Armored Cavalry Regiment vs Marine Expeditionary Unit

Discuss air warfare, doctrine, air forces, historic campaigns, etc.
Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by eloise » 08 Apr 2020, 11:02

Borrow from someon else because I think the question is interesting. Let say we have an island the size of Taiwan protected by an armored cavalry regiment, located on one side of the island. There is a marine expeditionary unit attacked the island and they already set up some (FARP) on the other side. No outside interferent, could the MEU successfully defeat the ACR or they get wiped out.

Their weapons system are as follows:
Armored Cavalry Regiment
123 x M1A3 Abrams
123 x M3A3 Bradley
18 x M109A6 Paladin Howitzer
18 x M121 120mm Mortar Carrier
24 x AH-64E Apache
10 x UH-60L Blackhawk

vs

Marine expeditionary units
4 x M1A3 Abrams
16 x LAV-25
15 x AAVP-7A1
6 x M777 howitzer
8 x M252 81mm mortar
8 x BGM-71 (TOW)
8 x FGM-148 Javelin
6 x AH-1Z Vipe
3 x UH-1Y Venom
12 x MV-22A Osprey
4 x CH-53E Super Stallion
6 x F-35B
2 x KC-130 Hercules
63 x Humvee
5 x RQ-21 Blackjack

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by weasel1962 » 08 Apr 2020, 11:56

The MEU's F-35Bs will try to take out the ACR's helos in the first instance. Then the AH-1s + blackjacks will attempt to locate the ACR, even if mobile. What's missing are the KC-130s flying in the himars. Once located, KBX will be defined before the fun starts.

For the ACR, the idea is to keep moving. Keep the helos out of harm's way. Possibly split up lines of approaches. Try and use the superior size to surround the MEU and then get to work. I'd keep the M1s in reserve, using bradleys (no troops) as recon elements until the MEU location is confirmed (sufficient against HUMVV). At the same identify potential FARP sites so that the Paladins can take these out if possible.

However, the key weakness is the logistics train required to keep the ACR running. Which means the F-35Bs as well as the ISR assets will be looking for logistics trucks and tankers first. Once taken out, the ACR loses its mobility. Once static, KBX etc...

In theory...

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by eloise » 09 Apr 2020, 02:46

weasel1962 wrote:The MEU's F-35Bs will try to take out the ACR's helos in the first instance. Then the AH-1s + blackjacks will attempt to locate the ACR, even if mobile. What's missing are the KC-130s flying in the himars. Once located, KBX will be defined before the fun starts.

For the ACR, the idea is to keep moving. Keep the helos out of harm's way. Possibly split up lines of approaches. Try and use the superior size to surround the MEU and then get to work. I'd keep the M1s in reserve, using bradleys (no troops) as recon elements until the MEU location is confirmed (sufficient against HUMVV). At the same identify potential FARP sites so that the Paladins can take these out if possible.

However, the key weakness is the logistics train required to keep the ACR running. Which means the F-35Bs as well as the ISR assets will be looking for logistics trucks and tankers first. Once taken out, the ACR loses its mobility. Once static, KBX etc...

In theory...

Which one has a higher chance to win in your opinion?
The side with much stronger ground force?
or
The side with nigh-invulnerable aircraft in the scenario?

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by weasel1962 » 09 Apr 2020, 04:03

The F-35Bs are game changers but it depends on the commander. In reality, the ACR will call in the USAF, and there goes the USMC's air advantage. The USMC is also trained to fight in aggressor air environs e.g.

https://www.marcorsyscom.marines.mil/PE ... S/PM-GBAD/

Frankly, I wouldn't want to face either in real ground combat. Better to just sink the ships or down the air transports. Have to get thru the 22s and 35s first though...

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by botsing » 10 Apr 2020, 13:46

eloise wrote:5 x RQ-21 Blackjack

It depends on the size of the island and if the ACR is capable of downing the RQ-21's.

If they cannot down the RQ-21's quick enough then the MEU artillery has a free game. Knowing the effects of modern artillery from Donbass it can be the deciding factor.
"Those who know don’t talk. Those who talk don’t know"

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by eloise » 10 Apr 2020, 15:28

botsing wrote:It depends on the size of the island and if the ACR is capable of downing the RQ-21's.

If they cannot down the RQ-21's quick enough then the MEU artillery has a free game. Knowing the effects of modern artillery from Donbass it can be the deciding factor.

MEU also has 5 F-35, with their more powerful sensor, I think they can direct artillery better than RQ-21. However, ACR has much greater artillery force and I think AH-64E can help direct artillery.
The island is the size of Taiwan with similar terrain

weasel1962 wrote:The F-35Bs are game changers but it depends on the commander. In reality, the ACR will call in the USAF, and there goes the USMC's air advantage. The USMC is also trained to fight in aggressor air environs e.g.

For the sake of discussion, neither can call for help

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by botsing » 10 Apr 2020, 20:36

eloise wrote:MEU also has 5 F-35, with their more powerful sensor, I think they can direct artillery better than RQ-21. However, ACR has much greater artillery force and I think AH-64E can help direct artillery.
The island is the size of Taiwan with similar terrain

The RQ-21 have a much longer persistence and can cover a much wider area.

The F-35's on station time with just 6 F-35B will be minimal compared to the RQ-21 endurance that ranges from 16 hours to 24 hours.

If you have targets illuminated you can kill them, if not you die.
"Those who know don’t talk. Those who talk don’t know"

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 11 Apr 2020, 03:36

“Borrow from someon else because I think the question is interesting.“

Only on the interweb... :roll: