F-35 vs. DPRK

Discuss air warfare, doctrine, air forces, historic campaigns, etc.
Banned

by tincansailor » 08 Sep 2017, 04:14

[
quote="madrat"]I think you may have misjudged the scope of your own question.

[/quote]

I think your right my friend. Talking about an abstract comparison of weapons systems is one thing. An actual use of force in a real war involves a lot more. First off it's a political decision, someone has to take the responsibility for all the attendant consequences. A war is dynamic, the enemy gets a vote. You have to assume the enemy is also brave, and strong. They also have a brain, and their reactions can take you by surprise. Always be confident, but never treat the enemy with contempt. Act with boldness, but never recklessly. War should never be entered into lightly, which was my real intent in bringing up the subject. Take care all.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 08 Sep 2017, 05:05

Sometimes I think you do it on purpose :doh:
Attachments
2017-09-07 21_04_10-F-35 vs. DPRK - Air Power.png
2017-09-07 21_04_10-F-35 vs. DPRK - Air Power.png (12.98 KiB) Viewed 22898 times
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Banned

by tincansailor » 08 Sep 2017, 08:14

SpudmanWP wrote:Sometimes I think you do it on purpose :doh:

Why do you keep bringing this up? It's the third time you corrected me. How many times do you want me to apologize for the error? Sorry.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by botsing » 08 Sep 2017, 11:44

tincansailor wrote:

Why do you keep bringing this up? It's the third time you corrected me. How many times do you want me to apologize for the error? Sorry.

As long as it keeps happening I guess. :mrgreen:

I like your thoughts about NK btw.
"Those who know don’t talk. Those who talk don’t know"

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by nutshell » 09 Sep 2017, 18:36

Let's say you've build a new home, that costed you lot of money.

Now the neighborhood where you did build your new home get so hostile you want to throw molotov cocktails all around and burn everything down.

Now the question: would you level the whole neighborhood even if that means bye bye to your house?

Because that's China with the West.

I'd like to start a game. This game consists on posting every Chinese investment made in your country you are aware of and its relative worth.
Let's see how much money China is planning to loose.

I start with some small things.

A.C Milan - State related (ministry of sport). 1B €.
F.C. Inter - Suning Group - 1B €
Telecom Italia - Around 4B €
Gruppo Pirelli (yea the tyre maker) - 7B €
Ansaldo Energia (the same Ansaldo part of the Eurofighter program) - 5B €
Unicredit and Monte dei Paschi - 1B €

Let's see how it escalates as soon as bigger and more important countries are involved.

Banned

by tincansailor » 09 Oct 2017, 10:49

It was pointed out to me the other day that there is another reason not to attack NK. NK could retaliate with an EMP attack on SK, and Japan, and there would be nothing we could do about it. They have been shooting missiles 480mi over Japan, none of our systems can shoot down a missile that high. I understand 300ni is about the optimum altitude for an EMP blast. Even that is beyond our range, at this time.

The chances of a boost phase interception with an SM-3 is about nil. By the time the Aegis ship could start tracking the missile it would be a stern chase, with no time to catch it. I just don't know how we could deal with that kind of threat. Does anyone have an answer?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 09 Oct 2017, 14:41

AFAIK the SM-3 has the wrong warhead to attempt a BPI. A SM-6 would have a better chance if it was within range and launched early enough. Basically an AMRAAM on steroids. This is where a F-35 could feasibly provide collaborative targeting of an ascending BM independent of the AEGIS ship's radar.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 09 Oct 2017, 16:31

Back to the topic at hand..

We're going to need the F-35 (or a platform like it) and lots of them to get NK's mobile launch batteries. Sure, we've gotten better at it since GW1 but if even 1 gets through with a nuclear/chemical or biological warhead.... goodbye SK.

I'm quite confident we'll destroy all fixed launch assets in a massive (probably 3 waves at least) airstrike. But those solid fueled, road mobile and SLBM's concern me. They must be giving US warfighter's many a sleepless night. In NK, the F-35 finds its raison d etre...

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by nutshell » 10 Oct 2017, 21:57

Other then nukes; what's the best way to generate such a strong emp to fry the whole south korea?

The energy you'd need is a lot; is that even possible?

Russia's starfleet level of realism?

by flighthawk128 » 10 Oct 2017, 23:58

nutshell wrote:Other then nukes; what's the best way to generate such a strong emp to fry the whole south korea?

The energy you'd need is a lot; is that even possible?

Russia's starfleet level of realism?

As far as I know, only a nuclear detonation could create that powerful of an EMP blast to cover all of South Korea.

Of course, who knows what black projects the Americans have that might have been able to solve this, but the NorKs having that tech? Please...

China on the other hand has caught up to the west in a ton of different areas, so who knows if they may have been working on developing that capability.

Banned

by tincansailor » 05 Dec 2017, 07:05

Events have move ahead in the Korea crisis. The NK's now have a missile that can reach Washington, and NYC. We don't know if the missile carried the weight of a warhead, so it might not really to be able to fly that far. It also seems the reentry vehicle broke up, suggesting they may not be able to actually hit a target That's the good news, the bad news is their getting closer to their goal of an operational ICBM.

Tonight we are now involved with ROK forces in war games, training to take out missile launchers. The media is reporting this is the largest concentration of stealth aircraft ever. F-22s, and air force, and marine corps F-35s are in the forefront of a fleet of 230 combat aircraft training to attack NK targets. The USN has 3 carrier groups in the Western Pacific, that can be in a position to strike NK in a matter of days. Japan is on alert, and cooperating with U.S. forces.

The diplomatic front looks bleak. People in Washington are almost in countdown mode. A U.S. senator has suggested it's time to send service families home, and advised American Civilians not to go to Seoul. The conservative party in SK is suggesting it may be time to reintroduce American tactical nuclear weapons to SK. If we do that we end any chance of NK giving up their nuclear weapons. China's position would harden.

I don't know where this is going, but it doesn't look good. It maybe the F-35 will get an early combat debut. Again I ask my original question how would the F-35 be used in a conflict in Korea, and how well will it do? Now with 3F software is it ready for prime time? This might be a case of ready or not here I come.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by neptune » 05 Dec 2017, 09:10

tincansailor wrote:Events have move ahead in the Korea crisis. ...

If the DPRK attack the US or allies, then hopefully the DPRK families and relatives will cross the DMZ similar to the Germans and the Berlin Wall, and leave the "mad dog" military to reap the harm they seek. I pray they see the light and chose to pursue the economic bounties that are available in SK. The reunification of that country in a republic society would be a great end to this story of tension, but as TR said "walk softly and carry a big stick".
:|

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 05 Dec 2017, 17:24

Bill sweetman level of your text is not what I like there, spud
Choose Crews

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 05 Dec 2017, 21:40

Sorry, malformed markup is a pet peeve.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by rheonomic » 06 Dec 2017, 03:44

[i]
Spudma[/quote]nWP"[quote="SpudmanWP][quot="SpudmanWP wrote:
SudmanWP wrote:S
SpudmanWP wrote:orry, malformed markup is a pet peeve.

[/quote][/b[/quote]]

Understandable, I think...

neptune wrote:If the DPRK attack the US or allies, then hopefully the DPRK families and relatives will cross the DMZ similar to the Germans and the Berlin Wall, and leave the "mad dog" military to reap the harm they seek. I pray they see the light and chose to pursue the economic bounties that are available in SK. The reunification of that country in a republic society would be a great end to this story of tension, but as TR said "walk softly and carry a big stick".

Least likely outcome, IMO. Kims know that as soon as they're no longer a totalitarian hellhole they end up like Mussolini or Ceaușescu.

Not to mention the costs of reunification; look at how much it cost the Germans, and the DDR wasn't anywhere near as backwards and brainwashed as the DPRK.
"You could do that, but it would be wrong."

PreviousNext