The next Korean War

Discuss air warfare, doctrine, air forces, historic campaigns, etc.
Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by Meathook » 05 Apr 2009, 19:35

Part of me wishes we had shot the damn thing down, I think if we make threats, we should follow through on them or I feel it makes us look weak, I hate that feeling.

I would rather the world give us crap for shooting it down then us doing nothing at all (as we did), it is embarrassing as far as I am concerned, guss I am too much of a hawk at times.
More than likely have "been there and done that at some point", it sure keeps you young if done correctly

by tank_top » 05 Apr 2009, 20:25

I bet we had plenty of ships tracking the Missile while doing simulated intercepts. If N Korea really does want to lob one this way we'll have plenty of time to react. Apparently they are difficult to hide.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by Meathook » 05 Apr 2009, 21:18

I agree with you, we could have taken it out at any time, I am betting the same thing...part of me wishes we had so those SOB's know we mean what we say...oh well, we folded out hand this time
More than likely have "been there and done that at some point", it sure keeps you young if done correctly

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by ptplauthor » 06 Apr 2009, 00:42

part of me wishes we had so those SOB's know we mean what we say...oh well, we folded out hand this time

Me too, but then that risks upsetting Kim, and you don't want to have him throwing a tantrum..anyone else picturing him laying on the floor pounding his fists :lol:

I'm guessing that our technology is advanced enough that we tracked the thing from liftoff, and could tell something wasn't right. The Japanese probably would have shot it down if it looked like it was heading for a landing in their territory.

GS has some pics of Musudan-ri--it shows the missile on the pad, and some other things: http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world ... 090402.htm

Their article on the site itself says the site is nothing like Canaveral in terms of capability to support a worthy missile program. It's not surprising, the NoKos only have one pad.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/dprk/nodong.htm
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by Meathook » 06 Apr 2009, 00:49

Agreed...we bluffed and got called...sadly

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by PhillyGuy » 06 Apr 2009, 03:04

They failed to get anything in orbit, now the entire missile, and its payload, will be retrieved from the Pacific and Sea of Japan for examination. Besides, who really though Barry would give a shoot down order? :lmao:
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by Meathook » 06 Apr 2009, 03:12

You make a great point, guess there is a bright side to this game for the US

by tank_top » 06 Apr 2009, 15:49

Even if NoKo gets a nuke or even several, I don't believe they pose a real or imagined threat directly to the US for at least ten years. Anything they build between now and then could be easily shot down at any time by our forces. I also think it will take at least 15 years for NoKo to proliferate any functional ICBM. Since Kim is old and in poor health I don't think he will last that long. Our only real worry is will he lose the two remaining marbles he has left and go after Japan or S Korea.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by ptplauthor » 06 Apr 2009, 16:02

That Type-O-Dung missile they fired off is supposed to be their ICBM that can hit California, problem with that is all they've managed to do was to kill a few fish when it splashed down. They've yet to have a TD-2 missile that has had a successful launch. Their Nodong missiles are the real worry, those Scud-type stovepipes can still threaten US troops on Japan and in the ROK.

Kim'll be dead inside ten years, if not cirrhosis from all the cognac he drinks (supposedly) or lung cancer from all the Cuban cigars he smokes (again, supposedly according to Nat. Geo.) he'll be put against a wall by one of his comrades for screwing the North Koreans over since he started. There's no coincidence that the famines got real bad after his daddy died and he started calling the shots.

78\/

by skyhigh » 07 Apr 2009, 00:32

Then one of Kim Jong-il's sons would become the next North Korean dictator, and I don't know if he will be as competent as his predecessor or just too egomaniac.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by Meathook » 07 Apr 2009, 01:05

That country has raised hell with its own citizens (both sides of that nation, one way or the other) now since...what....1955 (Cease Fire, that date correct)?

In any event, I see no sign of any positive or changing times in that region any time soon with the attitude that exists there today. I see just more of the same as their technology is being enhanced, the stronger stance they may take in future (especially since we did nothing) dealing with the globe.

I dont feel Korea is more isolated as the "media" promotes due to this event, I think they consider this event another feather in their cap and part of me agrees (they will see it as such) thus giving them another moment to feel pride in their twisted government as they "finger" the West and her Allies!

by skyhigh » 07 Apr 2009, 01:21

July 27, 1953 - date of ceasefire.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by ptplauthor » 07 Apr 2009, 01:39

Korea isn't more isolated now than before the missile launch, probably because they're already as isolated as they can get.

CNN was saying that the North Korean media reports that the satellite is sending back music.

When the North Korean people get their eyes wrenched open to see the real world, it is going to be a nasty surprise for them. When they see that North Korea's stuck in the 40s, and the rest of the world is in the 21st Century, I wouldn't want to be in the NoKo government.

Oh, yeah that sat's first song on the playlist? Under the Sea

78\/

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by Meathook » 07 Apr 2009, 02:16

thanks for the date correction ...skyhigh.

Crazy times we live in for sure ptplauthor

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by PhillyGuy » 07 Apr 2009, 04:10

What I worry is that the delusional military generals who are second only to Kim will take over once he passes, well you can see where that might lead.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."

PreviousNext