CAS training for F-15E using Idaho cities faces lawsuit

Discuss air warfare, doctrine, air forces, historic campaigns, etc.
Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by marsavian » 15 Apr 2019, 23:40

https://taskandpurpose.com/idahoans-to- ... 3.amp.html

In a complaint filed earlier this month in the U.S. District Court of Idaho, a group of Boise residents allege that the Air Force's Urban Close Air Support Air and Ground Training Project — proposed by the 366th Fighter Wing at Mountain Home Air Force Base in January — endangers the safety of Idahoans by "authoriz[ing] thousands of annual overflights of F-15 military jets, coupled with on-the-ground troop activity within the cities, occurring day and night."

Civilian complaints about military exercises in their neighborhoods aren't unusual, but this complaint alleges that the Air Force Urban CAS Training Project "establishes a permanent urban military training program centered over nine cities across southern Idaho, from Boise to Burley ... for up to 160 days per year."

The ground and airspace training would includes urban CAS proficiency exercises with unarmed F-15E Strike Eagle aircrews from two of Mountain AFB's squadrons flying between 10,000 and 18,000 feet with ground support from joint terminal attack controllers identifying targets with "low power, eye-safe lasers" — quite literally using unsuspecting city centers for practice, per a January 2018 Air Force planning document:

Prior to mission training operations, F-15E aircrews would maintain flight in a circular path, known as a CAS wheel, in the airspace that overlies the farther outskirts of town or the outermost edge of the 15-NM radius from the urban center point.

Ground teams would be working within the urban center in accordance with their particular force position (FFOR or OPFOR). To begin a mission scenario, members of the FFOR team would contact aircrews flying in the CAS wheel with a request for air support to identify and locate a hostile threat. The aircraft would separate from the CAS wheel, fly toward the urban center point, and be guided with instrumentation and communication to identify, track, and simulate neutralization of the OPFOR.

The two aircraft would fly throughout the airspace overlying the city in a wedge formation where the lead aircraft would be positioned at a lower altitude and ahead of the second aircraft. The second aircraft serves to cover the lead aircraft from a higher altitude and reasonable distance behind, where visibility surrounding the first aircraft can be maintained. Flight tracking of OPFOR would continue until the point of simulated weapons fire. Upon mission completion, the aircraft would return to the installation ....

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 16 Apr 2019, 12:51

They can come here, to practice CAS or whatever they'd like on my city. In fact, I'd consider it an honor.

It'really is interesting how different people view these things. A town over from me,they fly F-15C's. Some people think they're too noisy. When I hear the roar of those F-100's though, it brings a smile to my face. Seeing them is even better, because I know those men protect our communities. It is as they say, the sound of freedom.

And that's how I'm teaching my boy to think about it too...

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by F-16ADF » 16 Apr 2019, 13:39

If those people complained about noise from Eagles and Vipers; they would of had multiple heart attacks if they ever experienced Phantoms flying over their homes.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 16 Apr 2019, 15:54

f-16adf wrote:If those people complained about noise from Eagles and Vipers; they would of had multiple heart attacks if they ever experienced Phantoms flying over their homes.

Back in the 70s we had F-4s and F-105s flying over our town. :shock: And I loved it.
"There I was. . ."