Space command ?

Discuss air warfare, doctrine, air forces, historic campaigns, etc.

by ford2go » 24 Jul 2017, 07:23

I've been reading that there is a congressional initiative to force the USAF to develop a separate Space Command.

USAF does not agree. Congress(people) are saying things like - low promotion rates (and other bad news) for personnel associated with space. They are also mentioning that they control the $$.

I generally hate when the congress micromanages, but maybe there is an issue here.

Welcome any opinions,

hj

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 24 Jul 2017, 09:39

The Navy may argue that operating in space is more analogous to operating on/under the high seas. :D
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by durahawk » 24 Jul 2017, 16:58

I cannot see how adding another layer of bureaucracy could possibly be a solution to anything. This is a solution to a problem that doesn't seem to exist. Low promotion and funding rates within Air Force Space Command, if in fact a legitimate problem, could be better addressed using other channels.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by neptune » 25 Jul 2017, 15:30

durahawk wrote:I cannot see how adding another layer of bureaucracy could possibly be a solution to anything. This is a solution to a problem that doesn't seem to exist. Low promotion and funding rates within Air Force Space Command, if in fact a legitimate problem, could be better addressed using other channels.

....if and when they establish a space base (where ever it may be with weapons and vehicles) then they may have a basis for establishing a cadre for staffing/ operating; but not before.
:wink:

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by tacf-x » 25 Jul 2017, 17:07

durahawk wrote:I cannot see how adding another layer of bureaucracy could possibly be a solution to anything. This is a solution to a problem that doesn't seem to exist. Low promotion and funding rates within Air Force Space Command, if in fact a legitimate problem, could be better addressed using other channels.

The Air Force themselves seem adamant that the US is going to have to heavily weaponize space in order to defend against Chinese or Russian ASAT attacks. Congress may be responding by trying to ensure that if the US must weaponize space, then it may do so with a dedicated branch of people who aren't liable to being cannibalized by the USAF brass who could care less about space assets.