Israel strike Syrian SA-22

Discuss air warfare, doctrine, air forces, historic campaigns, etc.
Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by basher54321 » 10 May 2018, 21:21

The IDF have posted a video of some kind of weapon (Delilah?) flying into an SA-22 during a recent operation against Syria.

Warning not for the faint hearted.

https://twitter.com/IDFSpokesperson/sta ... 5007607813

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 10 May 2018, 22:11

Lol.. Faint-hearted?
A typical action movie shows more.

"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by botsing » 10 May 2018, 22:22

Is that footage not from a IAI Harop suicide drone?

Due to the slow approach speed it seems unlikely to me that this was a Delilah missile.
"Those who know don’t talk. Those who talk don’t know"

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by hythelday » 10 May 2018, 22:41

botsing wrote:Is that footage not from a IAI Harop suicide drone?

Due to the slow approach speed it seems unlikely to me that this was a Delilah missile.

SPICE and Harop seem to have video feed/symbology different from this one.

(Supposedly) Delilah:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SNYUXgl7SsM

Or maybe Tamuz?:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vpSpha7bKgo

Can't wait for them to bag a S-300 and see butthurt brigade come up with usual excuses of downgraded export models and inadequate crews.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by botsing » 10 May 2018, 22:54

hythelday wrote:SPICE and Harop seem to have video feed/symbology different from this one.

(Supposedly) Delilah:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SNYUXgl7SsM

I think you are correct. That Delilah video you posted does indeed show the same symbology as the SA22 video.

The Harop video feed that I could find had a different symbology:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi4ICfLDqtQ
"Those who know don’t talk. Those who talk don’t know"

by juretrn » 10 May 2018, 23:33

I thought Pantsir is specifically made to defend against cruise missiles and drones and is super effective in that role? What gives?
I guess marketing is easy.
Russia stronk

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 10 May 2018, 23:46

It was either turned off, getting reloaded, etc.

The crew was standing on the side of the road and one ran back.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 11 May 2018, 00:22

Real world : 1
Brochure hype : 0
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

by citanon » 11 May 2018, 07:16

Look at the last seconds of it. The missiles were not even pointed in the right direction.

This was IR footage so I'm guessing at night. They might have been looking for targets in one direction, never even saw the little missile sneaking in from the other direction.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by hornetfinn » 11 May 2018, 11:16

citanon wrote:Look at the last seconds of it. The missiles were not even pointed in the right direction.

This was IR footage so I'm guessing at night. They might have been looking for targets in one direction, never even saw the little missile sneaking in from the other direction.

Yes, it seems like the unit did not have any early warning. It was definitely not searching for targets on its own as the surveillance radar was not rotating. My guess is that they were not expecting any immediate air attack at the time. So it was pretty much perfect timing for Israeli forces!

by citanon » 11 May 2018, 11:30

hornetfinn wrote:
citanon wrote:Look at the last seconds of it. The missiles were not even pointed in the right direction.

Yes, it seems like the unit did not have any early warning. It was definitely not searching for targets on its own as the surveillance radar was not rotating. My guess is that they were not expecting any immediate air attack at the time. So it was pretty much perfect timing for Israeli forces!

Ahh I see. Good point about the radar. I wonder how long the Israelis were observing them to find the perfect time to strike.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by hornetfinn » 11 May 2018, 11:58

It would be really interesting to know the events leading up to such successful attack. Syrian side was definitely totally unaware of the attack or they had serious communications problems. Otherwise the Pantsir would've tried to fight or alternatively be driven to safety. It was basically a sitting and sleeping duck in the middle of the airfield.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by mk82 » 12 May 2018, 08:17

juretrn wrote:I thought Pantsir is specifically made to defend against cruise missiles and drones and is super effective in that role? What gives?
I guess marketing is easy.

There is an easy answer Juretrn, the Pantsir is another example of over hyped and hot farting Russian marketing. More importantly, what the glossy Russian SAM brochures don’t show you is the importance of human factors/human competence ........which is always the most important factor in any weapon system. Looks like only one of the 4 Syrian Pantsir operators realized (rather belatedly) that they were under direct attack. The other 3 dudes were standing around not realizing they had their “pants down”.

by citanon » 12 May 2018, 08:57

Yeah, but Darwin stepped in against the alert one.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by snypa777 » 12 May 2018, 20:54

The answer could be much simpler. When the IAF are flying overhead, the safest place for a Pantsir crew is not in the vehicle. There have been numerous reports of Syrians not being "up for a fight" from Iranian and Russian sources. Also, if you are radiating and active, you're just going to become a target for an ARM at some point.
"I may not agree with what you say....but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

Next