian » 07 Nov 2018, 14:02

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by hythelday » 07 Nov 2018, 16:00

Seal of Pantsir combat approval:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by hornetfinn » 09 Nov 2018, 08:29

marsavian wrote:It picked up that small drone around 7-8km (time 14:30) which I suspect has an RCS of 0.1-0.01 sq m. Do you think it could have picked it up earlier or that is its genuine performance ? ~8km would be too late to detect a stealth fighter as bombs would already be heading its way.

I think they could've picked it up earlier as the track seems to be very solid. Impossible to say how much earlier it could've been detected.

I think your eyeball estimate is pretty good. Here is some measurements with small commercial drones: https://users.ece.utexas.edu/~ling/Smal ... i_Ling.pdf
http://radarlab.mht.bme.hu/publ/peto/20 ... _final.pdf

Of course the drone is moving very slowly making detection more difficult than just by calculating max range from RCS. But it still has pretty large RCS compared to VLO stealth aircraft like F-22 or F-35.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by KamenRiderBlade » 09 Nov 2018, 09:36

And guess what just became target #1

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by marsavian » 14 Nov 2018, 11:44

hythelday wrote:Seal of Pantsir combat approval:

Indeed, a more sober less RT tinted analysis with defects noted ...

by juretrn » 14 Nov 2018, 11:46

Combat approved? Definitely not combat proven, LOL.
Russia stronk

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by hythelday » 14 Nov 2018, 11:51

I can't find it now, but once I've seen "Zvezda TV" footage of 4x Pantsirs shooting at a small target drone flying perpendicular through volley of their AAA... for quite some time. There's a guy in the other thread who said Pantsirs would annihilate "non-maneuvering JDAMs". Well, let's just say that I have more faith in JDAMs than Pantsirs in a C-RAM role.

by viper12 » 14 Nov 2018, 14:11

Guys, can we please stop helping Russian propaganda, or are we too dumb to recognize their efforts ?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/23/tech ... ia-rt.html

The Russian channel was among the first news organizations to recognize YouTube’s power and developed content intended to perform well on the platform. *NOT GONNA PUT THEIR NAME TO FURTHER IMPROVE THEIR ALEXA RANKING* uploads videos frequently, sprinkling in buzzy viral videos of disasters — plane crashes, tsunamis, a meteor strike — to earn likes and longer watch times, which YouTube’s algorithm rewards with better placement among search results and recommendations.

The viral videos, which were often borrowed from other sources, help to build up *NOT GONNA PUT THEIR NAME TO FURTHER IMPROVE THEIR ALEXA RANKING*’s subscribers, and they became part of the Kremlin’s audience for more political content.

“People come for the click-bait material,” said Bret Schafer, an official at the Alliance for Securing Democracy, a bipartisan initiative of the German Marshall Fund, the Washington-based public policy research group. “And they eventually land on videos that the Kremlin wants them to see.”

While much of *NOT GONNA PUT THEIR NAME TO FURTHER IMPROVE THEIR ALEXA RANKING*’s traffic stems from nonpolitical videos, the channel’s political and foreign affairs content ranks highly in many YouTube searches. Searches on topics on which the Kremlin is typically eager to promote its point of view — American intervention in Syria, the Ukrainian civil war or the rise of Germany’s far-right AfD party — will often turn up an *NOT GONNA PUT THEIR NAME TO FURTHER IMPROVE THEIR ALEXA RANKING* video as one of the top results.
Everytime you don't tell the facts, you make Putin stronger.

Everytime you're hit by Dunning-Kruger, you make Putin stronger.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by stealthflanker » 21 Nov 2018, 15:46

The small drone were detected at range of 7.9 Km and altitude of about 100 m.

We could work the observable RCS as follows :
(ReferenceRCS/DetectionRange^4)xDetectionRange^4

Now we know that the radar has the ability to detect 1 sqm from 480 km. The drone is detected from 7.9 km

and it's quite straightforward :
(1/480^4)x7.9^4

Then the effective RCS is about 0.000000073 sqm. Still, to get the "academic" RCS value (One seen in journal or test range) one must correct it with path propagation factor (F^4). Nonetheless 7.9 km looks fine for drones might be enough for guiding some shots.

Now some things to note. Based on available brochure. which posted in another thread about counterstealth radar. The Nebo M have minimum operating range of 10 Km. This minimum range constraint is imposed by the mode of shortest pulsewidth.
Any target fall in the region of the minimum range would not be detected or said to be "eclipsed". That would means :

1.The Nebo M have a short range mode (shorter pulse width) which not in brochure
2.The detection is made by another radar (with shorter pulse width)
3.The drone might have an IFF/beacon which are detectable by the radar.