Reset, Rebuild, Rethink US Defense Concepts of Operations

Discuss air warfare, doctrine, air forces, historic campaigns, etc.
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 22 Aug 2013, 13:01

Reset, Rebuild, Rethink US Defense Concepts of Operations 2013-08-22 by Michael W. Wynne, 21st Secretary, USAF

http://www.sldinfo.com/reset-rebuild-re ... perations/

by rotosequence » 23 Aug 2013, 00:37

That was a painful wall of Public Relations speak to wade through. In summary, the solution to the upcoming budgetary realities and woes is to rely on the capabilities of the expensive new toys that are available in fewer numbers due to budget cuts, at the perceived expense of proven fundamentals.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by lookieloo » 23 Aug 2013, 00:45

rotosequence wrote:That was a painful wall of Public Relations speak to wade through. In summary, the solution to the upcoming budgetary realities and woes is to rely on the capabilities of the expensive new toys that are available in fewer numbers due to budget cuts, at the perceived expense of proven fundamentals.
... like the airpower equivalent of Civil War human wave tactics. Try again Sprey.

by rotosequence » 23 Aug 2013, 01:05

lookieloo wrote:
rotosequence wrote:That was a painful wall of Public Relations speak to wade through. In summary, the solution to the upcoming budgetary realities and woes is to rely on the capabilities of the expensive new toys that are available in fewer numbers due to budget cuts, at the perceived expense of proven fundamentals.
... like the airpower equivalent of Civil War human wave tactics. Try again Sprey.

Having a bad feeling about shutting down pilot training schools is program agnostic, thank you very much.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by count_to_10 » 23 Aug 2013, 01:07

I got: networking, third party targeting, and hand-off of stand-off weaponry to forward observers.
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.

Uncertainty: Learn it, love it, live it.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 23 Aug 2013, 01:52

Training methodologies will have to change and adapt to remain relevant, just like everything else,,driven by technological change, new operational requirements, fiscal considerations, etc. Forward thinking and the willingness to embrace new training concepts must supplant the "business as usual" mentality.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 23 Aug 2013, 02:24

Deleted
Last edited by popcorn on 23 Aug 2013, 03:37, edited 1 time in total.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by lookieloo » 23 Aug 2013, 02:50

rotosequence wrote:Having a bad feeling about shutting down pilot training schools is program agnostic, thank you very much.
I'm pretty sure the fundamentals can be taught without today's structure of costly, over-bloated, internationalist-feel-good exercises in which half the participants are mostly trying to collect ELINT data on the other half. Red flag isn't what it used to be from what I hear.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 23 Aug 2013, 03:14

From where I sit it seems from what I have read is that such large exercises will be virtual - with participants linking via their F-35 simulators and any others that can be so networked. All kinds of baddies can be simulated at the same time and so on. USN/USMC will participate sometimes at sea with their transportable sims where possible.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 23 Aug 2013, 03:44

The Embedded Training capability built into the jet will provide the benefits of operating the jet in the real world while simultaneously interacting with virtual constructs.. heck, they can see how the F-35 fares vs kaiju if they wanted to. :lol:

by rotosequence » 23 Aug 2013, 04:08

popcorn wrote:The Embedded Training capability built into the jet will provide the benefits of operating the jet in the real world while simultaneously interacting with virtual constructs.. heck, they can see how the F-35 fares vs kaiju if they wanted to. :lol:

I'd love to see that :p

I hope the loss of G-forces doesn't make too much difference in practice.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 23 Aug 2013, 04:47

rotosequence wrote:
popcorn wrote:The Embedded Training capability built into the jet will provide the benefits of operating the jet in the real world while simultaneously interacting with virtual constructs.. heck, they can see how the F-35 fares vs kaiju if they wanted to. :lol:

I'd love to see that :p

I hope the loss of G-forces doesn't make too much difference in practice.

Why the "loss of G-forces"?

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by arrow-nautics » 23 Aug 2013, 05:03

DELETED

by rotosequence » 23 Aug 2013, 06:01

popcorn wrote:Why the "loss of G-forces"?

They were advocating the use of simulators rather than actual flight hours for aircraft familiarization due to cost concerns no? Unless I direly misunderstand the capabilities of Air Force flight simulators, they can't give you the forces involved in a sustained high-G maneuver.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 23 Aug 2013, 06:25

rotosequence wrote:
popcorn wrote:Why the "loss of G-forces"?

They were advocating the use of simulators rather than actual flight hours for aircraft familiarization due to cost concerns no? Unless I direly misunderstand the capabilities of Air Force flight simulators, they can't give you the forces involved in a sustained high-G maneuver.

Ground-based simulators are one thing.

The Embedded Training module on the F-35 is a different thing altogether. Training instructors can program different virtual threat scenarios that would be presented to pilots actually flying their jets on their respective displays, just as if this info was coming from the jets' onboard and offboard data sources. Pilots would then be free to exercise the appropriate tactics to coordinate their actions and pull Gs maneuvering their aircraft and launch simulated missiles to deal with the threat. It is intended to simulate operating in the BVR arena which is where the preponderance of A2A engagements would occur.

Next